Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 8 years ago

" prayer is the most powerful source of energy one can generate, it is a force as real as terrestrial gravity?

A quote by Nobel prize winner, Dr Alexis Carrel.

He continues " As a physician, I have seen men, after all other therapy has failed,lifted out of diseasea and melancholy by the serene effort of prayer......Prayer like radium is a source of luminous, self-generating energy.......In Prayer, human beings seek to augment their finite energy by addressing themselves to the Infinite source of all energy. When we pray, we link ourselves to the inexhaustible motive power that spins the universe. We pray that a part of this power be apportioned to our needs. Even in asking, our human deficiencies are filled and we arise strengthened and repaired.. Whenever we adress God in fervent prayer, we change both soul and body for the better . It could not happen that any man or woman could pray for a single moment without any good result "

What are your thoughts on Dr Carrels words on prayer ?

Ok.

Pray always. Romans 10:9,17.

SDA

It is not backed up by most people's experience, that's for sure.

Many folks have not experienced any response to their prayers, and we have to assume the prayers were reasonably sincere, so the man's comment about unproductive prayer is simply either incredibly naively wrong, or the man's deliberately making stuff up out of thin air.

Yes, people feel prayer helps them, but I am not convinced that they are even the majority, and this guy seems to think that every single prayer gets a response.

I wish people would stop making this stuff up, since it's manifestly untrue.

Being a Nobel prize winner is irrelevant. The inventor of the transistor decided he could figure out what was what in intelligence testing (utterly outside his area of expertise) and he came up with a lot of racist hockum that was totally, utterly wrong, and wouldn't listen when experts tried to explain that he had basically messed up his entire effort.

• John J

This sounds like an 'appeal to authority' argument to me.

I don't doubt Dr Carrel's intelligence for one minute but culturally he lived in a completely different world to us. Born in 1873, he was already well into middle-age when he won a Nobel Prize in 1912. A belief in the efficacy of prayer was not unusual in those days, even for a distinguished surgeon like Dr Carrel.

Would he hold the same view if he were alive today? We cannot know but statistically it would be most unlikely. And would it matter one jot if he did? Nope, not at all.

Even thought prayer may necessarily not reach whoever they are praying to. It sounds interesting, naturally. Prayer gives an individual hope and happiness, to think somebody is listening. That is a powerful action to me if it gives that kind of hope and happiness to a person's life.

A very complex and confused man:

"In his book 'Man, the Unknown', he endorsed eugenics and advocated destroying humanity's "inferior stock" in gas chambers. For the German edition of the book he wrote a special introduction praising the Nazis."

Apparently he didn't think prayer alone would improve mankind. Gas chambers would also be needed.

• Thomas

All praise be to the Almighty Father Yahuwah in the name Yahushuwah!

• Rob

I just read an article today that scientist have agreed 4-2 that free will may not exist. My whole life has been turned asunder.

I've heard someone else talk about this but I can't remember their name. It's a very interesting and clever point!

• Pilot

That's really interesting! You wouldn't normally expect a Nobel Prize winning biologist to say that. . . anyway, really interesting, thanks for sharing.

wrong.