Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsCancer · 8 years ago

I am only 15 but I am frightened that I might have breast cancer , what should I do ahhhhhh help?

I have a history of breast cancer in my family (my mom) and i've have strange lumps on my breast. also even thought i am only 15 I have already had my period for 5 years meaning i started at 10 increasing my chances. many strange thing are appearing on my right breast and I am quite worried does anyone think that its even possible I have breast cancer ? :(

Hello,

It is not really possible for anyone to tell you what these lumps are over the internet. But it may be helpful to know that breast cancer would be almost unheard off in a person of your age. Breast cancer is rare in women under the age of 30 and occurs most often in women over the age of 50.

So it is far more likely that the lumps are due to a benign (non cancerous) condition. Some women and girls find that their breasts can become a bit lumpy before a period and the lumps that you have noticed may be normal for you. But if you are worried it would be a good idea to make an appointment to see your GP. They can examine you and hopefully put your mind at rest.

Your mother having breast cancer does not always mean that your risk of developing the disease is greatly increased. Unless your mum developed breast cancer before she was 40 or there are other relatives on your mum’s side of the family with the disease your breast cancer risk is probably not going to be greatly increased.

There is more detailed information about this at the following link;

Http://cancerhelp.cancerresearchuk.org/type/breast-cancer/about/risks/definite-breast-cancer-risks#history?utm_source=yahooanswers&utm_medium=kp&utm_campaign=Y!kpanswers

Disclaimer: We hope this general information is helpful. For any specific queries we recommend you seek independent professional advice. See the full Yahoo! Answers disclaimer here: http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/info/disclaimer).

If your mother had the genetically linked form of breast cancer (Only 10% of breast cancers fit into this category and she wouldhave been tested and told if it occurred in the last 15 years) then you have a 50% chance of inheriting that weak gene.

It is normally sugested you start being extra vigilant when you are 10 years younger than your closest relative was at time of diagnosis.

At 15 it is highly unlikely but worth seeing a Dr to set your mind at rest.

Keep in mind that of all breast lumps that a Dr decides needs further investigation, only 20% turn out to be cancer. THe majority of breast lumps are NOT cancer.

• Stacey

Its pretty rare for someone your age to have breast cancer. My mom is a doctor and i asked her if it was possible because a friend of mine had to get checked for breast cancer (because her little sister passed away from cancer and they wanted to make sure she didnt) So it should be unlikely. Though if you still feel uncomfortable just tell your mom! The worst thing that can happen is that she takes you to the doctor :]

YOU ARE OVERREACTING!!!!!!!!! Teenagers don't get breast cancer!!!!! Your mom got breast cancer when? in her 40's? 50's? Not in her teens.

They might be due to puberty, could be cysts, which isn't cancer. Cysts are very common.

I found 2 bumps 2 different times and they were both cysts.

Nothings impossible, but you can go online and some websites teach you how to check if you have breast cancer.