Why do torontonians support streetcars?

1. They cost a lot. 1/3 the cost of a subway! (But are just like buses) 2. A power out destroys the network 3. A crash stops all routes that use the track. 4. They stop in the middle of the road creating problems for both passengers and drivers. Can't they be switched to buses - works well everywhere else. show more 1. They cost a lot. 1/3 the cost of a subway! (But are just like buses)
2. A power out destroys the network
3. A crash stops all routes that use the track.
4. They stop in the middle of the road creating problems for both passengers and drivers.

Can't they be switched to buses - works well everywhere else.
Update: @Thinking...

How?
Bus routes have a negligible set up cost (just need concrete poles).

Streetcars need tracks, poles, and wires. Plus the vehicles cost more.

Extra parts mean extra maintenance for streetcar over bus networks

Electricity might be cheaper than gas bus is it worth it in the long run?
Update 2: @SteveN

I am referring to regular streetcars not the former proposed LRTs.

BTW the LRTs are just like Streetcars except slightly better and very gloryfied. The 509 was supposed to be an LRT.
Update 3: @SteveN

Update 4: @Karen L

When the 77 bus existed, it was one of the few routes running in profit. Now it is running in a deep loss.

A streetcar breakdown blocks the whole route if detour tracks don't exist. Bus breakdowns don't do that.
Update 5: @Comicbook Reader

I am comparing non right of way streetcars with non right of way buses. Of course if something has the right of way it is faster. We have to compare the 509, 510, 512 with right of way buses (vivaNext and future Finch BRT)
Update 6: @JJ.

How are they more reliable?.

It might be iconic but then we can leave just a few routes here and there. But then we will be stuck with the old Peter Witt models if we want the iconic look.

The other cities are building LRTs - not streetcars as buses.
Update 7: Thanks a lot everyone - unfortunetly I can't pick a best answer so I'll send it out to the voters