What to answer at a job interview when the employer ask what your current salary is?

What do you say to a potential employer if they ask you what your current salary is? I was asked this question during an interview and I gave them a salary based on which I think my level of experience should be making (based on research and asking around). How can I prepare myself for future interviews... show more What do you say to a potential employer if they ask you what your current salary is?

I was asked this question during an interview and I gave them a salary based on which I think my level of experience should be making (based on research and asking around).

How can I prepare myself for future interviews where I am able to gain some salary negotiating power early on the interview process before this questioned is asked?

Thanks!
Update: Thanks for the feedback.

One should never tell a potential employer what you are currently making as that can hinder your negotiating powers later on!