should employers be able to discriminate against who they hire based on race, gender, religion, etc..?

im thinking yes because its the employers property & the constitution (to my knowledge) doesnt give the govt the authority to tell employers (in the private sector) who they have to hire.

im in favor of trusting that these people are business savvy enough to care more about thier bottom line (money) than sticking it to a person of a particular demographic. im also in favor of letting the market dictate things like this. all within reason of course.

another thing is that its wishful thinking to think that govt regulation can end bigotry. if anything forcing employers to hire certain people would only breed resentment & divisiveness.

the reason i bring this up is because im reading a book called The Blank Slate: The Modern Denial of Human Nature & one chapter is about gender where he talks about feminists complaining about womens lack of representation in certain professions or positions (higher ups).

the author goes on to explain how feminists accused people of discrimination based on gender. among other things. my question is....shouldnt an employer have the right to hire people & factor in things like race & gender? im sure it happens anyway, but, i side with the employers & giving them the right to do so without consequence. and if problems ever did arise, its not like you cant change & tweak things as needed.

They do - it's called Affirmative Action. For the most part I'm against it. I think people should be hired based on merit.

Should employers be able to statistically discriminate? - discriminate based on risks that are statistically supported? That's a tricky one - Insurance companies do it as a matter of practice, I don't see why businesses shouldn't be able to.

~

I come from a family of entrepreneurs, and I do have to say, I am with you on the fact that they should hire who they want that best fits their business and it's needs. Let's face it, most people want to buy a car from a man. If you own a car dealership, and are forced to hire female salespeople, it will affect your bottom line.

If your business is a cosmetics shop, it would seem silly to hire a man to "advise" customers on how to use the products. Again, hurts the bottom line.

But some things don't sit well with me, such as age discrimination. My mother was replaced at her receptionist job for a young, attractive woman, and Mom was perfectly competent at her job.

I tried 3 times here to address race, and can't do it delicately enough...sorry! lol

employers already discriminate against those things when hiring people, at least where I live. One employer I know didnt want to hire a woman, another didnt want to hire a man because he wanted a pretty woman, another didnt want to hire a black man, etc....they all ignore their applications or just used some other excuse not to hire them.................

I think so too. But thanks to affirmative action, (whining feminists) employers can't discriminate based off gender, etc.. The government does that instead. "This company has too many male employees! Let's stop hiring men just because they're men."

Sure....that's not discrimination.

No - but by not discriminating based on gender. race, religion and so forth, they will discriminate based on ability only.

And the effects are the same, aren't they?

No affirmative action - no discrimination. Just be fair.

Source(s): Employers will be fair, it's in their interest.
  • Q

The government doesn't tell people who they have to hire. The government tells them they can't discriminate against people because of their race, sex, or religious background. Doesn't it depend on how many employees they have as well?

How would you feel if all the businesses in your small town decided they weren't hiring white men as a policy? In fact, they aren't even going to do business with white men. Why stop at hiring practices?

Businesses get away with it all the time though. It's a difficult thing to prove, and even when it is proven, how often do you hear of cases actually being won against employers in discrimination suits?

Why defend people like this, John? Yeah, people who hate Jews and black people should just be able to not hire them simply for being Jewish or black. What goes on in your mind?

• They shouldn't be able to discriminate but neither should they be forced to hire someone based on race, religion or sex.

small business owners do all the time. all that govt regulation is for corporate jobs with HR dept's.

I wouldnt hire any muslims, arabs with beards, arabs without beards, or any type of middle easterner unless it was israeli, or indian.

Why not man its all good.