Senior Citizens: Do you have someone you loved that you let go and want back?

I am talking about love as in romantic love.

It would be nice to know a story like that so it would be nice if you could share one.

Thank you very much. :)

Well yes, that is exactly what happened, but I did get him back - or he got me back !

We first met in 1966 - I was 17 and starting my first job, and he was 28 and was the teacher in the staff training school. Our eyes met and yes, it was the famous "love at first sight". We had a very intense and romantic relationship in secret (because of the age difference and the work situation ). Unfortunately, when the "powers that be" found out about it, they came down hard on us and he was threatened with dismissal . These days, you'd say "that is discrimination - see you in court !" , but in those days we did as the authorities told us. We parted, and went our separate ways.

Fast forward 36 years to 2002 - I was a divorcee, and my sister rang to say "R rang looking for you - do you remember him ? Shall I give him your email address ?" I did remember, and I said "yes, and yes".

He'd been writing his memoirs, and wanted to track me down to include me in the story. We lived 1,000km apart, so we started writing to each other. We wrote every day, then started talking on Messenger for hours at a time. Nine months later, I hopped onto a plane , he met me at the airport with a bunch of red roses .....and we've never been apart from that day to this. We got married four years ago. I'm 62, he is 73, and we're true soul mates. Our only regret is that we didn't fight to stay together back in 1967, but we can't change history. We have 5 children between us, and they all think its "cute" that we are together, but its a lot more than that. Its true love, the kind that comes once in a lifetime. You have to grab it when it comes along....or you'll lose it like we did, all those years ago. Thank heavens for his persistence in looking for me , we're more happy than we ever could have imagined.

• LeRoy

Yes but that was 60 years ago. She found a new love while I was in Korea with the 1st Marine Div. I married twice since losing her and neither marriage was successful. I knew then that I should have married her before leaving but that was discouraged in the Marine Corps of 1950. I never saw her again but she's always been a part of my regrets of the past. I hope she lived happily ever after, I sure as hell didn't.

Sometimes I do think about a certain person and wish I could see them again. If he has changed his ways and stopped his drug use, felony crimes and repeated visits to Prison....I might be interested in getting to know him again. He did have a part of him that was genuine....if it only was for a few minutes of the day! We shared a very complex life with our drugs and sexual escapes! So, giving this a second thought - I should just say NO!

• Milton

Yes, however, I moved on to someone who was a better partner for me for life. The one that I allowed to get away was a romantic love but there is no way she could match up to my wife for someone whose life and mine formed the perfect union. The other one had one problem that I caught on to. We were both madly in love with her!

Yes,esp. on Valentine's Day.I truly believe that sometimes you can meet your soul-mate,but due to life issues ,or just so-called fate,you do not remain together your whole life.It was a whirlwind romance that still makes me smile--yet I am happy for my love now!!

I have let go of love in the past, daydreamed about them too, but I don't want any of them back. I'm happy with the man who is in my life now.

Yes , I think we would have been a better match at this age as we were just too young. It was too hot not to cool down.

He has died though and so.....

Oh yes, 2 in particular, but I was young and stupid and didn't realize what I was doing when I let them go.

• Lynn

No