ak6702
ak6702 asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 9 years ago

If only a third of Catholics vote for Obama this time around?

Do you think he'll win.That's 77.7 million Catholics a third is 25 million.He only won last time by around 10,000,000 votes.

I have seen a couple of comments regarding Catholic women's use of birth control and though I may doubt that the rate is 98% it is still rather significant. I would say that a majority of Catholic women are put off by the mandate that a Catholic hospital, school or other Catholic based business are now forced to provide something that is in direct violation of the teachings of the Church.

These Catholic women that currently use birth control do not work for a company that was instituted by the Church so their insurance will cover these costs. Just cause a Catholic woman uses birth control does not mean that they support a law that goes against the teachings of the faith.

It can also be argued, probably successfully that this mandate violates the First Amendment.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Note the wording, 'prohibiting the free exercise thereof'

Is a mandate that requires you to go against your own teachings not a prohibition of free exercise?

How does one freely exercise your religion when the government tells you that you have to do something that is against what your teach.

What next, Jewish and Muslim Hospitals have to serve bacon with breakfast or Mormon hospitals must serve Pepsi and Coffee to patients.

Obama got the Catholic Church to endorse the health care bill on a promise that things such as this would not be done and now he is stabbing them in the back.

I doubt that he would get more than 10% of the Catholic vote, we would rather have a Mormon than

a back stabber.

@EDIT:

Looks like Obama is doing the chicken dance, he has backed off the requirement for religious institutions to provide coverage for contraception

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/obama-announce-...

Accommodate = Oh CRAP what did I do !!!!!

• He not only has the Catholic vote in question but the Jewish votes are a done deal. He has already done lost them altogether. Pretty soon, he will get around to screwing the Atheists as well. It will just take a little more time before he gets there.

• I think if he loses the great majority of the Catholic votwe he could well be in trouble. but I don't think he will lose that much support. And I also think he decided he won't get much Catholic support anyway. His move against Catholic hospitals was to shore up his ultra-leftist base.

I hope that Obama is not re-elected, and that the we get a solid conservative replacement next November.

that marxist anti Catholic anti SEmitic pig obama is finished, and now the country can breath a sigh of relief and emerge better than ever before

All I know is if he loses the unions and commies will riot, and if he wins they will riot so either way make sure your armed and have plenty of ammo.

• Ken

I don't think it matters that much.

Osama Bin Laden is dead, the DOW is holding well above 12,800 (it was 6,630 in March, 2009) jobs are up, GNP is positive, American forces are coming back from that senseless war in Iraq, START has been ratified, that ugly DADT law is history, the CFPB has been established, Chrysler and GM are still functioning, the rotten, greedy, credit card companies can’t jack up your interest rate on any damn whim and sick little kids can no longer be denied health coverage.

President Obama will be easily reelected.

He will still win.

And by the way, a study done revealed that 98% of Catholic women use birth control pills. They just have to pay for them themselves.

Do you really think Catholics will blindly follow the bishops on the issue of contraception? They've ignored those old men so far.

The women will still vote for the President.

The catholics need to stop their religious leaders from raping little boys instead of worrying about voting.