How can i improve stamina after chemotherapy?

I've recently finished chemotherapy (around 3 months ago), and the whole thing was a bit of a wake up call that i really need to look after my health. Just recently i've decided i want to lose weight and get fit (i've pretty much been around 16st since i was 18 (I'm now 21), and was hoping to get to... show more I've recently finished chemotherapy (around 3 months ago), and the whole thing was a bit of a wake up call that i really need to look after my health. Just recently i've decided i want to lose weight and get fit (i've pretty much been around 16st since i was 18 (I'm now 21), and was hoping to get to around 13.5/14st in 4/5months time (as of 1st feb). It's probably also worth noting i haven't really done any notable exercise since i was 18.
I've started dieting by counting calories (my daily target is apparently 2604, which seems quite high) although i've been sticking to this so far, a couple of times ~200Kcal under this. This calorie intake will supposedly make me lose 2lb per week?
Today i also thought to help this I'd do something I always enjoyed doing, swimming. So i went to the pool today (25m one) and when i first got in all i could manage was 3 lengths before i felt shattered and my arms just felt like jelly, had to tread water the last 5 metre's. I just kept on resting and then doing another 2lengths, sometimes even 1. All of the time i was breathing quite heavily and my muscle's felt quite weak (naturally i'm quite a big build and my arms are quite musclely), so i wasn't expecting for my arms to feel like this at all, the tiredness i was kind of expecting, but not to that extent! Also, what effort would this class as, in terms of mild, moderate or vigorous, i felt i was really pushing myself and I was breathless 80-90% of the time, even while i was resting and building up to the next couple of lengths.
I'm not sure why I felt so breathless after such a short exercise (although i do swim medium-fast, i really can't go any slower, i tried going at a more relaxed pace, but the pace i was doing seemed more natural to me). I have a feeling it has something to do with the Bleomycin drug I was given as part of my ABVD chemotherapy, as i sometimes felt short of breath for a minute or so, while i was recovering from the treatment between weeks, although this would happen randomly, sometimes just laying down watching TV.
I'm not sure what i can do to help improve my stamina and any suggestions would be appreciated.
If I've failed to include any information just let me know!

Thanks in advance,
Dean