cyclical structure (returning to the beginning)?

what is the effect in a novel of returning to the same person or place that was in the beginning of the novel??

Thanks :)

• Ruby

Depending on what happens in the story and where it began, it can have a number of effects. It could imply something positive; perhaps that life itself is cyclical and equal, and on going like a circle. So people live, people die and then it happens again like the seasons. It could mean that nothing can change and the story will always return to the base point, that the same things happen again and again and there is nothing that the characters can do about it. This could seem hopeless.

• mah

Cyclical Structure

• Louise

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avWaS

A successful query letter should be terse, taut, and evocative. It has to make the reader crave more; so I have to be brutally frank, your letter is wordy, stiff and dull. The letter should be no more than one page (single spaced with double spacing between paragraphs. No indentation). The first paragraph is your "hook,"and should consist of a series of unexpected and provocative questions about your subject. (This is important because you have to demonstrate that your book is going to tell me something more than I already know. You MUST surprise me). The second paragraph is your "text explanation." Here you will give me greater insight into your methodology. How will you answer the questions you asked in the first paragraph? Give me a brief (very brief) appreciation for the evidence you will use. You may use two paragraphs to explain this if you must Paragraph three/four gives me a brief biography to let me know that you have the expertise to write this book. Who are you? What is your background? Why are you qualified to write this? It also gives preliminary market information. Who will read this book? Why is it topical? Are there any competitive titles? Why is yours better? You need to answer all of these questions. And finally, paragraph four/five contains the manuscript information (length, and stage of completion). It thanks me for my time, and expresses your hope that you will hear from me soon. (All of your contact information should be contained at the top of the letter on the right margin). If my going over the structure seems a bit anal-retentive, so be it. Agents and editors deal with queries every day; and getting it right is more a science than an art. You need to watch your prose and omit needless words. I promise you, phrases like "insidious and sinister, I invite you on a journey and a story," and, "it is a discourse on hypothesis and disposition" will get your letter tossed. I know this isn't what you want to hear; but this IS what you NEED to hear. Hope it helps. As an addendum, my guess is that this would be your first book. That being the case, please have it completed before you query anyone. Agents and editors never EVER consider representing new authors without a finished manuscript -- unless you're a former President of the United States or a convicted serial killer.

Animal Farm is a perfect example of a book with cyclical structure. In Chapter One you have Jones in charge. The animals then spend ten chapters going through "revolution" and "change" and all sorts of struggles. At the end, Napoleon put on clothes from Jones's closet and acts exactly like him.

The effect is to show the reader that a promise of change doesn't always mean things will change. No matter how "revolutionary" people may act, they will probably still end up in the same situation.

Story Structure Architect: A Writer's Guide to Building Dramatic Situations and Compelling Characters by Victoria Schmidt book I thought it was a simple little how-to book. I was wrong. This book has a wealth of information. It strips away the flowery prose most how-to-write books use and leaves the meat.

n

I would say that it's like bringing the story full circle. It's almost like tying up those final loose ends by bringing the events to an end at the place where they all began. Basically, it's the characters symbolically picking their lives up where they left off, so to speak.