Lena asked in SportsFootball (American) · 8 years ago

How to be a female wide receiver or running back?

Hi please take me seriously I want to play for our high school football team and please do not say girls can't play football! Last year the linebacker was a girl and she scored a freakin touchdown ok!

I am 5'9 and I weigh 135 pounds I am very muscular but If someone looked at me they wouldn't be able to tell how much I weigh I look very skinny but I can tackle any guy on the field without problem. I can run a 100 meter sprint in 6 secs being the best but on average about 7-9 secs I am really fast fastest girl in my freshman class I want to try out for sophomore year though so how can I train? I already run 4km 4-5 times a week I go to the gym everyday for 1hour and I can catch the ball better than my brother (he's quarterback :) I can throw a tight spiral 50-60 yards and I am really tough. Know all the rules and regulations and of course how to do a flea flicker I know all the routes for every position. I know the game like the back of my hand! Do you think I could make the team? I want to play varsity.

Update:

Listen I know I sound a little conceited but I LOVE football and I really want to play! And if you read my question then you would know my best time was 6 secs and honestly I think it was because the guy who timed me started a bit late (cheerleaders around the corner :)but it is still my best time that's all. And GIRLS CAN DO ANYTHING GUYS CAN DO! INCLUDING PLAY FOOTBALL!

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Best answer

I highly encourage you to join your high school football next season. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a girl playing football, even on an all-boys football team. Also, it will still not (yet) be too late for you to start playing football.

Based on your height and weight, as well as your 100-meter sprint time and ability to catch the ball, I believe that the best fit for you is at the wide receiver position. Your height gives you the potential to become an elite high school varsity wide receiver, who could go on to play college football in the future.

In addition to running 4 km and going to the gym every day, I highly recommend that you eat healthy this upcoming (and every) offseason. Personally, I recommend a calorie intake of 1800-2200 per day. Doing these things will greatly improve your chances of becoming a successful high school varsity football player, as well as getting recruited to play for a college football program in the future.

@ Additional Details - Actually, you do not sound conceited at all. The times are changing. It is now 2012, not 1976. Guys need to start being a little less insecure, and just accept the fact that females CAN play football.

Females have come a long way in the last 40 years, and the next step in the movement of females playing football is beginning to take place. In fact, here is one of the biggest high school football stories of 2011 on ESPN. It is about 3 girls getting recruited to play for college football programs next season:

"Girls Make Impact on Gridiron

Girl athletes made headlines — and big plays — all over the football field this fall. Brianna Amat was dubbed the “kicking queen” and gained national attention for making the game-winning field goal for Pinckney (Mich.) on the same night she was named homecoming queen. Andrea Marsh, a senior cornerback at Panama (N.Y.), was named one of 12 finalists for the High School Football Rudy Award after leading her league in interceptions. Shawnee (Springfield, Ohio) kicker Carly Gregory became the first girl in Ohio state history to score in a state championship game when she made two extra points."

Source(s): http://espn.go.com/blog/high-school/football/post/... This is only the beginning. The 2012-2013, 2013-2014, and 2014-2015 seasons will bring even greater heights in the movement of females playing football. You can be a part of it :)
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Fine fine i'll just be nice, even tho you don't deserve advice -_-

you don't know fooball, you might think you do but you don't

you never know football until you step onto the field, try to make a catch and get rocked once it hits your hands and drop it, if you wanna play wide receiver ...don't lie to your coach about the 40 time, he'll get mad :P

ok, lets go over the routes:

screen

curl

slant

in n out

out n in

in

out

cross

streak

sluggo (slant n go)

hook

fade

stick

drag

angle

angled post

run these routes everyday, if you don't know them, kill yourself

then squat once or twice a week (i don't want you to be a sissy and squat 70 pounds but i don't want you to be retarded and squat 200)

then practice blocking with a guy ...ok? a CB, you'll be called to block on screens, running plays, if your quarterback decides to scramble and if your teammate makes a catch and you're infront of him, remember, even if you don't have the ball in your hands ...it doesn't mean you're not playing

then, catch the ball 100 times a day, get a quarterback that can actually THROW THE DAMN BALL, i don't want you to practice with someone who has a noodle arm, if you're not used to catching bullets in your backyard, you won't catch it on the field either

and last but not least, i wouldn't advice you to play receiver or running back ...not because you're a girl, you're way too skinny

i'd advice you to be a free safety, if you wanna take my advice do it, if you don't, don't come crying when you jog to the bench after the first time you take a hit

oh and buy one of those bands that you tie to the wall and practice accelerating ...acceleration is the 2nd most important thing in football, after brains

run those routes everyday, each route 5 times

if you don't know them, see if you can find a picture of them on google images

good luck, ms fake

• 8 years ago

If you can run 100 meters in 6 seconds, you are easily the fastest human being in the world, and playing football should be no problem. Are you from the planet Krypton?

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Join powederpuff football (very popular for female football players in the southern usa). You sound pretty conceited tbh. "I can tackle any guy on the field without a problem" and you want to play varsity.... Lol.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Instead of asking a bunch of internet strangers, how about you ask the coach of the football team.

• 8 years ago

Your window of opportunity for playing football with boys is rapidly closing. In another year the boys your age will be much bigger and you will be outmatched in every way.

I suggest that instead of setting yourself up for a fall, you should concentrate on womens sports. You will be a superstar there.

Let the thumbs-down begin.

• Levi
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

Women don't play football. You make think you're tough but you aren't. You're much too small and you're ruining the football experience for all the guys.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Join the lingerie football league.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.