Why does America celebrate Martin Luther King day and not General Robert E Lee.?

One was a cultured morally upright, military genius, and gentleman who defended his kin with honor and dignity while the other was an agitator, adulterer, plagiarizer, and associated with communist subversion in the USA. Does this speak millions of where our culture is?
Update: Charley: You must be talking about your hero Ulysses S. Grant
.
Update 2: So far from engaging in a war to perpetuate slavery, I am rejoiced that Slavery is abolished. I believe it will be greatly for the interest of the South. So fully am I satisfied of this that I would have cheerfully lost all that I have lost by the war, and have suffered all that I have suffered to have this object... show more So far from engaging in a war to perpetuate slavery, I am rejoiced that Slavery is abolished. I believe it will be greatly for the interest of the South. So fully am I satisfied of this that I would have cheerfully lost all that I have lost by the war, and have suffered all that I have suffered to have this object attained.
Update 3: What is a positive achievement of King in this country ?
Update 4: Puddles the civil rights act is unconstitutional, and the democrat party of the south is not the same democrat party of today, you are being very shallow.