My camao's vin number says it is an RS, but it has no RS badges on it. Why?

hi, i have a 1996 camaro v6. i have ben trying to find out its exact trim level since i bought it a couple months ago. i had origionally thought it was in fact an RS model, but i had noticed that it did not actually have any RS badges on it. i then used a few online VIN number checkers, and they all said that... show more hi, i have a 1996 camaro v6. i have ben trying to find out its exact trim level since i bought it a couple months ago.

i had origionally thought it was in fact an RS model, but i had noticed that it did not actually have any RS badges on it.

i then used a few online VIN number checkers, and they all said that it WAS infact an RS model. (and not a Y87)

im not sure it this hay help determine what it is, but the car has t-tops and stock fog lights, which some camaros of that year did not have.

what the car does not have, is the ground effects flaring that (i think) is supposed to be on the RS. also, unless the factory RS badges were glued on and the badges and glue had been removed flawlessly (and there was never a rivet to leave a hole in the body), there was never a badge in the three normal places.

the car was POSITIVELY never in a wreck or anything that would require replacement of any body panels. the old guy i got it from took great care of it, and the exterior is totally flawless.

a google image search comes up with 1996 rs camaros with and without those ground effects "body flaring".

when someone ordered a v6 (automatic) camaro in 1996, could you have purchased an RS trim and not have the ground effects package? any other ideas?

right now, i guess il give the benefit of the doubt to it being an RS, and not a total base, as the argument "it has no RS badges, but the VIN number shows it is an RS" seems to hold more water than "its not an RS, because it doesn't say RS on it".

thanks, i know this is long, but i know all the little details are probably necessary.
8 answers 8