Is it forbidden to use command prompt in the work place?

I got in quite a lot of trouble at school today for using command prompt, and was told that if I was working and used command prompt at the office or something, you'd be fired immediately.

Not even creating users or going on blocked websites or anything of the sort, simply opening it and typing DIR in a few times, or something else harmless.

Is this true or not?

Update:

I don't know if this makes a difference but command is not accessible via the menu, you have to make a .bat file etc.

Also, a side-question, is it possible to give yourself privileges you don't normally have using command prompt, such as accessing hidden folders, because that's what was suggested?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Bob M
    Lv 5
    8 years ago
    Best answer

No that is rubbish, the command prompt does not give you more access than your login allows. You can access the same places and activate the same applications.

So if your teacher thinks you might do something that you shouldn't on the commandline, it is because he/she hasn't properly set your access rights.

• 8 years ago

If your employer says that you can be fired for using command prompt then using it would be grounds for firing.

There are commands availabe which are very dangerous. It's completely reasonable to restrict people from using it.

The last answer is good. I use command prompt to run Java jar files. Its also sometimes easier to go up and down directory trees instead of opening and closing folders.

• Duck
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Nah. Sounds like they didn't know anything about the command prompt and were trying to scare you away from using it. I don't know of any reason why you'd need it if you weren't a developer, programmer, or sys-admin (you'll get to know it quite well in those fields), but I've never worked in a place where they threatened firing someone for dropping down to the command line.

• 8 years ago

What you were told is a load of crap.

You can't get fired for simply opening a command prompt - you aren't doing anything wrong!

The command prompt is a valid and useful tool.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Jordan
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

Many places use the command prompt all the time. It is a useful way to start applications from jar files, among many other uses. Whoever told you that was a complete idiot.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Where i work, the cmd prompt is not visible and can't be used, there are certain restrictions on our computers and only IT have admin privileges to change anything on the computers. As for someone telling you that you can be fired is utter rubbish! If they made their computers more secure then you wouldn't have the option to use the cmd prompt, so its their fault for giving you that facility!!

• 8 years ago

That sounds like a freaked-out teacher who doesn't know what the command prompt is for. Probably thought you'd break the internet or something. :oD

• 8 years ago

The people that told you that obviously don't know ANYTHING about computers.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.