Will you rate these songs from 1984?

These are the top ten songs of 1984 and the next ten so rate and replace anything from the top list with the bottom list. Have fun and enjoy

1 When Doves Cry Prince http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SslyEFwUkkk

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=fvst

2 Like a Virgin Madonna http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI-LFxf9oB0

Youtube thumbnail

3 What's Love Got To Do With It? Tina Turner http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqWkFF-TbMU

Youtube thumbnail

4 Born In the U.S.A. Bruce Springsteen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZD4ezDbbu4

Youtube thumbnail

5 Purple Rain Prince & The Revolution http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JcQuSiEa-4

Youtube thumbnail

6 Careless Whisper Wham! feat. George Michael http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws3CPX1H20c

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=fvst

7 Take on Me A-Ha http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djV11Xbc914

Youtube thumbnail

&ob=av2e

8 The Boys of Summer Don Henley http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rTdyDF7pF8

Youtube thumbnail

9 Let's Go Crazy Prince & The Revolution http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlCKVX5R848

Youtube thumbnail

10 Summer of '69 Bryan Adams http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f06QZCVUHg

Youtube thumbnail

Now you interchange the top ten with the bottom ten if you like.

11 I Want to Know What Love Is Foreigner

12 Dancing in the Dark Bruce Springsteen

13 Pride (In the Name of Love) U2

14 I Feel for You Chaka Khan

15 Crazy for You Madonna

16 Against All Odds (Take a Look At Me Now) Phil Collins

17 I Just Called to Say I Love You Stevie Wonder

18 Better Be Good to Me Tina Turner

19 Missing You John Waite

20 Material Girl Madonna

take care

dave

thank you for your answer Hawkeye

take care

dave

also thank you Keith for your answer

take care

dave

Always enjoy your impute Birdy thanks for your answer.

take care

dave

ak, I thank you for your answer

take care

dave

Arrenn. thank you for your answer also

take care

dave

Mucky, what can I say, it's always great to have your impute

take care

dave

Leprosy good to see you around and thanks for your answer.

take care

dave

Little Big Man, I thank you for your answer

take care

dave

I thank you Red Devil for your answer always look forward to it.

take care

dave

Harvey I thank you, love your ansers

take care

dave

thank you Rock And Roll Forever for your answer

take care

dave

thanks Mike catch you later and thanks

take care

dave

Knew you would be back Mike, and I always look forward to your insight on the songs are. Thanks for the answer.

take care

dave

Always look forward to you input Amy and thanks for your answer

take care

dave

• Best answer

1 - When Doves Cry - an easy 10 and its not even his best. Check out his guitar solo on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=madax7-lMvM

Youtube thumbnail

like I said Doves gets a 10.

2 - Like a Virgin - not bad POP - a little trashy fun actually - 7/10

3 - What's Love Got To Do With It - If I could quit looking at her gorgeous legs in the video and really listen to the song I might have given it a 6 but as it is it gets an 8 because it is Tina. LOL no seriously this woman can sing as well as anybody if not better. 8/10.

4 - Born In the USA - I got tired of hearing this song and it's not one of my favorites but Bruce changed the sound of Rock with his earlier releases and perfected it with this album. Like I said not my favorite but it still deserves and 8/10,

5 - Purple Rain - see When Doves Cry - another masterpiece. 10/10

6 - Careless Whisper - I like the remake by Seether but hated Wham's version - Seether gets a 7/10 - but Wham gets a 2/10.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7imqO-OBVk

Youtube thumbnail

7 - Take on Me - Running out of time because I have a exercise class so I will edit the rest when I get home. Please don't close the question yet.

EDIT - OK I'm back let's see where was I - OH yeah Take on ME by AhHa - The prototypical 80's song - A great Commercial POP song - I wish modern POP had the same heart this song has. Well I guess that isn't fair because some modern Pop does have heart. Anyway I really like this band and this song - 8/10.

8 - The Boys of Summer - Don Henley has done so many great things during his career not counting the fact that most of the best Eagles songs were his or Joe Walsh's. His duet with Stevie Nicks "Leather and Lace" is one of my all time favorite duets. My favorite song by Don as a solo artist is "The End Of The Innocence" which he wrote with Bruce Hornsby but this song is part of what many call the perfect Pop/Rock album. I love it and it is as fresh today as it was when he first recorded it. A timeless classic in my opinion. 10/10

9 - Let's Go Crazy - I like Prince best when he's more serious but this is a good Party song. 6/10

10 - Summer of 69 - Another amazing Canadian. - Great song from a great artist. His best work never made it to the Radio but that is true of a lot of artists. This one is like CCR's big hits in that it is great despite all of the radio air-play - I can't give a 10 but it's close 9/10.

