What to answer at a job interview when the employer ask what your current salary is?

What do you say to a potential employer if they ask you what your current salary is?

I was asked this question during an interview and I gave them a salary based on which I think my level of experience should be making (based on research and asking around).

How can I prepare myself for future interviews where I am able to gain some salary negotiating power early on the interview process before this questioned is asked?

Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback.

One should never tell a potential employer what you are currently making as that can hinder your negotiating powers later on!

Depends on if they ask what your salary is at your current employer or how much you are looking for. If they ask what you are making now, you might as well answer (since they can just ask your current employer what your salary is if they want). However, you should never answer the question "How much are you looking for" - if you come in too low, you will be screwing yourself and if you come in too high, they could disqualify yourself from consideration. Better to answer that (if you can get away with this) "I would prefer not to discuss salary until we are much closer to an employment agreement." If the interviewer pushes, ask him/her "What is your current salary range for this position?" (Put them on the defensive). If they continue to push, you could say "I understand the salary range for similar positions in this area is X to Y, and I am flexible and willing to negotiate."

You can also google job interview salary question or something similar - there are plenty of great stock answers that you can use. Again, try not to answer the question of salary.

Were you paid at or below the market for how your skills were utilized? If so - then you tell them what the salary is and that you realize it wasn't a market competitive salary.

If you are/were paid above market, then tell them what you were paid and move on.

If you approach it from the standpoint of what you believe you should make, you are potentially hanging yourself out to dry. Because what you feel you are worth, and what the company feels your skills are worth may be two completely different things. And if you give them a number that is lower than they expect, you leave money on the table. If you are over - you risk getting kicked out of the process.

If it's appropriate, you can simply state that you are more interested in the job, company and the challenges than the salary. That once you have a complete understanding of the job and they of your skills, you can have a better conversation about salary.

Source(s): I'm in HR.

More than Bill Gates. Job employers love Lots of cash.

• lcr000

one would be foolish to believe that a potential employer will not check your references and find out how much you make or ask for a pay stub, if you lie and they find out you can be terminated for lt.

And don't believe they cant ask previous employers what you made

Are you retarded? If asked what your salary is you TELL THEM, not what you THINK it should be.

EDIT: Bullshit. If they want you bad enough they WILL negotiate.

i am not working at this time

I prefer not to say, you cheeky b **tard . Something along those lines?

You can say you have an agreement with your current employer that prevents you from disclosing that information.

I always politely but firmly refuse to answer that at all.