Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 8 years ago

Osama Bin Laden: A Freedom Fighter or A Terrorist?

Please don't bother answering if your head is filled with mainstream bs.

With his share of his families fortune, which estimated to be 250Million(US Dollars), Bin Laden provided humanitarian aid to Afghans in the form of food and medical care during the Soviet Russia Invasion of Afghanistan. He also built orphanages and care centers, for people who lost their families and homes during the war. He also did a tremendous amount of work first-hand, he built training camps for future rebels to fight off the Soviets. Bin Laden became a HERO to the Afghans. He lived, fought, and trained with the Mujahideen.All he had to really do is provide the money, he didn't have to physically place him self in danger, he didn't have to physically go into Afghanistan and share the life, the privations, and the heart-ships of the Mujahideen themselves, but he did it.He wasn't obligated to do any of this (He was from Saudi Arabia). He was even sponsored by the CIA themselves just to run the Soviets out. So for now he is a HERO. Then when the US "SUSPECT" that there are weapons of mass destruction in the Iraq, they decide to invade. When they knew they were the ones that gave them those weapons when they were sponsoring them back in 1979. So when they invade, you think that anyone will react. Well that's too bad... because ACTIONS PROVOKE REACTIONS. And lets take this back further in 1991, when the US invades Iraq, Bin Laden was not supporting that at all. But the US got involved and invaded Iraq which led to 9/11. Correct me if I'm wrong please, but tell me if you think Bin Laden Was a Freedom Fighter or A Terrorist.

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Like so many other activists, bin Laden was both freedom fighter and terrorist.

How we see him depends upon who we are and what our point of view is.

There is a similarity here with Fidel Castro and Che Guevera. If you were a Latino peasant, living a life of poverty and toil and being exploited by wealthy landowners, these two men would have been your heroes.

If you were a rich landowner, used to ordering the peons around and having everything your own way, they would have been criminals.

So much depends on one's perspective.

• 8 years ago

He may have started out as a freedom fighter but he was a TERRORIST, he was THE TERRORIST, public enemy number one. Sure he helped the US fight along side him with the Afghan rebels during Charlie Wilson's War against the Soviet Union but he was a terrorist. The US abandoned Afghanistan; basically it was a huge, costly betrayal in more ways than one. The (radicals) actually started with Yassar Arafat, the creation of the Palestine Liberation Organization in the 1960's and the Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini who brought in Islamism (theocracy) into Middle East in 1979 ousting the Shah of Iran (an ally of the US at the time).

If the US had stayed and helped them rebuild their country there may have never been an Al Qaeda or not on the scale that Radical Fundamentalist Islam is now. Also the hegemony that the US has tried to push on the Middle East and democracy; they don't want either. The hatred just grew. The indoctrination of Palestinian youth into Radical Fundamentalist Islam (particularly those in the Gaza Strip and West Bank without a country) and their animosity towards Israel being a representation of the West (the Holy Land debate too)

Bin Laden was educated in the US, which gave him even more credibility to his followers or recruit. Al Qaeda first pops up on US official radar in 1993 in Mogadishu Somalia, Black Hawk Down and Clinton does nothing. That same year Al Qaeda member Ramzi Yousef parks a truck bomb in the underground parking garage of WTC1 and detonates it; it blows out 6 floors and kills several injures, hundreds. Khalid Sheikh Mohammad, the mastermind behind this attack also worked for Bin Laden. Arguably it was KSM imprisoned at GITMO who gave up Bin Laden's whereabouts in Abbottabad, Pakistan.

Al Qaeda tried to topple the Twin Towers back during this attack and failed. Youseff was Al Qaeda, and Bin Laden was the leader of Al Qaeda. 7 years later Al Qaeda blows a whole in the side of the USS COLE in the port Aden Yemen (a known terrorist sponsoring country for Al Qaeda) then in 2000, two SIMULTANEOUS attacks happen at US Embassy's in Kenya and Tunisia, again Al Qaeda.

