Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 9 years ago

Making tomato soup without a blender or canned ingredients?

I want to make a sort of minimalist/raw food/vegan type of tomato soup. Im not very experienced in cooking especially making things from scratch. I definitely want to make this for my diet so please give input.

I don't quite grasp the concept of the stock/broth. What exactly is it made of, what are the least amount of things I would need to make it, and how was it made originally around the time it was invented.

As I said in the title I want to be using the grating method for the tomatos and not a blender, I also don't want to use anything from a can or any milk or butter.

Please tell me how to make a minimalist type of tomato soup first, but feel free to suggest other ingredients for flavor after.

Also if anyone knows any other ways of getting the juice out of the tomatos besides a blender would be interesting too.

You cannot grate tomatoes. The skins are too tough. All you'll get is squashed tomatoes. Take some tomatoes. Put them in a saucepan. Cut them in pieces first, or mash them gently in the pan to release some juice. Cook at low to medium heat(tomatoes burn easily so watch them) until they are as soft as you want, mash them as small as you want. Along the way, the peels will come loose so you can remove them if you want. This will take a while, half an hour or so at least. You now have cooked tomatoes. If you want some seasoning, you could have cooked a little chopped onion or garlic along with those tomatoes. Both go well with tomatoes. You can add any vegetables you like, in fact, and any seasoning. Salt is pretty basic, Black pepper, oregano, basil, are all good with tomatoes. A touch of chili powder, maybe. A hint of cumin. A tiny tiny hint of cloves is interesting.

I know, that isn't a raw recipe. I think tomatoes are better cooked, even slightly. If you want a truly raw recipe, look up one for gazpacho. It might call for using a blender. You can chop finely instead, which is how people made stuff like that before we all had electricity. A sieve or food mill can also be used to puree things. You don't have to do much to get juice out of tomatoes. cut them or squash them, the juice will come out. Tomato juice like you buy in the store is made with cooked tomatoes, by the way. Some people think if they juice a tomato they'll get something like it, but they don't.

Stock is composed of the liquid that remains after you have cooked a number of ingredients together, usually for at least an hour, and I cook mine for at least 6 hours. Time develops flavour. It usually but not always includes meat, chicken, or fish. It can be made from vegetables alone. It's a good way to use up odds and ends which aren't in the best shape for eating on their own but aren't spoiled. You make the stock from them and toss them when the stock is done. It's usually used as a starting point for soup. You use it as the liquid in place of water, becaue stock has more flavour. I don't know but guess that it started when people had no refrigeration. You couldn't freeze your leftovers. It was eat them pretty soon or throw them away. So people tossed them in a big pot and cooked them until they became something else to eat.

Garden Fresh Tomato Soup

Ingredients:

2 tbsp Olive Oil

1 tbsp Garlic, minced

4 cups Diced Tomatoes

2 cups Water

2 tsp Vegetarian Chicken Seasoning

1 tbsp Dried Oregano

2 tsp Garlic Powder

2 tsp Onion Powder

1/4 cup Soy Milk

1 tbsp Cornstarch

Salt and Pepper to Taste

Directions:

Heat the oil in a large soup pot and saute the garlic for about 1 minute. Add the diced tomatoes and water.

Bring to a boil and cover. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.

Dice the tomatoes very small . Strain the mixture by pushing on the tomatoes through a small hole strainer to remove the seeds and any remaining skins.

Put the mixture back in the pot and add the spices, mixing well.

In a measuring cup whisk together the milk and cornstarch until no lumps remain. Add the mixture to the soup. Mix well.

Heat the soup to a low boil and simmer for another 5 minutes.

Serve with some Daiya and sour cream if desired.

This soup makes great leftovers and you can perfectly pair it with a grilled ‘cheese’ for a complete meal.

• ?

Basic tomato soup is really easy.

I just cut the tomatoes into pieces and throw them into a pot to cook down.

Notice that I didn't skin them before cooking.

They have lots of juice in them.

If you cook on medium or lower heat they won't burn.

When the tomatoes are cooked I just mash them.

Fork, potato masher, wooden spoon. It does not matter.

Tomatoes usually fall apart as they cook anyhow, and a bit of chunkiness is ok in a soup like this.

If I have a hand blender I might blend the soup in the pot, If I have a food mill I might run the soup through it.

This makes for a very smooth soup.

If I am not blending or putting it through a mill I pick the skins out now, they tend to roll up into tough little tubes and are not nice in the soup, but if it is getting blended the skins get ground up and disappear..

.

You can throw a bit of basil, celery or oregano in with them if you have it, but I think oregano makes it taste too much like pizza sauce.

Any other spices you like can go in too.

Tomatoes go well with almost anything.

Celery seems to go well, chop the celery leaves into it as well as the ribs.

Things like squash, potatoes or sweet potatoes thicken and smooth the tomato soup.

If you are adding onions carrots or other vegies they should go into the pot first with just a bit of oil to precook just a bit.

Otherwise they will still be hard after the tomatoes are cooked.

You can add things like rice or noodle if you want to thicken it too.

Sometimes I throw a bit of pot barley or a variety of fast cooking beans into it. (bean soup mix, lentils, kidney beans, pinto beans, split peas etc. You know what I mean, just not slow cooking beans like old navy beans)

The recipe Jessica gave looks very good, but wanting to make it easier, I would just not bother straining out the skins or seeds after cooking and since I do not add soy or milk to my tomato soup just a little cornstarch with a small amount of water would thicken it if desired. I also like to add 2 celery stalks chopped with a knife, for flavour.

The tomatoes soup can be prepared from tomatoes only

That they are good for health, however if you are asking which is better for diet in cases like this all vegetables would do well

• Ethan

A veggie is a plant or part of a flower used as food