11 - Want to Know What Love Is - Foreigner's best work was on their first album. This song is made fun of on YA a lot and I have to admit it is sappy but Lou Gramm's vocals were right on the money and most love songs can be a little sappy so I don't hold that against them. A respectable 6/10.

12 - Dancing In The Dark - I love the Boss's music but this one got played so much I can't listen to it anymore - But that's not the songs fault. Most people don't know this song is actually a political song and not about a woman. I will forget how burned out I am on it and give it the grade it deserves. 8/10

13 - Pride - One of my all time favorite U2 songs - When these guys were good they were very good and this song is when they were good. 8/10

14 - Chaka Khan - I actually like Chaka Khan and this song isn't bad at all - plus she is HOT. LOL 6/10.

15 - Crazy For You - I have said before the early Madonna was excellent Pop and this no exception. 7/10.

16 - Against All Odds - Sometimes Phil Collins did great songs. His song "I Wish It Would Rain Down" with Clapton on guitar is one of my favorite songs but this is a typical theme song to a movie and really doesn't stand up as just a song in my opinion. It's good I guess but I can't seem to get into it. 5/10.

17 - I Just Called To Say I love You - Stevie is best when he has something to say - his love songs seem to be like any other radio friendly love song. Nothing sets them apart. 5/10.

18 - Better Be Good To Me - You know I love Tina Turner and I don't care if this song was a big commercial hit - Her voice and her soul can make any song important. Keep bringing it Tina. 8/10.

19 - Missing You - John Waite isn't ever going to be considered one of the greats but for some reason this song still endures. I have to admit I like this song even though it doesn't have any of the elements I usually look for in a song. It doesn't have great lead or bass guitar, The vocals are superficial instead of being form deep inside and the lyrics are repetitive and very simple. Despite all of that I like the song. 6/10.

20 - Material Girl didn't have the same flare as "Like A Virgin" and it didn't have the hooks like "Crazy for You", "Borderline" and "Holiday" - so I can only give it a below average grade. 4/10.

• Amy

Hi David.

1 When Doves Cry Prince: 7.5.

Hey! I just got 009 Sound System rolled! I'm not the hugest fan of Prince, but this is one of his better ones.

2. Like a Virgin Madonna: 6/10.

It's a fun song.

3 What's Love Got To Do With It? Tina Turner: 8/10.

I love Tina.

4 Born In the U.S.A. Bruce Springsteen:

6.5/10.

I liked it better back then.

5 Purple Rain Prince & The Revolution: 9/10.

His best imo.

6 Careless Whisper Wham! feat. George Michael: 9/10.

I do like this.

7 Take on Me A-Ha: 0/10.

One of the most abused and horrible songs from thet time imo.

8 The Boys of Summer Don Henley: 8/10.

Pretty good song.

9 Let's Go Crazy Prince & The Revolution. 3/10.

Ah, no.

10 Summer of '69 Bryan Adams: 8/10.

A nice song.

Buy:

14 I Feel for You Chaka Khan

18 Better Be Good to Me Tina Turner

19 Missing You John Waite

Sell:

7 Take on Me A-Ha.

2. Like a Virgin Madonna

4 Born In the U.S.A. Bruce Springsteen.

Thanks David.

• Red

1. When Doves Cry - 9/10

2. Like A Virgin - 6/10

3. What's Love Got To Do With It? - 7/10

4. Born In The USA - 7.5/10

5. Purple Rain - 9/10

6. Careless Whisper - 6/10

7. Take On Me - 8/10

8. The Boys Of Summer - 8/10

9. Let's Go Crazy - 8/10

10. Summer Of 69 - 7/10

11. I Want To Know What Love Is - 5/10

12. Dancing In The Dark - 6.5/10

13. Pride (In The Name Of Love) - 8.5/10

14. I Feel For You - 4/10

15. Crazy For You - 5/10

16. Against All Odds - 7/10

17. I Just Called To Say I Love You - 6/10

18. Better Be Good To Me - 5/10

19. Missing You - 8/10

20. Material Girl - 6/10

I'd swap Like A Virgin and Careless Whisper with Pride (In The Name Of Love) and Missing You.

1 When Doves Cry Prince - 8/10

2 Like a Virgin Madonna 3/10 I remember little kids singing this song when it came out and it bothered me.

3. What's Love Got To Do With It? Tina Turner - 5/10 for Tina, because she has so much better stuff

4 not a fan of his, but I recognize the song for the greatness that many feel it has. 10/10, but personally 2/10 for me

5 Purple Rain Prince & The Revolution 8/10

6 Careless Whisper Wham! feat. George Michael. Beautiful song 9/10

7 Take on Me A-Ha - I just love A-Ha 10/10

8 The Boys of Summer Don Henley 10/10 no doubt

9 Let's Go Crazy Prince & The Revolution 7/10

10 Summer of '69 Bryan Adams 9/10

to mention about the other songs..

