Why did the Tamil Tigers lose in Sri Lanka?
After a very long war, one in which the Tamil Tigers seemed at times on top, why did they finally lose? What do you think is the main reason?
Ineffective tactics that ostracized people?
Minority status of the ethnic group represented by the Tamil Tigers?
The strength of the national army and dedication to eradicating "terrorism"?
The death of their leader?
- CalculusLv 58 years agoFavourite answer
A combination of several factors:
1. Political will to finish LTTE terrorism once and for all. (Such political leadership would later rubbish international calls to exercise restraint in attacking civilian areas and hospitals etc under the guise of taking out terrorists. Anyways finishing off LTTE is a good thing, but 40,000 civilians losing lives in the final stages of the war is not; those who got the lines blurred and overstepped the rules of engagement must be held to account.)
2. Battle-hardened, seasoned military leadership (Gen Sarath Fonseka) who believed the Tamil Tigers can be defeated militarily (as opposed to many before him that believed otherwise) and him appointing talented, relatively young but battle-hardened soldiers as field commanders, bypassing seniors with tonnes of badges on their uniforms but little talent. Battle plans devised by the reinvigorated army took the enemy by surprise in the war especially from 2007 till its end in 2009. The president of the country (referred to in No: 1 above) would later imprison his top military general (Gen Fonseka) on trumped-up charges to keep the General from challenging him in politics, but that's a different matter.
3. Unprecedented allocations from the country's budget for procuring military hardware and training etc.
4. Tamil Tigers had an unprecedented split in its ranks in 2004-2005 when one of its most senior military leaders ("Colonel Karuna") broke away due to differences between him and LTTE leader, and in the process sent home thousands of foot-soldiers under his command. His cadres would later provide valuable insight into the terror outfit and identify its weaknesses and also fought the LTTE alongside the Sri Lankan Army. Having defected from the world's most feared terror outfit, "Col." Karuna is now a cabinet minister of the Sri Lankan government.
5. Guerrilla warfare unit of the Sri Lankan Army (a.k.a. LRRP or Long Range Reconnaissance patrol - also fondly known as the "Ghost Brigade" or "Mahasohon Balakaaya" in the local language) who would give the Tamil Tigers huge doses of their own medicine by taking out Tamil Tiger leaders in their own backyard, deep inside enemy territory. LTTE lost dozens of its top brass due to surprise attacks and ambushes conducted by LRRP. This proved to be an effective method rather than waiting for the LTTE leadership to be killed in conventional battle.
Prabhakaran, the LTTE leader was killed in North-East Sri Lanka on the last day of the war and his death had little or no bearing on them losing the war. They had already lost by then.
- Anonymous8 years ago
Reason one for Tamil tigers lost
Tamil Tigers had to fight with 9 countries military power (India, Pakistan, Japan,China, Russia, ETC )
All these countries were providing Srilanka with military training, weapons , war planes etc etc.
Sri lanka alone no way able to make tamil tigers lose. Sri lanka only good at raping the tamil girls as young as 14 years old.
Reason Two : Srilankan government was using banned weapons in the war , chemical weapons ,cluster bombs etc etc.
Reason three : Srilankan government f was targetting the innocent tamil civilians, goverment forces was bombing the no fire zone , civilians hospitals , schools , temple, church , etc etc.
Reason four : Sri lankan government forces was holding the tamil innocent civilians as human shield so the tamil tigers was not able to use their full firepower.
Sri lankan genocidal government propagandists are doing a job welldone. It seems like any time they see topic/questions/article about tamils/tamil tigers the sinhala propagandists don't go to work they stay home and mislead and brainswash the public by posting false. Sri lanka instead of wasting money on propaganda/Lobbying/Bribing should spend that money on developing the north and East.
- Anonymous8 years ago
The western fell for sri lankan government propaganda and helped the government by banning/Isolating the tamil tigers. The Sri lankan Genocidal Government was using chemical weapons/cluster bombs to wipeout Tamil Tigers including innocent tamil civilians including todlers.
- 8 years ago
India, Pakistan, China and all other communist countries supported fascist sri lankan government and provided all kinds of support them and the sri lankan government with the supports of the said nation wiped all tamils including tigers.
- What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
- ?Lv 45 years ago
Because we Tamils didn't stopped supporting them mentally.
- ♫Sanga the King♫Lv 68 years ago
LoL...funny how LTTE terrorist sympathises suddenly get so exited when they see these qs.
There are 2 reasons..The main one is the correct Political leadership by Mahinda...no doubts about that..he did an amazing job
Also he appointed right people for right places apart for the foreign minister post.General Sarath Fonseka & Navy Commander Karannagoda were great.
he handled the international pressure wonderfully..
Also Karuna separating from LTTE too made it bit easierSource(s): but It was an war that all the international experts said that cannot be done..NO sri lankan believed that LTTE could be military defeated till the mid 2008.. No sri lankan ever thought this country would ever be peaceful..No one dreamed about Sri Lanka developing But Mahinda,Gotabaya,Sarath Fonseka & the Security Forces did the most impossible thing EVER !
- Dasun CostaLv 58 years ago
They were never a powerful force, just the goverment don't want to kill so many humans. That's why all SL goverments try to solve this war using pease talks.
LTTE cross the line and paid for it. They were too over confidence.
- Anonymous8 years ago
i think tamil tigers not good for sri lanka.