Jehovah's Witnesses, would you accept a Christmas bonus?

If not why not, if you would why would you?

Just as I thought. JW's making excuses for accepting money. I am an ex JW and an Apostate, for those of you who don't know. When I was a JW, I would politely decline any money designated as a Christmas bonus and any Christmas/Birthday presents. Always. I never compromised.

If you are in for a penny, you're in for a pound. If you don't believe in Christmas, you don't accept anything connected with it.

All your rationalizations: "It's really a yearly bonus", "they just call it a Christmas bonus" is more proof that you are all big believers...except when it comes to money.

EDIT Julius O: Is celebrating Christmas a "matter of conscience"?

Who cares if the employer intends it to be a Christmas bonus or not? What does JEHOVAH think?

Absolutely. consciences can be bent with enough cash. Those who think it is about the Job and not a Christmas present are making excuses

Look at the Jackson Family:Kathrine Jackson did not shun her son Michael when he shared his bed withe young boys, nor when he converted to Islam.

Our Christmas present is provided in a Christmas card. each and every 3 hundred and sixty 5 days. My boss who's a Jehovah Witness, only renames it to a end of the three hundred and sixty 5 days bonus and accepts it, regardless of it coming in a happy trip trips card. One time we had gained a Halloween gown up contest, which they did not take part in. yet, whilst the money we gained replace into exceeded out, yet another Jehovah Witness asked it replace into trip money. That if it have been, he ought to not settle for it, yet...if it replace into referred to as end of the three hundred and sixty 5 days bonus money, he ought to. The boss pronounced that's in spite of you want it to be. He then universal the money. i might say there are 2 much less of the one hundred forty four,000 going to the huge abode.

If you know enough Jehovah's Witnesses and worked with us, then you know that one of the first things we do is make it known either on our first day, first week, or even during a job interview, that we are Witnesses. I now work part-time from my home, but for years I worked in an office environment. And everyone knew that I was a Witness, thus, I was not invited to the office birthday parties nor was I asked to take part in Christmas celebrations, Secret Santa, year-end party etc. They thought I was weird, of course, but they also respected me.

As for a bonus, most bonuses are actually year-end bonuses. Some companies gives these out for employees to share in the company’s profits at year end. The bonus may be an expression of gratitude for services rendered during the year, as well as a stimulus to motivate employees to continue their good work. The employer gives it to all employees, regardless of whether they are Christians, Jews, Muslims or Jehovah’s Witnesses. It just so happens that Christmas falls at the end of the year, and unfortunately this holiday falls when year-end bonuses are handed out.

If I accept a year-end bonus, am I celebrating Christmas? Am I acknowledging that I will celebrate the birth of Jesus? Am I giving gifts in exchange? Am I saying merry Christmas? No, I am not.

This is a matter of conscience--our main concern is to bring glory to Jehovah and not stumble others. As for myself, I have already made it clear that I am a Witness and do not celebrate holidays. But if it's a year-end bonus, and given to all employees regardless of their religious belief, yes I will accept the year-end bonus because I worked hard through the year.

However, it also depends on the intent of the giver. If I am offered a “bonus” or a gift and I can tell it’s with the clear intent of showing that I am not firm in my belief or that I am hypocritical, then I will decline. Again, every situation is different.

And... I'm sorry but I have to comment on the statement made by "Unsilenced Lioness". It is truly sad! For one thing, why is she answering this question, when it is directed to Witnesses? She is not a Witness. And why is she bringing the Jackson family into this? Michael is dead. And as for Katherine Jackson, I do not know her. Does Lioness know her? Unless she knows her personally she had no right to accuse Mrs. Jackson. Many claim to be Witnesses, but only they and Jehovah know if they truly are genuine Witnesses and only they respond to Jehovah for their actions.

Why are people so BITTER and mean? Because they are misled!

The employer may not even be thinking that by accepting the bonus the receiver is celebrating Christmas. The employer may simply be giving all his workers a share of the company's profits. Or the bonus may be evidence of his gratitude for services rendered all year long as well as a stimulus to continued good work. The employer may give a gift to all employees Jews, Muslims, or others regardless of whether they celebrate Christmas or not. So the mere timing of the gift or the name that may be associated with it does not necessarily rule out its acceptance by one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

It would not be Scripturally wrong for a Christian to accept a present or bonus given to him by his employer during the Christmas season. Some business firms give a yearly bonus to all their employees (not to outsiders in general) and they simply choose this time of year to do it. Were I work, my boss only give it because is the law. So acceptance would not mean the recipient was celebrating Christmas, for a bonus is what is paid to an employee above his regular pay.

The Way

Source(s): The Bible

I have refused it. At the company i work for now, it is a end of year bonus. I refused it at my previous company because it was actually a christmas bonus.

