Go Leafs Go! asked in SportsHockey · 9 years ago

Do you think there will ever be an NHL team in Europe?

They play some games in Europe every year for the past few years, but do you think there will ever be teams in Europe?

If yes, then when do you think it would happen?

BQ: What will be the 1st (if any) of the big 4 North American leagues (NHL, NBA, MLB, NFL) to expand outside of the continent?

Update:

Texhabs, NFL Europe folded a few years ago

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Steve
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favourite answer

It would only happen in the distant future.

But I could see a future where a trip from N.Y. to London takes 30 minutes. (Or less!) I could see a future where there as many NHL caliber players in Europe as in North America so players could play on their own continent if they so wished. And I could see a future where currency and government would be more stable (possibly even a global currency) so players wouldn't mind playing in Mexico or Africa or wherever. You would likely have divisions on each participating continent to further cut down on travel.

The only problem that would be hard to overcome would be the telecasting of games. I suppose people could watch them on a delayed basis.

It's not conceivable now, but I would not say never. That doesn't allow for advances in technology and civilization.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 9 years ago

The only one that really could is the NFL. The travel may be a pain, but since it's always Sunday it's not as big a deal as trying to do it through out the week like all the other leagues. Even the NFL wouldn't put a team there because of the all the logistics issues, yeah it works for ONE GAME but to have to work it out for a Franchise is totally different. Imagine the PLAYER'S reaction in the NFL when they hear oh you now play for a European team. That's why NFL Europe/Europa wasn't an official D-League(the players would NEVER allow for the sending players there, it's one thing to PICK to go there and another to be told to report there).

• Jay
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

no. travel is too big an obstacle. west coast teams complain as it is now, and now you'd be talking as much as 12+ hour time zone shifts. beyond that, the cost of flying would be prohibitive, and that eurpean team would have to make the trip every couple weeks at least. until we an develop teleportation and get rid of time zones, it's just not possible, and wold not be good for the game (fans in the US wouldn't watch the games played in europe b/c of the time zones).

BQ: the ONLY one that could ever do it would be the NFL, because they only play one game/week, so travel is less of an issue. but you'd still be asking teams to fly across an ocean several times every season, so again, the cost would make it impossible.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

a million. Lol, I keep in concepts staring at Mr. Bean as a baby, good cases... For some unusual reason I do experience he will be keen on the Islanders. 2. i'd imagine so. 3. perchance, it does no longer harm to be seen at a hockey pastime in his domicile city. 4. Modano. 5. i might want to ensure Modano getting into that direction. 6. somewhat, lol. 7. i can't p.c.. one both, i'm taking the computer way out too, lol. 8. At an Avs/Sens pastime a pair years in the past, there replaced into this one guy who does no longer stop yelling "Hasek is a ****!" in the course of the completed third era, he replaced into below the effect of alcohol, even though it replaced into nevertheless incredibly extraordinary. And he yelled it so loud too, so stressful. The most unearthly area replaced into that he did not look an Avs fan both... 9. i'm no longer quite into having gamers' equipment or getting it signed or stuff like that. yet i'd somewhat favor to have the stick Peter Forsberg used to score his shootout "stamp" objective to win the gold medal pastime hostile to Canada contained in the 1994 Olympics. 10. Out of communities that are anticipated to do nicely, perchance the celebrities, ducks, or Canadiens. I basically have this unusual feeling about those 3... ~ Teal city: yet are the Avs quite anticipated to do nicely this season although? did not ESPN placed them 13th contained in the West or something like that? i somewhat can see the Avs pass over the playoffs somewhat actual. If Joe would not come again and if Budaj would not step as a lot because the plate, they're royally screwed :(

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 9 years ago

No....can you imagine the bills for travel alone? That would be a huge deterrent but even bigger would be the salary structure....Euro nations have complicated tax structures and it would have a profound effect on the tv deals here in North America. NBC or any other entity isnt going to jump at the chance to telecast games played when most of us are either in bed or working....the time difference is a major issue as well. Too many complicated factors to make it happen.

BQ. I cant see it working in any of the sports you mention because of the time difference...travel issues....tv contracts....tax issues....visa problems (NFL). These are major factors in why none of these sports will even wander south of the border into Mexico. How do you convince a player to play where the money is different...the culture is different....the travel is brutal? Guys will never commit to a Euro franchise because of those situations....and that doesnt even address family issues for many.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

No. I think Europe should have their own leagues. I agree with the guy above, the travel would be way too much and usually when NHL teams play games in Europe, there's a period of time spent getting back on pace with the time back home (jet lag).

• ?
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

They would need to travel across the world for every away game. Can you imagine flying overnight getting off the plane and having to play a game in a few hours? They would need to have an arena that could fit like 100,000 and sell out every home game to make a profit with all of the travel expenses

• 9 years ago

I hope there will never be an NHL team in Europe. Seriously, the time zone changes and travel times are too much.

• 9 years ago

Never. The travel expenses are huge. Big 4=USA+Canada

• 9 years ago

Putin would nuke NHL's headquarters without hesitation if there was any encroachment in the KHL's "sphere of influence".

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.