Julia asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 8 years ago

Do guests wear shoes in your home?

Do you allow guests to wear shoes in your home or do they need to take them off at the door? How do you tell your guests, do you do it when you invite them or some other way at the door?

Favorite Answer

We have a no shoes in the house rule at our home. Everyone that comes inside takes their shoes off at the door before they are allowed to enter the house. Usually most of my visitors are close friends and they know my shoes off rule, and they will have their shoes off before I open the door. Same goes with my kids friends, rarely do we have to ask them as they all just seem to kick off their shoes on their way into the house.

I always try to let guests know ahead of time that they will need to remove their shoes when visiting. I recently invited over a group of mothers from my daughters basketball team for a fundraising planning meeting. We were talking about needing to meet and I offered my home as a polite gesture. I said as long as everyone doesn't mind taking off their shoes, its a house rule of ours. Nobody objected to the request. One mother said "I totally understand I have the same rule in my house." When everyone arrived the took off their shoes and we had the meeting in socks.

I will support a shoes off rule whenever anyone asks about it. I didn't grow up this way but I can say that I absolutely love the rule. Once you get used to it, there is no going back shoes off in the house is the only way to live.

• BBG

I have hardwoods so I don't ask people to take shoes off.

However, when I visit other people's homes I am always prepared to take shoes off if I see the cues (shoe rack on the porch or inside the door, host in slippers, etc.). Sometimes I even see a little note on the door that says, "Please remove your shoes."

My mums super protective of the carpet so anyone that wore shoes on it probably wouldn't exit the house after. But mist people just take there shoes of at the door anyway. I've always taken mine off as soon as I've entered anyones house since I was a kid

As long as people don't wander around my apartment in muddy/dirty shoes they can wear them if they want, but most of the time when they see me walking around barefoot they follow my example.

If shoes in the house is a big thing for you then try subtly letting people know to remove their shoes. "Hey everybody come in! Let me show you where you can leave your shoes." then if someone still tries to keep their shoes on there's no harm in politely saying would you mind please removing your shoes? It is your home after all and people should be respectful of the rules within your house.

• Ghee

It depends on the state of their shoes!! If they are muddy/wet, etc - they they'll take them off by the door -

If they are nice, clean - then not --

My husband and kids take off their boots/shoes most of the time - usually because they're dirty - and they wear socks or slippers - I mostly go barefoot in the house -

• Nancy

No, I have never allowed shoes to be worn in my home. I have a rug and space for people to put their shoes while visiting. I keep my carpet cleaned & vacuumed and shoes bring in dirt and bacteria. My family, kids and friends all know this and never complain.

If they see you in socks they,ll take them off or put shoes at the door so it looks like people take them off

I would expect them to do as i do, would not be fair otherwise.