Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceQuotations · 9 years ago

From the sublime to the ridiculous Wanna search that ubiquitous media phrase & post best example? From memory?

As I just replied to a pal's Riddles question:-

Your awesomely accurate contrast of wonderfully emotive War Horse & abysmally awful The Sitter inspires a new question:-

From the sublime to the ridiculous

Wanna search that ubiquitous media phrase & post best example?

Or share & comment from memory?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favourite answer

In this form, from a remark made by Napoleon to the Polish ambassador De Pradt (D. G. De Pradt Histoire de l'Ambassade‥(1815) 215), following the retreat from Moscow in 1812: "Du sublime au ridicule il n'y a qu'un pas", "there is only one step from the sublime to the ridiculous."

The idea, however, was not original to Napoleon: [1795 T. Paine Age of Reason II. 20] "The sublime and the ridiculous are often so nearly related, that it is difficult to class them separately. One step above the sublime, makes the ridiculous; and one step above the ridiculous, makes the sublime again."

Here are some more quotes which contain variations on the theme:

"The Hague tittle-tattle‥is set forth in the pomp of Milton's loftiest Latin. ‥The sublime and the ridiculous are here blended without the step between." [1879 M. Pattison Milton 116]

"In the case of Louis XVIII, indeed, the ridiculous was, as it is commonly said to be, only a step removed from the sublime." [1909 Times Literary Supplement 17 Dec. 492]

"From the sublime to the ridiculous is only a step, but there's no road that leads back from the ridiculous to the sublime." [1940 W. & E. Muir tr. L. Feuchtwanger's Paris Gazette ii. xxxviii.]

‘At least,’ he said, ‘we can now go next door. Architecturally speaking, it's to move from the sublime to the ridiculous.’ [1983 ‘M. Innes’ Appleby & Honeybath iii.]

Source(s): I know about this stuff
  • 4 years ago

they are having a bear in techniques the 60's week on radio York and it is totally emotive. Beehive hairdo's, mini skirts and autos, each and every of the previous songs and communities, flower capacity, unfastened love and the creation of the pill, dinner events the place you ate tinned ravioli, spag. bol.,blackforest gateaux, flambes, cherries jubilee, crepes suzette and washed them down with chianti interior the ruffina bottles which then have been prized as candle holders, liebfraumilche, black tower, babycham, ponys, toddler seals and lambrusco - and we theory we've been the bees knees! Very unfastened, effortless and happy days - super to have lived via them. Edit: hi elsie 19, definite i bear in techniques how very useful those days have been too. shall we burst off from break of day till finally nightfall with a bag of sandwiches and buns and a few pop, on occasion there have been around twenty people, we appeared after one yet another, ran, laughed, climbed timber, geared up dens and did no longer have a care interior the international. We did no longer have paedophiles then - or i could say they weren't as glaring! and a homicide made the headlines for a minimum of a week. i became born in 1951 only after rationing had disolved, my father became a farmer and we actually did have the best food obtainable, all sparkling and abode grown - yet seasonal - no tomatoes at christmas in those days! i myself do think of my era have been so very, very, fortunate with the significant adjustments we experienced. My childrens think of its hilarious that we had black and white television yet we basically have been on condition that for the duration of 1957! no television earlier that!

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.