Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 8 years ago

Why are there many people who dislike the LDS faith?

I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (the term Mormon is accepted but its not the name of our religion). I would like to clear some stuff up right now. We DO NOT worship Joseph Smith. I don't know why people tend to think that. We believe in God the eternal father, and in his son Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost. We believe that The New Jerusalem spoken of in the bible is on top of the American continent; more specifically, Jackson county Missouri. We also believe that Missouri is where the garden of Eden was. We don't ride in wagons, we don't worship lizards, we don't practice polygamy, and we have NOTHING to do with the FLDS faith. We are not Jehova's Witnesses. The Book of Mormon is NOT and I repeat IS NOT an addition to the bible. It is a separate book. We are Christians! If you believe in Christ, you are considered a Christian. LDS families don't force their children to go to church every Sunday, they encourage. I have never ever felt forced to go to church. We believe in free agency. We have the choice to do whatever we want as long as we live by the laws of humanity, the country, state/province, you name it. We are not pre-determined to go to heaven or hell. How righteous you are in life and where your heart is is what determines which glory of the afterlife you receive. There are four places you can end up after this life: three are glories, meaning that they are better than the world we live on now. The other is hell, which is a state of mind of torture. Only the very, very worst people will go to hell. the three glories are labeled as kingdoms in heaven. Celestial: the highest glory, terrestrial: the second highest glory, telestial: the third highest glory. All three kingdoms are glories. So now that I've cleared some stuff up, why do people dislike our faith? I think most of it is because of misinformation and rumors. It makes me sad when people think this way of life is a bad one because they heard a fake story about it.

Like I said, the Book of Mormon is not an addition to the bible. The only reason we put it in the same book physically sometimes is so we don't have to carry two books around church. When you said that Joseph Smith wanted people to be polygamists, that statement was incorrect. Polygamy didn't really become large until Brigham Yound. The only reason early LDS members practiced polygamy was to have many children. The goal at that time was to multiply and replenish the earth. Our "temple rights" give us the ability to seal families together for time and eternity. Families will be together forever. We also practice baptisms for the dead for those who didn't have a chance while they were alive. There are other ordinances too but those are much too sacred to be talked of outside the temple and I'm not old enough to know about them yet.

Cain having been given darker skin wasn't a curse. Never before in my life have I heard someone in the church call it a 'curse'. That is just sad.

Also, we believe that the LDS church is the restored church that was around when Christ roamed the earth.

The LDS church made an agreement with Jewish followers that we would not baptize victims of the haulocaust. Whoever put Anne Frank's name in wasn't supposed to therefore it was not a legitimate baptism and will not count. The probability of that individual facing excommunication is very likely because this is a very sacred ordinance.

The last answerer: I have found many incorrect statements in your explanation. Everyone is going to live eternally whether or not you become LDS or not. Everyone will be resurrected. Joseph Smith isn't going to be in charge at that point. The gold plates did not 'magically appear'. Moses buried them them in the hill Cummorah. If you've read the bible and studied it well, you'll notice that there is talk of other 'documents' and 'records'. These are traces of the Book of Mormon.

Heavenly Father did not get Mary pregnant through sex. He simply fertilized her and she conceived. Satin and Jesus are brothers. We are all brothers and sisters. Satin's plan was to make sure we all make it back to our heavenly father, however we wouldn't have any agency and satin would recieve all the glory. Jesus's plan was to let everyone choose for themselves and let God have the glory. Hence the term: free agency. No one can be blamed for another person's sins. Everyone is responsible for their own decisions. If we are righteous in our lives, we can become just like heavenly father.

Favorite Answer

Ignorance! People lash out at things they don't understand.

Source(s): Lifelong LDS

I can give you some of these answers from historical Mormonism.

We DO NOT worship Joseph Smith. I don't know why people tend to think that.

Joseph Smith boasted that he has done greater works than Peter, Paul or JESUS (the History of the Church, vol. 6, pp. 408-409). He had also boasted that "God is my right hand man" (ibid, p. 78.)

we don't practice polygamy, and we have NOTHING to do with the FLDS faith.

