No claims bonus? Help!?

Hi, Need some help on understanding no claims bonus. I have been driving for 3 years since 23rd feb 2009. I was insured with elephant for 2 years 11 months, at which point I cancelled the insurance and I got a van and insured with a van insurance company. I rang them up today to explain i have 3 years ncb... show more Hi,

Need some help on understanding no claims bonus.

I have been driving for 3 years since 23rd feb 2009.

I was insured with elephant for 2 years 11 months, at which point I cancelled the insurance and I got a van and insured with a van insurance company. I rang them up today to explain i have 3 years ncb now since its passed 23rd feb. They said i cannot get a discount or anything because i technically have 2 ncb as I cancelled the elephant policy before the year ended!

They said its based on a 12 month policy rather how long you've been driving for! WHAT?!

So this means i have now lost a whole year ncb! How does this make sence! I have been driving for 3 years without a single claim or accident sooooooo i have 3 years no claims discount!? lol

I thought, well, elephant know I haven't had a claim in 11months, van compare know I haven't had a claim for a month. not as simple as i thought lol

Whole thing is bullocks, well, if anyone has any advise, or help! be appreciated!

thanks
Update: If I had known it wasn't for every year for a policy I wouldn't of cancelled. But I had a car before and I needed a van for work and had to transfer my ncb to the van. its all a joke!
8 answers 8