13 Pride (In the Name of Love) U2 10/10

14 I Feel for You Chaka Khan 10/10

15 Crazy for You Madonna 8/10

17 I Just Called to Say I Love You Stevie Wonder 7/10 for Stevie. I love so much of his other songs more.

18 Better Be Good to Me Tina Turner 8/10

19 Missing You John Waite 10/10, LOVE these lyrics

• Rg4

1 When Doves Cry Prince ..loved it then, still do - 9

2 Like a Virgin Madonna ..7

3 What's Love Got To Do With It? Tina Turner ..gotta love Tina - 8

4 Born In the U.S.A. Bruce Springsteen ..nay! - 5

5 Purple Rain Prince & The Revolution ..much better than the movie! - 8.5

6 Careless Whisper Wham! feat. George Michael ..7.5

7 Take on Me A-Ha ..8

8 The Boys of Summer Don Henley ..on my short list for the "Soundtrack of Summer" - 9.5

9 Let's Go Crazy Prince & The Revolution ..7.5

10 Summer of '69 Bryan Adams ..I still love to listen to this one - 8

11 I Want to Know What Love Is Foreigner ..nah - 5

12 Dancing in the Dark Bruce Springsteen ..only good thing about this one, is we got our first glimpse of Courtney Cox in the video - 4

13 Pride (In the Name of Love) U2 ..7

14 I Feel for You Chaka Khan ..CHAKAACHAKAKHANCHAKAA - 7.5

15 Crazy for You Madonna .. one of my favorites from her - 8

16 Against All Odds (Take a Look At Me Now) Phil Collins ..loved it when it came out, nay today! 5.5

17 I Just Called to Say I Love You Stevie Wonder ..I can name 50 others of Stevie, off the top of my head, before I'd get to this one - 4.5

18 Better Be Good to Me Tina Turner ..7

19 Missing You John Waite ..I like John - 7.5 (especially with Bad English and The Babys)

20 Material Girl Madonna ..6

Drop: Like a Virgin

Born in the USA

Let's Go Crazy

Add from 11-20: Crazy for You

Missing You

Also add: I Want a New Drug - Huey Lewis and the News

1 When Doves Cry Prince ...8

2 Like a Virgin Madonna...8

3 What's Love Got To Do With It? ...definitely a 10

4 Born In the U.S.A. .... 7

5 Purple Rain Prince & The Revolution ...10

6 Careless Whisper Wham! feat. George Michael ... 6

7 Take on Me A-Ha ...9

8 The Boys of Summer Don Henley ...10

9 Let's Go Crazy Prince & The Revolution ...5

10 Summer of '69 Bryan Adams ...10

I would change 'Lets go crazy' for 'I want to know what love is' ...10

'Careless whisper' for 'Crazy for you' ....10

:)

Hi Dave. 1.Come Pick Me Up: 8/10. Very nice song overall. I do like the pace, and I just love the harmonica part. 2.Hangman Jury: 7.5/10. Really enjoyed that. I particularly like the rising bass. 3. Elected: 6.5/10. Not the hugest of Alice Cooper fans, but the breaks in this are nice at least. 4.These Foolish Things: 8.5/10. He can do no wrong. 5.Monkey Man: 8.5. Gorgeous. 6.Relax: 6.5/10. It's a fun song to be sure, but nowhere near the previous 2 in your list. 7.Hey Joe: 8/10. A highly listenable song. 8.Veteran Of The Psychic Wars: 10/10. Musically, a song that reaches me on so many levels. Easily the best in your list according to my taste. 9.Am I Evil 6.10. A little too foreboding. Certainly does have that classic metal sound once it gets going though. 10.Guts: 5/10. Some subjects just don't appeal at all and good music becomes very average. Thanks David.

Evening Dave.

1. Like this a lot 8/10

2. Was good when i was young prob cause of the video,now its not so good 4/10

3. after some thought yeah i like it 7/10

4. even though it means nothing to me its still a decent song 7/10

5. Classic 10/10

6. lol no thanks 2/10

7. not bad not great 5/10

8. bit placid for my liking 4/10

9. good didnt realise i liked him so much 8/10

10. love it 1 of my jukebox songs 10/10

change 6 for 16

I'd have to go:

1. Pride

2. The Boys of Summer

3. Take On Me

4. Born in the USA

5. Summer of '69

I think I'll stop there. Nothing else really worked for me.

Wow...I was a sophomore in HS in 1984 and looking this list I realize just how awful mainstream music was back then...the only songs on these lists that I would still listen to are Purple Rain, Let's Go Crazy and When Doves Cry by Prince and Pride by U2....the rest are just plain bad

But then again mainstream music today is awful too so I guess the more things change the more they stay the same