You clearly don't know about historical Mormonism. 50 of the 200 sects of Mormonism practice plural marriage and your history had it through the mid 20th century.

We are Christians! If you believe in Christ, you are considered a Christian.

That's a common myth told by LDS, but it's not true. The word is "Christianos", it means "follower of Christ" I've had LDS tell me Satan is Christian, because he believes in Christ, but there's a huge distinction between belief and following.

LDS families don't force their children to go to church every Sunday, they encourage.

Way wrong! Perhaps your experience was different, but it's very common that kids are forced to go.

We have the choice to do whatever we want as long as we live by the laws of humanity, the country, state/province, you name it.

Not so much. You really have your time dictated very much by "callings" your bishop has for you as well as a very active church schedule.

We are not pre-determined to go to heaven or hell.

You're right about that! You can't get the Celestial Kingdom unless you pay to play (temple)

How righteous you are in life and where your heart is is what determines which glory of the afterlife you receive.

That's certainly not scriptural at all! And you wonder why you're a cult?

There are four places you can end up after this life:

Nope, again, not scriptural.

So now that I've cleared some stuff up, why do people dislike our faith?

You haven't cleared anything, but you did parrot the official church doctrine well. But, I'll give you some reasons:

Different God

Different Christ

Different Salvation

Works based Salvation

and a huge list more if you'd like!

I think most of it is because of misinformation and rumors.

Nope, it come from YOUR OWN FAITH'S sources!

Like I said, the Book of Mormon is not an addition to the bible. The only reason we put it in the same book physically sometimes is so we don't have to carry two books around church.

Wrong: You use four books, it's called a "Quad" And your own wording about the BoM is "another testimony..." - that IS an addition!

When you said that Joseph Smith wanted people to be polygamists, that statement was incorrect. Polygamy didn't really become large until Brigham Yound.

Wrong again! THe most LDS who were into plural marriage was about 15%. Smith himself had several married (to other men) women, and even underaged!

Source(s): Historical Mormonism
  • Ammon

You meant Moroni, not Moses.

Moroni buried the Golden Plates in the Hill that later became known as The Hill Cumorah by Mormons.

Show in the scriptures where it says that Jesus and the Devil were brothers. If it is not in the scriptures, it is not doctrine, it is speculation.

Just because you and other Mormons are on some kind of hobby horse with respect to believing that the Satan and Jesus were once brothers does not meant that that was so.

In the New Testament, Jesus Christ said, Who is my brother and who is my sister??? Verily I say, those who keep the commandments of My Father in Heaven, are My brothers and My sisters...

Was Satan Jesus Christ's physical temporal brother, born from Mary???

NO.

Is Satan now keeping the commandments of Jesus Christ???

Again. NO.

Are you proposing that back in time at some point the Devil and Jesus were brothers???

I say prove it. Where in the scriptures does it say that???

Where in the Old Testament, the New Testament, The Book Of Mormon Another Testament Of Jesus Christ, The Pearl Of Great Price, The Doctrine And Covenants...

where does it say that???

Let me help you out. It does not say that. You are making an unwarranted leap in logic, using a very simplistic understanding of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

When you go to Church, and you say hello brother, and hello sister...

are they really really your sister or your brother???

Were they all born from the same Mother and the same Father???

No.

You are using a very infantile interpretation of the scriptures, to come up with what you came up with.

You are calling speculation doctrine. Thou shalt not bear false witness. It is one thing to speculate, it is another thing to defend something as if it is doctrine, when it is not doctrine, and all it is, is somebody's pet theory.

It is not your job to defend someone's pet theory. Doctrine is Doctrine, speculation is speculation.

What THE Church Of JESUS CHRIST Of Latter Day Saints believe is doctrine is repentance.

That's it. That is what is doctrine.

The way to become a brother or a sister is through repentance. And that is what the Devil is against.

Therefor don't help the Devil by promoting a speculation, that is only a speculation, using faulty reasoning that makes no sense at all.

Read the scriptures. Smarten up. God needs Mormons to get it together. And to promote what is really important about the gospel of Jesus Christ.

And what is important about the gospel of Jesus Christ that should be promoted???

