Car exhaust mystery!!!!?

Can someone give me some advice/answers!!! I noticed what I thought were wires hanging from the back of the car, turned out it looked liked horse hair, or sort of nylon hair actually hanging from the exhaust pipe itself, I pulled about 4 foot of this horse hair/nylon fibre stuff out of the exhaust pipe, any idea what I'm dealing with????? I have a 2003 Fiat Punto. Any good advice would be welcome. Thanx

Update:

Cheers for the reassurance guys, I feel a bit better knowing the car aint gonna blow up or the exhaust drop off!

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favourite answer

This is a heat resistant sound deadening material used by some manufacturers to dampen down the exhaust noise. All that will happen with your car is that the exhaust will be a little louder. No harm done and nothing to worry about.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Some cars have this filling in the catalytic converter to reduce the amount of emissions coming out of your pipe. Sometimes, it can come out, but it's ultimately designed to help sponge a lot of bad gases from reaching the atmosphere and make cars a bit cleaner.

If your state requires emissions testing, I'd get this checked out, if not, probably nothing to worry about.

• 9 years ago

It's the exhaust lining mine has came completely out of my last car didn't make a difference don't worry about it ;)

• 9 years ago

To "Joseph Felix": CAT CONVS DO NOT HAVE HAIRS!! They have a solid honeycomb-like ceramic/metalic structure similar to pumice.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 9 years ago

that is the fiber filling from your muffler getting blown out

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.