Christians: If God hears all prayers, then what is 1 John 5:14 Talking about?

1 John 5:14=

New International Version

This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.

New World Translation

And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that, no matter what it is that we ask according to his will, he hears us.

This verse seems to imply that he only hears prayers that are according to his will.

And if i have taken it out of context, please show me with scripture how i have. Thanks

Favorite Answer

verse 14 & 15: And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that, no matter what it is that we ask according to his will, he hears us. 15 Further, if we know he hears us respecting whatever we are asking, we know we are to have the things asked since we have asked them of him.

If we are following Him in Truth and doing His Will, that is the confidence we can have. The answer is not always yes, sometimes it is wait a while and there again, sometimes it is no. We just need to continue doing what is right in His Eyes and be like the lilies of the field and the little birds of heaven. :)

I don't think the problem is context but being hyper-literal. These verses aren't programming functions. Just because an "if' is used doesn't mean there's an "else". It does no good to ask God for help with something you know is against His will and that would have been self-evident to the first readers the verse was written to. The point is to remind us that He's paying attention. That's something Christians and Jews have always needed reminded of from time to time.

One group of people who would tend to make lousy Bible interpreters are lawyers. You have to read for meaning, not literal gotchas.

If you want to find flaws in Christian theology, picking at the edges is useless because things are way too fluid there. You need to go after the core elements, the transcendent creator god and free will. There's nothing to be gained there either unless you want to believe, but at least there you'll be at a place that really matters should you achieve the impossible.

The apostle John explains: “This is the confidence that we have toward him, that, no matter what it is that we ask according to his will, he hears us.” (1 John 5:14) Our requests must be in harmony with God’s will. Some pray for things that are clearly not God’s will—to win the lottery, for example, or to win a bet. Others pray with improper motives. The disciple James warns against such abuse of prayer, saying: “You do ask, and yet you do not receive, because you are asking for a wrong purpose, that you may expend it upon your cravings for sensual pleasure.”—James 4:3.

The Bible clearly says this: “No matter what it is that we ask according to his will, he hears us.” (1 John 5:14) This is because Jehovah is a God of justice. His natural laws, such as gravity, reflect that, being applied equally to everyone. If you did not study for an exam, would it be just for God to intervene and cause you to score better than others who did study? Really, it would not be fair to the other students, would it?

The basic things God expects us to pray for are contained in the following Model Prayer, given by Jesus Christ. Notice the priorities in it: “Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified. Let your kingdom come. Let your will take place, as in heaven, also upon earth. Give us today our bread for this day; and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And do not bring us into temptation, but deliver us from the wicked one.”—Matt. 6:9-13.

Jehovah God expects persons who pray to him to be more concerned about his will and purposes than about their own goals and ambitions. That is only reasonable, since God knows what is best for all of us. There is nothing wrong with praying for material things, our ‘daily bread,’ but nothing is said about praying for riches. Rich people are usually not concerned about God. Notice that God is pleased with prayers that show concern for him and his purpose first, and ourselves second. Such prayers are all too rare today.

• yesmar

The context is the whole chapter and book. John is speaking of spiritual things, not physical things. He is talking about the building of character, the removal of imperfection from our lives.

It s better rendered,

14 And how bold and free we then become in his presence, freely asking according to his will, sure that he's listening.

He hears all prayer, neighbor.

This is how I think about it, may be right or wrong.

Gods "will" being what his plan is. He has a plan for you and if your praying for something that intrudes on that plan he has set then he may not hear it. But I actually don't think it even means he wont hear it. but he might not acknowledge it.

Like if you are praying for some one else to be hurt or killed.

Source(s): Just an idea

God hears all prayer. He answers all prayers as well - Just not always in the ways that we want them answered. If I pray for my high school to burn down, so that I don't have to take an exam, he isn't going to do that for me. Hate isn't in his Will, and anyways, that's not what's best for me. He may, however, grant me courage and confidence. Either way, the result is good. But He does it in the way which is best for me, and is in accordance to His will.

• kim

Open your heart and talk to Jesus! Ofcourse God is far far far superior in his wisdom and often I ask the Holy Spirit to help me pray about a situation. But let me say this, in prayer I have received grace as dew from heaven (Hosea 14-5) So pray and praise and attend Sunday worship, and read scripture. Receive the wonderful grace from Our Holy God!! I have and I want to pray more and more!

have you ever read 1 Timothy 2:12? or Leviticus 20:13? Yeah.... ppl like to be selective on what parts they follow the bible

oh and how can i forget deuturonomy 22:13-21????

God hears the prayers of His children and and answers the prayers that are according to His will. We are all God's creation but, not all His adopted children. One becomes God's adopted child by accepting Jesus Christ as their Lord and their Savior.

just means dont pray for stuff like hoping your Math Teacher dies so you wont have to take a test