Really though, it is a individuals conscience decision.

WHY CONSIDER THE CONSCIENCES OF OTHERS?

You may find yourself surprised at times by the degree to which Christian consciences differ. One person finds a practice or custom objectionable; another enjoys it and sees no basis for condemning it. In the matter of social drinking, for example, one finds delight in taking a drink with a few friends as they relax together for an evening; another is troubled by the practice. Why are there such differences, and how should they affect our decisions?

People differ for many reasons. Backgrounds vary greatly. Some, for instance, are acutely aware of a weakness that they have struggled with in the past—perhaps not always successfully. (1 Kings 8:38, 39) When it comes to alcohol, such individuals would likely feel particularly sensitive. If such a person comes to your home for a visit, his conscience may rightly move him to refuse the offer of a drink. Will you be offended? Will you insist? No. Whether you know his reasons or not—reasons that he may choose to keep private in this setting—brotherly love will move you to be considerate.

The apostle Paul saw that consciences often varied widely among Christians in the first century. Back then, some Christians were troubled about certain foods that had been sacrificed to idols. (1 Corinthians 10:25) Paul’s conscience did not object to such foods that were subsequently sold at markets. To him, idols were nothing; idols could never own food that originated with Jehovah and belonged to Him anyway. Yet, Paul understood that others did not share his view of this matter. Some might have been deeply involved with idolatry before becoming Christians. To them, anything even formerly connected with idolatry was offensive. The solution?

Paul said: “We, though, who are strong ought to bear the weaknesses of those not strong, and not to be pleasing ourselves. For even the Christ did not please himself.” (Romans 15:1, 3) Paul reasoned that we should put the needs of our brothers ahead of our own, just as Christ did. In a related discussion, Paul said that he would rather not eat meat at all than stumble a precious sheep for whom Christ had given his life.—1 Corinthians 8:13; 10:23, 24, 31-33.

On the other hand, those with a more restrictive conscience should not be critical of others, insisting that all view matters of conscience just as they do. (Romans 14:10) Really, the conscience is best used as an internal judge, not as a license to judge others. Remember Jesus’ words: “Stop judging that you may not be judged.” (Matthew 7:1) All in the congregation want to avoid making an issue of personal matters of conscience. Instead, we seek ways to promote love and unity, building one another up, not tearing one another down.—Romans 14:19.

(yes a cut and paste, but it covers the subject so well)

Source(s): lv chap. 2 pp. 19-21 How Can You Maintain a Good Conscience?

A Christmas bonus is associated with the birth of Jesus. A Christmas bonus was given in the spirit of celebrating His blessed birth, which JW's are known haters of.

My wife works at a local drug store...they had a Christmas party, and the fat JW employee ate almost all of the Christmas chocolate.... Gluttony is also allowed in Jehovah's Witnesses...another, associated form of greed..

Jehovah's Witnesses do not care about anything but themselves, so they will accept the supposedly "pagan" holiday money, and laugh about the birth of Christ..they are nice, but selfish, hypocritical people."

JUIUS, if you truly believe this,

If you are saying that accepting Christmas money is O.K., by personal conscience,

Why does the WTS disfellowship you if you exercise the right to "allow" or not allow people to participate in things such as celebrating the Birth of Christ?

By the WT allowing Peripheral use (accepting Christmas booty) of what they consider "Pagan worship", aren't they being hypocrites? If a "little leaven spoils the whole lump", a little Christmas bonus would do the same thing....but where money and Jehovah's Witnesses are involved, a little leaven is not of any concern.

Jehovah's Witnesses use many of the proper scriptures, but way out of context, and proportion to the intent of the text, and apply it to themselves only if it benefits them as a religion...

Why not allow you your free Christian conscience to actually function, as pointed out by your post?

A little Christmas goes a long way if your conscience could allow it to ...

Oh, and they ALL accept free booze....

One of them said to me the other day; "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal Lobotomy.

Go ahead, thumbs down to bury my answer again, I am used to your cheating scales...

Someone with faith and brains will read it though, and they will be set a notch closer to freedom.

We bought a lady at work a birthday cake once, before we knew she was a JW. She politely let us know, but took some cake anyway. So, yeah, they'll take the goodies.

Jw are famous for working for peanuts... volunteers at the WTS camp. I think they should not receive the darn money... or jehovah will smite them.

• Yes I would take the bonus at Christmas , if it was for my efforts through the year as long as you don't expect me to become a pagan & celebrate Christmas.

I have no control over what time your stupid enough or smart enough to give me a bonus.

Of course they would. You will see how quickly people start to make excuses and exceptions for their beliefs when money is involved.

Yes. It's about your job and not about celebrating christmas.