Do meal replacement shakes actually make you loose weight?

Hello :) I've been on a diet called 'beyond calories' it seems to be working, but it's difficult, it picks meals for you and stuff.. I just want to loose weight fast before i see my family for xmas Anyway, do meal replacment diet shakes work? Not big fancy ones like Rapid Loss or whatever, just a... show more Hello :)
I've been on a diet called 'beyond calories' it seems to be working, but it's difficult, it picks meals for you and stuff.. I just want to loose weight fast before i see my family for xmas
Anyway, do meal replacment diet shakes work? Not big fancy ones like Rapid Loss or whatever, just a cheap one from Aldi (Aussies will know what that is). Any experiences or advice will help :)
thanks!
Update: If i was going to replace two meals i would pick breakfast and dinner and eat a normal lunch, since i would be at school