Tips on becoming a police officer?

I'm an 18 year old female looking forward to a career in law enforcement. I've done one ride-along with a deputy in my county and five ride-alongs with a the patrolmen in my town. (And now that I'm 18, I plan on riding with a state trooper) Anyway, one night when I was with an officer, we went back to... show more I'm an 18 year old female looking forward to a career in law enforcement. I've done one ride-along with a deputy in my county and five ride-alongs with a the patrolmen in my town. (And now that I'm 18, I plan on riding with a state trooper) Anyway, one night when I was with an officer, we went back to the police department so he could work on a little paperwork, and I noticed as he was writing reports that he could type quite efficiently. I figure that learning to type would be a good skill to acquire before becoming a police officer. What are some other basic skills that would be worth learning before becoming a police officer? Also, like I previously stated, I have done six ride-alongs. I was also president of the local law enforcement explorer post before it ended. The past two summers, I attended the Indiana State Police camp. My junior year of high school, I took a college criminal justice course. This summer I'll be going to basic training for the Army Reserves. I signed as an MP. I thought the discipline and the physical fitness would help me get on somewhere. When I get back from training, I'm going to Vincennes University (one of, if not the best criminal justice colleges in Indiana) to study Law Enforcement, Homeland Security and Public Safely. Is there anything else I should consider doing as I prepare for college and a future career in policing?

Much respect and many thanks,
Kate
Update: I'm looking for something to just give me an edge. This field is becoming more and more competitive every year and it's the only thing I want to do. I know there's Affirmative Action but to be honest, it ticks me off. If I'm going to get a job on somewhere, I want it to be because I was simply the... show more I'm looking for something to just give me an edge. This field is becoming more and more competitive every year and it's the only thing I want to do. I know there's Affirmative Action but to be honest, it ticks me off. If I'm going to get a job on somewhere, I want it to be because I was simply the best candidate. Not just because I'm female and the department needs to get it's numbers up.