No claims bonus? Help!?

Hi,

Need some help on understanding no claims bonus.

I have been driving for 3 years since 23rd feb 2009.

I was insured with elephant for 2 years 11 months, at which point I cancelled the insurance and I got a van and insured with a van insurance company. I rang them up today to explain i have 3 years ncb now since its passed 23rd feb. They said i cannot get a discount or anything because i technically have 2 ncb as I cancelled the elephant policy before the year ended!

They said its based on a 12 month policy rather how long you've been driving for! WHAT?!

So this means i have now lost a whole year ncb! How does this make sence! I have been driving for 3 years without a single claim or accident sooooooo i have 3 years no claims discount!? lol

I thought, well, elephant know I haven't had a claim in 11months, van compare know I haven't had a claim for a month. not as simple as i thought lol

Whole thing is bullocks, well, if anyone has any advise, or help! be appreciated!

thanks

Update:

If I had known it wasn't for every year for a policy I wouldn't of cancelled. But I had a car before and I needed a van for work and had to transfer my ncb to the van. its all a joke!

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Alex
    Lv 6
    8 years ago
    Best answer

You've made a mistake cancelling, but these things happen. Insurance is like dealing with sharks!

You had 2 NOT 3 years NCB, as many have explained. Things in insurance are rarely fair or logical, and mostly do not act in your favour.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

"They said i cannot get a discount or anything because i technically have 2 ncb as I cancelled the elephant policy before the year ended! "

That's perfectly correct, what is there to not understand?

You cancelled the insurance policy before it had finished so you don't have that FULL year's NCB.

Why anyone would go to the bother of cancelling a policy after 11 months is beyond me, it would have been far better just to let it complete the year.

• 8 years ago

They said its based on a 12 month policy rather how long you've been driving for! WHAT?!

Your lack of understanding doesn't negate the common rule that to get a full year of NCB you must have held a policy a full year, not 11 months.

Sorry, that's the way it has always been.

• 8 years ago

NCBs have always worked with full 12 months on a policy

Advice - thats the way it is so get over it cos you ain't going to change it.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Based on your argument you could drive for 10 years without insurance and then expect to get 10 years No Claim Discount (it's not a bonus). It's not a joke - your previous insurance company has to provide proof of each full years insurance without a claim.

• John
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

As they said, its not how long you have been driving, its every complete year that you have been insured for without a claim.

Why on earth cancel a policy after 11 months? If you'd waiting another month you'd have an extra years no claims.

• ?
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

The insurer is correct. Only complete claim free years with a single insurer count. That has always been the case. It will have stated that in your policy terms and conditions.

• 8 years ago

Its not a joke. As much as I despise insurance companies, it is common sense.

If you are insured for a year and don't claim, then you have one years no claims.

Full years only.

Didn't you tell your insurer that you wanted to change over to a van for one month? Then you would have another years no claims. You didn't need to cancel.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.