What's with Star Wars?

After watching all six, as an moderate fan, I found the quality of story telling to be fairly constant. So, I wonder why it is everyone is all "Oh, the original trilogy is waaay better." I was wondering if this might be because everyone had there own idea of how it should have started, or maybe people didn't want the beginning to be messed with.

I 'm just wondering why so many think the original trilogy is better.

• qris
    Favorite Answer

Well one they weren't consistent in storytelling. The first star wars was written by someone who cared about the story he was telling, and it was obvious. George spent a lot of time working on that script and you can tell because of the amount of mythos work he spent on detailing the way the characters interact as well as the way the setting interacted with the players. It was also written with input from other people including two producers. The next two movies weren't even directed by Lucas nor were they written by him. Empire strikes back, usually argued as the best of the trilogy, had almost no input except as a producer from him. He also develops a very firm backstory as well as consistent storytelling elements in the first three movies. The force is a mythical religious somewhat magical utensil in the hands of egalitarian Jedi. While it is a very strong tool it is not all powerful as can be seen throughout the movies. Moreover it is a struggle against an oppressive regime that gets it's start in the clone war days, hyperspace travel is limited to bulkier frigates and only the most advanced x wings, and wisdom is the single greatest power of the Jedi. Also the interactions between the characters are both playful and deep and are fairly well done even if the lines are somewhat hokey. The actors created three dimensional characters and the story allowed for the three dimensions to be explored. The quality of acting done by the main leads is pretty amazing for a sci fi movie. Take Han for instance, a mercenary ship captain, sees himself as a ladies man but develops into a one princess kind of guy, begins the first movie making fun of the force but eventually realizes it's importance and value. At first adverse to heroics but by the end of the trilogy you expect him to be the hero and come to people's aid. And he changes throughout the three movies. Luke starts out as a whiny farm boy and develops into this somewhat dark very stoic and sincere character by the third movie. While the other characters remain somewhat static the three main humans :Han, Luke and Leia really change throughout the three movies and develop their characters.

Also while there is a science aspect to it, it really is more of a space opera, an epic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_opera and while some may criticize that type of work I think space opera can be very good. Also the movies focus most of the time on one or two main fully developed characters.

With the newest three movies we are introduced to settings changes from the first three which would be all right as they are different movies but they don't retain consistency even throughout the new trilogy. We get meta chlorians in the first movie and by the third they have completely backed away from the importance of these creatures. We are introduced to the God King Jedi or Super jedi in the form of anakin by the second movie despite no other jedi being even half as good (see jump from moving speeder to know what I mean) yet he can still get taken by a character who has no special unique powers?

Let's talk about static characters. Obi won doesn't change at all. That's not to say he didn't try to change as the actor Ian Macgregor obviously tried to instill some life in the character but it was so bad he couldn't fake 3 dimensional qualities. The kid was a horrible actor. Haydyn was equally bad. The only character who demonstrates any change or reasonable difference from one movie to the next was the emperor. As for setting all sorts of things changed. Now everyone ca do hyperspace travel. They went from having to use giant engines to these very elegant gossamer winged parachute devices. In other words, the technology went backwards as time moved forwards. There were a number of settings changes that dramatically changed the accepted history from the first movies that didn't make sense. But for me the driving difference was scale. the first trilogy was an epic driven by a small pivotal group of characters. The second trilogy was meant to be character driven focused on Anakin but spent as little time on Anakin as possible and really divided the attention between obi won and anakin and instead of being character driven it really become scene driven r plot driven focused on the next cool toy. It also fell into the early sci fi trap where every epic fight had to take place in an area with superhot fires and closing doors.

If I thought more I might be able to write a better essay on why I thought the first three movies and the 6th movie weere much better than Episode 1 and 2.

I think because maybe some of them didn't like the way it was modernised. Others felt maybe George Lucas went too far and that the stories don't quite seem to fit together. Others probably felt that Jarjar Binks ruined it. :P

It depends on the individual fan.

Personally I enjoyed them and I'm certainly a fan. :P

My own issues are: Darth Vader saying "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" ruined it a bit, and the 2nd movie with the love scenes between Anakin and Padme went on far too long that they became boring. Other than that I love those movies and I love the fact they were a little faster paced in the light saber scenes.

Because George Lucas began his corporate-whoring at Episode 1, which was a show completely pandered to kids between the ages of 9 and 13, all three of them. And dont get me wrong, the others had beautiful merchandising opportunities, but the use of filmmaking rather than cgi ******* around was on par with Spielberg's Indiana Jones series.

That and Jar Jar.

Jar jar can die.

