I need help with a fantasy character name that has something to do with water?

A few friends and I are writing a fantasy story and need a name for the protagonist and main character. He is 14 years old and is very average in a world where everyone can cast magic though as the story progresses he will have to become something extraordinary to survive (very cliche, I know) here are a few appearance and personality traits to help you understand the character a little better.

Race: human / white

Occupation/class: home student

Age: 14

How old they appear: 13-14

Eye Colour: brown

Glasses or contacts? N/A

Hair colour length and style: light brown

Weight: 7st 12lb height: 5 ft 5 inches

Type of body (build): average

Skin tone and type (i.e., hairy, slimy, scaly, oily, fair, burns easily): slightly pale

Shape of face: flat cheeks, slightly pointed chin

Distinguishing marks (dimples, moles, scars, birthmarks, etc.): small burn on fore-arm

Predominant feature: broken nose

Is s/he healthy? yes

Do they look healthy? Yes Active lifestyle and good diet

Char's favourite colour: dark blue

Least favourite, why? Pink, too girly

Music? No preference

Least favourite music, why? No preference

Food: everything natural, organic and fresh

Literature: not interested

Mode of transport: walking

Hobbies: practising magic

How do they spend a rainy day? The same as any other day

Are they a daredevil or cautious? daredevil

Do they act the same alone as when with someone? no

Habits: biting nails

Drinks: no

How much: N/A

Greatest Strength: will

Home-town: Amville

Type of childhood: grew up in the country.

First Memory: being at a stream with his parents

Most important child hood event that still effects him/her: mother's death

Why? He was there

Education: home

Religion: N/A

Finances: wealthy father

Siblings, How many, relationship with each: N/A

Children of siblings: N/A

Other extended family: N/A at this time

Most at ease when: around water or with friends and family

Most ill at ease when: around fire or people he dislikes (vice verse)

Priorities: friends and family, becoming a great magician

How they feel about themselves: nervous about his appearance and thinks there is always more to do to improve upon oneself

Past failure they would be embarrassed to admit: failing to save his mother

Why? Trauma guilt

If granted one wish what would it be, why? To have his mother back, nuff said

Optimist or pessimist? Up for a challenge, optimist

Talents: water magic, silver tongue

Extremely unskilled at: fire

Good characteristics: friendly, sharing

Character flaws: overly trusting

Biggest regret: mothers death

River

Dillon- born from the sea

Rio- river name

Hudson- river name

Kyle- place name reffering to narrow body of water

Kai- the ocean

Kenn- Bright water

Nalin- Flower that grows in muddy waters

Reed- sea plant

Irvin- Green or fresh water

Destin- by the still waters

Lamar- the water

Marshall- Marsh

Oceanus

Brook

Bay

Delta

Fjord

Rain

Hope that helps!!

That is a very detailed list... I guess you're really dedicated?

Anyway, maybe you could play around with other languages' meanings for water, like in Latin it's aqua, in Spanish it's agua, in French eau, in Italian it is acqua, and in German it's wasser. But of course there are other languages, so that means you have other words to go off of.

If I were you, I'd pick a language that maybe goes off of his parents' heritage and go from there, but even with all of that detail, I only know that he is Caucasian. If you figure his parents had different heritages, I'd go with the mother's since she appears to be so important.

What do you mean silver tongue? If it really has something to do with silver, which I have a feeling it's not, then you could mix in a touch of the word silver's syllables.

Also, I noticed 'Maggie''s response, she's kind of right, except there are a lot of people who named their kids only when the child was born, when they could see the kids' appearance, like my parents. Names are usually picked by the ring in the name, or just what someone's appeal goes out to. So, again, I advise you to think of what his mother would like, what she has a feel for, almost as though she were picking her own name.

Source(s): Me just trying to help, hope I did! :)

1) do your own research into names

2) How can you name a character by appearance and personality? It's a typical mistake of an inexperienced writer.

You would have been named minutes, hours, or before you were born. Your parents had no idea what you'd look like or what your personality would be as these things develope and change as you get more world experience.

This character could be named anything and it would work with the profile you have on him because names don't tell who we are. If i asked you to picture someone called 'Sally' would you picture the same person as me? Would everyone in the world?

You need to look at it from a different angle to name this character.

Leatho

Zaran

Finnbarr

Shad

Geesh, you went way too far on describing the guy for us, when all you really want is a name that refers to water. How's this for an easier way of going about that? Find a site online that converts English to other languages, stick the word "water" into the word you want translated, and keep picking languages until you find one that makes you go, "Ah ha! Good name!" Oh, and don't get me wrong, you aren't stuck with however the translator gives you the word.

For instance, in Latin, the word is "Aqua." A lousy name for a guy. Can't really come up with a guy's name out of that, but if he was a she, "Akwa" would fit my bill, if I wanted such a name. Imagination and a good tranlator will probably give you more fun, than asking us. ;)

Might I suggest inventing a portmanteau of a foreign translation and an everyday name? For example Wasser, German for water, and Richard = Wasserich or Wasserick?

Maybe call him Blue? I know a guy called Blue and also water is normally coloured in in a bluey colour even though its not ecxactly blue. You could play around with it ermmm Blue, Blu, Bleu [frenc], Azul [spanish]?? I dont know maybe go through name meaning websites...

• Emily

Splashy

Waterman

uhm Nathaniel?