All this time Bin Laden issues videos, warning to the US about potential attack ABROAD not within the US. Go back to 1991, the US went into Iraq because of SADDAM HUSSEIN, he used a biological weapon on the Kurdish, instantly killing 5,000 of them. Iraq was threatening and literally burning the Kuwaiti oil fields, Kuwait was/is a major OIL source. Bush Sr, did that move.

Back to prior 9.11. Meanwhile Middle Eastern men (the hijackers) are training in flight simulators in Arizona, but they don't want to know how to land a plane, just fly one.

George W Bush becomes president and then after 9 years of planning the September, 11, 2001 attacks happen. 15 of the 19 hijackers were from SAUDI ARABIA, this is no coincidence that Bin Laden was from Saudi Arabia. And yet, the US goes into Iraq and Afghanistan; okay not the smartest thing to do. Bin Laden supported, financed, trained terrorists not just Al Qaeda; he was a mass murderer who killed thousands of innocents over the years any way you put it.

Source(s): special topics classes history of Middle East FBI, UN, Globalsecurity.org, Newsweek, National Geographic: Motivations behind 9/11
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Draw your own conclusions:

"I shall terrorise the infidels. So wound their bodies and incapacitate them, because they oppose Allah and his apostle." (Qur'an 8:12)

Quran (4:89) - "They but wish that ye should reject Faith, as they do, and thus be on the same footing (as they): But take not friends from their ranks until they flee in the way of Allah (From what is forbidden). But if they turn renegades, seize them and slay them wherever ye find them; and (in any case) take no friends or helpers from their ranks."

Bukhari (52:220) - Allah's Apostle said... 'I have been made victorious with terror'

My personal opinion - after reading all this and considering he also killed their own (as Mohammed did), they are both murderers and terrorists.

And I am not biased. I just read. Learn and can have discernment.

• 8 years ago

I have to agree with Jot A Car and Mr Joe Cool. However we view Bin Laden depends on the info we carry in our minds. Personally I would have liked to have had him taken alive to stand trail to resolve

some outstanding questions. Like, why did he fall out with the CIA, how did he escape from Tora Bora,

how did he manage to pull off 9 / 11 and why did he hate us so much? Putting him on public trial would

have had everyone, I bet, glued to their TV's.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Chana
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

No muslim extremists can be called freedom fighters. They're not trying to fight for freedom! They're fighting to have Allah's will imposed on the entire world!!!

Bin Laden (may he rot in hell) was an absolute maniac of a terrorist and I think the way the US dealt with him was excellent!

• mist
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

A Terrorist

• John
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

Can you provide any proof he received money from the C.I.A.? According to a member of the Pakistani Intelligence Service Bin Laden refused to deal with the C.I.A. 'he had his own money, what did he want American support for'? he said.

Your character assessment of Bin Laden is laughable, he was a cold blooded ruthless murder. You cannot say Libyan Police are 'duped' by Western Media 'BS' but they were the first to issue an arrest Warrant for Bin Laden for conspiracy to murder.

Also, try telling the people of New York who suffered so much at the hands of Bin Ladens thugs that he was a 'humanitarian' guy.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

He started of as a Freedom Fighter and ended up as a Terrorist - I would say he was both.

Source(s): JG
  • 8 years ago

If, after deliberately murdering nearly 3000 innocent civilians, numerous plotted and accomplished homicide bombings and assassinations, the answer to this question should be obvious. Osama Bin Laden was a terrorist, beyond any doubt. He is now where he should have been 10 years or more ago.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

like the other guy said.. both

i honestly believe that he was a william goldstein of 1984 to the united states to put a face on the fake " terror"..

now say he does exist. he is a freedom fighter. with what you said bout helping hout the afganis and mujahideen. i also believe in blowback. the U.S occupied and bombed iraq for 10 years before 9/11. the U.s also occupied many other middle eastern countires at the time. The U.S has couped good leaders and has put in corupt leaders. thE U.S only cares about their " corporate interest ". the U.S were and still is the biggest terrorist organization.

so i say freedom figheter. becasue he fought back and resisted the bullying of the United states.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.