Naaki asked in PetsDogs · 8 years ago

My Dog Ate Rat Poison!?

my Rott ate rat poison a few hours ago and i gave him almost a whole bottle of peroxide (oops, didn't have time to think just act) and immediately after he started throwing up. We called the vet and she said that we should be fine until Monday since it appears he threw it all up. he's his happy jolly self running around the house but I was wondering how long it would take him to show effects. He ate about 80% of what was in the box before I caught him. He weighs about 90 pounds and seems to be fine but how long before I know? can he wait until Monday??

Update:

Thanks for all your answers guys we took him to another animal hospital other than the one we called because obviously they were crazy and they gave us vitamin K pills for the next couple weeks without examining him because he wouldn't let anybody get near him (lol), and we already had induced vomiting. We have a follow up appointment for next week . We figured it was better to be safe than sorry.

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Best answer

    Major emergency. As high as you can get. To the emergency vet for blood work and specialist treatment. Rat poison will kill him horribly through severe internal bleeding and ruptures. Take him now...please. Time is of the Essence do not take any chances at all here. Ingesting rat poison in small amounts could kill and he ate the lot.

  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

    NO. He needs to be seen by a vet and given medication to counter the rat poison - NOW.

    I honestly can't understand your vet's comments about waiting for Monday - unless she just doesn't want to bother to turn out. That's bad. Very bad.

    Why don't you Google to see how rat poison works. It thins the blood to the point the rat bleeds out. And actually I imagine it's quite painful.

  • 8 years ago

    VET now.. He will die if you wait. And some poisons should not be forced to be thrown u. Call poison control and an emergency vet. If not too late

  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

    Your vet cant say your dog will be fine he has not seen the dog and some will of been ingested phone your vet back or find another vet

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 8 years ago

    you need to get him to an emergancy vetinary clinic he may have thrown up but that dosent mean that he didnt have time to digest any it can take anything from 24- 48 hours for symptems to show and by then it could be too late play it safe ang get ur dog seen to

  • 8 years ago

    This sounds harsh but this is how my dog died. He was a labrador so quite big, get him to the vet. We never knew our dog had eaten it, you know so you should get him seen to immedietly before it is too late. (neighbours did it -.-)x

    Source(s): It happened to me..
  • 8 years ago

    Good dog owner better safe than sorry.

    Hope your dog is okay.

  • 8 years ago

    Rush to the nearest Vet. Hurry up!!

  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

    Take him straight to the vets! Its better to be safe than sorry.

  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

    Getting poison out of your dog’s system as soon as possible is crucial, but in the case of some poisons, vomiting can cause even more harm. If you know your dog has ingested a particular poison and your vet or poison control center advises vomiting, induce vomiting by giving your dog a 3 percent hydrogen peroxide solution. Give one teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight every 15 to 20 minutes, no more than three times, until the dog vomits.

    Always induce vomiting if you know your dog has swallowed an overdose of his medication or has gobbled human medication like acetaminophen (such as Tylenol), ibuprofen (such as Advil), diet pills, sleeping pills, heart pills, blood pressure pills, antihistamines, vitamins, or any other medication not specifically prescribed for your dog.

    After your dog vomits, give him activated charcoal to bind remaining poison and keep it from damaging your dog. Keep 5-gram tablets of compressed activated charcoal in your emergency first aid kit. Administer one tablet per 10 pounds of body weight. Tablets are the easiest form of activated charcoal to administer to your dog. Alternatively, give your dog 1/4 cup egg white mixed with 1/4 cup milk per 10 pounds of body weight, administered with a plastic syringe into your dog’s cheek.

    If your dog has ingested an acid, alkali, cleaning solution, household chemical or petroleum product, do not induce vomiting! Seek medical treatment immediately. Rinse out your dog’s mouth and give him water or milk to dilute the poison.

    Other signs you should not induce vomiting are:

    If your dog is showing neurological symptoms like seizures, convulsions, or an unsteady gait.

    If your dog has ingested a product that says "Do not induce vomiting" on the label.

    If your dog is unconscious or having trouble breathing.

    If your dog has swallowed a sharp object such as a bone fragment.

    If your dog has already vomited.

    Many parents have syrup of ipecac in the medicine cabinet to induce vomiting in children who have ingested poison, and this remedy was once commonly prescribed for dogs, too. However, hydrogen peroxide is more effective and safer for dogs than syrup of ipecac, which should be avoided unless your vet specifically advises it.

    If your dog ingests a poison intended for pests, either in the house or in the yard, immediately induce vomiting except as indicated above.

    Antifreeze poisoning is common in dogs because antifreeze often leaks from car radiators and it tastes sweet. Pet owners may not be aware they have a puddle of antifreeze in their garage until the dog starts sniffing with interest. Three ounces of antifreeze can kill a 40-pound dog. Symptoms of antifreeze poisoning occur 30 minutes to 12 hours after ingestion and include vomiting, "drunken" behavior, depressed behavior, and coma. Dogs often die from antifreeze poisoning, and those that seem to recover may develop kidney failure within a few days.

    Induce vomiting immediately if your dog has ingested even a small amount of antifreeze, then take your dog to the vet without delay. Activated charcoal can help to keep your dog’s system from absorbing the poison.

    Excerpted from The Simple Guide to a Healthy Dog by Eve Adamson, published by TFH Publications, used with permission.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.