Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Games & RecreationCard Games · 8 years ago

Magic: the Gathering, Regeneration question.?

This is the case. My friend plays Olivia Voldaren, who has flying. He adds an enchantment that gives her the Regeneration ability.

I then play Stingerfling Spider, which lets me destroy any flying creature when it (my spider) enters the battlefield, which in this case would be Olivia Voldaren. Can my friend prevent this by using the Regeneration ability on Olivia Voldaren? If Olivia is tapped?

Thank you.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best answer

Yes, they can. Using a Regenerate ability puts a Regeneration Sheild on the creature. This shield says "The next time this creature would be destroyed this turn, prevent that destruction, remove all damage on the creature, tap the creature, and remove it from combat."

Even though it taps the creature in the effect, the sheild has no cost to it, so the tapping is not part of the cost (it's an effect). Effects are resolves as completely as possible, but do not have to be completely possible (or even possible at all, technically).

• Devius
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

The previous answerer is wrong. Regeneration prevents the creature from being destroyed by both lethal damage and destroy effects. And yes your friend can use regeneration to protect olivia from spider's ability. This also applies if she is tapped except if the regeneration ability has tap in it's cost.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Being tapped has no effect on the ability to use regeneration, using regeneration will cause the creature to become tapped if it isn't already.. but tapping the creature is not part of the activation cost of regeneration.

• 8 years ago

Regeneration protects from one "death" for each time regen is activated. This includes death during the battle phase and effects like doom blade.

Unless soemthing in the regeneration ability says the creatures needs to be tapped to activate it, tapping makes no difference.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 8 years ago

yes the regeneration will let it regenerate and not destroy, even if olivia is tap, you can still active it's regeneration power... =)

• 8 years ago

no because regenerate doesn't regenerate them if from destroy just damage.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.