• Evan

For me its I loved the first 3 movies and I wanted to know the story so I read books and such before they released the 2nd trilogy and the story just is not told right

The Original Trilogy was more mythic, and the characters were more developed. Also a big reason why Star Wars is so popular is nostalgia and the Star Wars in our minds. A lot of us first saw those movies as kids. As a young child there was nothing more mesmerizing and fascinating to me as Star Wars. When those movies first came out, we didn't know very much about all the characters. Take for example my personal favorite, Boba Fett. Why do you think he became so popular? Besides being a mysterious badass and standing around looking cool, he had a relatively small amount of screen time. This got us interested and made us want to see more. It's easy to project anything you want onto a character that doesn't say much and looks pretty f*cking cool. All my play time stories in childhood involved Boba Fett and sometimes that very awesome action figure released prior to 'The Empire Strikes Back'. When questioning the condition of his cargo in TESB, he's the only one who verbally crosses Vader and doesn't get choked like imperial officers or screwed on his deal like Lando in a similar situation. He has Vader's respect and is the only one hired by Jabba and by Vader to capture number 2 protagonist also a badass character. In this case of a bounty requested by Jabba, he literally uses the Empire, mocking it ("As you wish"), but that was part of what made him so fearless and calculating. He doesn't give a sh!t about his employers, takes the jobs that are convenient for him, and asks for a ridiculously large amount of money. Jeremy Bulloch is responsible for giving Boba Fett that attitude even with very few lines. When we see young Boba in 'Attack of the Clones' it came as quite a shock, although Logan's acting was great for a kid. He just wasn't that same Fett as in my mind. And WHERE IS THE HELMET! We never saw Boba Fett without it. That armor and helmet are part of him and why he looks so intimidating. As well as his weapons and gadgets and a signature ship that made him recognizible. All the sudden he's a clone of a bounty hunter we didn't know anything about. Who is this Jango Fett and why is he so special that an entire army is made from his DNA? Well we know more about him now thanks to the expanded universe, but Boba Fett was just so special to me for so long and should have been kept more of a mystery. That's my badass bounty hunter son of a b*tch, and I love all things Fett and Mandalorian. I even make my own very nice, authentic looking sets of Mandalorian armor and cosplay with other adults who have the minds of children. I cling very tightly to certain parts of my childhood, and I do anything possible to keep the memories alive.

As far as other things effected by the prequels, take Vader. We hate the fact that the wanting to save his wife from dying bullsh!t pushes him over the edge. Hayden's performance basically ruins the concept in our minds of this powerful no nonsense Dark Lord we saw in the OT. And now the Force is attributed to microscopic organisms in blood? The Force used to be very personal and like a religion. Also an energy field like Qi (chi). Now it seems like anyone can be a Force sensitive who was born with these organisms in their body. The romance between Anakin and Padme was nauseating and did not keep with the style of the originals. What happened to "I love you." "I know." That was classic and part of Han's character. And the focus on the CGI was more important than the actual story. And the backgrounds. There is a big difference between shooting on location and CGI. For the Original Trilogy the scenes shot in Tunisia, Norway, and California were amazing. The actors were better in the originals also. People don't give Mark Hamill enough credit. He really is an excellent actor and a very interesting guy. He was spot on portraying a naive farm boy who transitions into a mature adult or Jedi. David Prowse and Bob Anderson made Vader who he is with his sexy walk and lightsaber style. And the voice of James Earl Jones is what made Vader iconic. He just would not be the same and as terrifying without it. Also the music, thanks to John Williams, made The Original Trilogy even more emotional and dramatic. He does the music in the prequels too, but we first heard his work for Star Wars in The OT. It was in 'A New Hope' during that touching scene where Hamill captures Luke's longing where we heard 'Binary Sunset' for the first time. And in my favorite movie, 'The Empire Strikes Back' where we first heard the very awesome 'Imperial March". Of course these are my opinions, but most people feel this way too, especially first generation Star Wars fans like myself.

- Excuse my spelling. I'm not spell checking this.

Source(s): Star Wars fan since '77

I'm with the others, Han Solo was my favorite character in the series, and I couldn't stand half the actors in episodes 1-3, plus Jar-Jar. No one likes Jar-Jar.

tyhe original fans of the series were like 20 years ago watchign this movie as children, so its like me and these new marvel n\moveis, no matter what they do they wont live up to my expectations. and jar jar sucked SO HARD! yes it was well put together but that part alone was just trying shamelessly to hook the hyounger generation.

They are just more fun. HARRISON FORD that's all I'm gonna say. Part 1 that little Anakin kid screwed it up. Part II Anakin Messed it up. And um part III Anakin once again

The first three were more fun and didn't take themselves so seriously.

me nono