Can I just insert my old HDD into a new laptop, and have it work immediately?

I'm buying a new laptop and selling my old one. If I take out the HDD of my old laptop and replace it with the old one, will the computer work like it was my old one? I dont want to format the HDD so that I can sell the laptop, and then install all my programs on the new laptop. I have a bunch of programs... show more I'm buying a new laptop and selling my old one. If I take out the HDD of my old laptop and replace it with the old one, will the computer work like it was my old one? I dont want to format the HDD so that I can sell the laptop, and then install all my programs on the new laptop. I have a bunch of programs (Photoshop, illustratror, office, games etc). So will the new laptop work if I just swap out Hard drives and put in the old one with all my info? Then the one that I sell, I can put the new HDD with nothing on it, and it will be ready to sell.
Update: I'm sure the drivers would not work, since it would have the drivers installed for the old computer, and I would have to reinstall the ones for the new hardware, but as far as the old data is concerned and all my old programs, would they work?
Update 2: @Bassman1 Why would it be illegal, I purchased the OS when I bought the laptop, I am not redistributing it or even copying it, just moving my HDD from one computer to another, nothing wrong with that. I would also be buying another OS by purchasing the new laptop. PLEASE READ: For anyone in the future commenting,... show more @Bassman1
Why would it be illegal, I purchased the OS when I bought the laptop, I am not redistributing it or even copying it, just moving my HDD from one computer to another, nothing wrong with that. I would also be buying another OS by purchasing the new laptop.

PLEASE READ:
For anyone in the future commenting, I am not interested if it will work with the drivers!! All I want to know is if my old data, OS, and application will be able to be accessed as if I were on my Old computer!!