Jesus Christ and..

repentance.

Repentance is the way back to Jesus Christ.

That is what the Gospel of Jesus Christ is all about.

http://Mormon.org Chat.

God bless.

Christians have a problem when a non-Christian religion claims to be Christian and puts the name of their savior in the name of their cult.

Christians do not have a problem with scientology, buddist, muslims,etc - none of these steal the name of Christ and pretend to hold Christianity as their faith.

If Mormons want respect, they have to quit being thieves. The Serpent in the garden bequiled Eve with lies, and now Mormons do the same trying to lure Christians over to Mormonism.

When someone is a thief - they get no respect.

Christians don't believe they become GODS, Romney believes he will become a GOD.

DC 132 and Gospel Principles Exaltation Chapter all detail how Mormons will become GODS.

Three prophets are on record of stating Mormons become GODS.

Christians do not become GODS; therefore Mormons are not Christians.

And as long as Mormons claim to be Christian, real Christian are committed to setting the serpent straight.

Most people have no clue what Mormons believe, most have never met a Mormon, all they know about Mormonism is from anti Mormon material or video.

Then you have people who livein majority Mormon areas where access to bars, strip joints, liquor stores are harder to come by, thus blame Mormons even though they chose to live in a majority Mormon area.

Then you have ex Mormons who felt left out from the rest of the world because they wernt allowed to do a lot of things that most non Mormons parents dont allow.

my parents are catholic, if I was out smoking weed, drinking, smoking, coming home past 11pm on a week day, I would have been grounded, but a lot of ex Mormons assume they could have done anything they wanted growing up if only their parents wernt Mormon.

I have studied your religion, as I have studied most religions. There is much to think about, and even like in the manner in which you conduct yourselves. My main problems are as follows: Rule number one is that you can NOT challenge, or even question the elders of your church . . . . meaning there is no objectivity in one's decision to believe or not. The book of Mormon is a prime example of this. Clearly, to those of us outside of your religion this is not a credible work . . . . plagiarized in parts, redundant in parts and historically indefensible, yet, as a member of your church you do not have the choice of whether or not you care to believe it. Secondly your Church thinks it is a mandate from God that every human being, past, and present needs to be baptized in Christ . . . recently you tried to baptize Ann Frank . . . . thus you have no respect for, nor do you give credence to any thought other than what you are told to think.

Finally I find fault with the idea that according to what you are expected to believe ALL other christian religions are wrong and ONLY yours has all the answers. YES, you deify Joseph Smith and yet you ignore his historical record, having been told that the record is inconsistent with the truth . . . . it is not the case . . . however you are not free to debate it.

If you truly mean what you say about your beliefs then your belief should be able to stand up to scrutiny . . . . failing to think this through is the lynch pin of the structure of your elitist organization.

I do believe Mormons are Christians, but...

1. Mormons add the Book of Mormon to the Christian Bible.

2. Joseph Smith DID teach polygamy, even if the modern church objects to it.

3. The Mormons have "temple rites" (historically stolen from the Freemasons - sorry, tis true), which are perceived as "cultic" by non-Mormons.

Well, gee...it could be the fact that a large number of your "beliefs" are proven false by more than ample evidence -- for example, the "book of abraham" is a proven fraud.

Or it could be the fact that just recently your church leaders conducted an illegal political campaign, lied about it, and were convicted of election fraud in California (the first ever such conviction for a church in the state's history).

Or it could be the fact that for most of your history, your church has been unashamedly racist.

Or it could be the fact that your founder was a con-man convicted of fraud for treasure hunting and "glass-looking."

Or it could be the fact that your young-men missionaries are annoying, and don't know enough even about their own religion to discuss it with any authority, let alone any other.

Shall I go on, or do you get the point?

By the way, I was raised in the church, have been through the temple hundreds of times, and served a mission. You don't need to pull the "you just don't understand it" stuff with me -- I do.

Peace.

• Fred

On the one hand, LDS is not much worse than any other fairy fantasy. On the other hand, the members can be quite pernicious, and are not socially friendly.

Mormons are perhaps slightly closer to being Christians than Muslims are, but not by a huge amount.