Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsDrawing & Illustration · 8 years ago

How can I make a living/career out of art/illustration/graphic/game design?

Hi,

I'm really looking for some information on art/illustration and graphic/game design, would also love to know from someone who does it for a living.

Ever since I was a kid (I'm 21 now) I've been into two things consistently; drawing and games. I have always through about being a game designer since I was young, but have always disregarded it as a career because I feel that way too many people want to do it, and are potentially better then me. I also feel that because it is such a specialised job, there would be little to no job offers and finding work may be difficult. I thought it might be best if I branched into graphic design as well as illustration, as that way I would have more job opportunities?

My style is more cartoony – think jak and daxter, ratchet and clank, nintendo games etc; I don’t think I could ever do things for more realistic and detailed games like warcraft, assassins creed, mass effect etc. I could, however, happily do things like backgrounds, plants, animals, etc – is that makes sense?

I have been working full time to support myself since I left school, and initially felt it was “too late” for me to go back to school, but my parents are willing to help support me while I study. I am just not sure how to go about it, should I give up on my game design dream? Is it really too late to start on something so popular?

Maybe I am looking into the wrong area, should I focus on art and illustration and some graphic design instead? Hoping that maybe one day I’ll get to work on a game? I am sick of the corporate call centre scene where I am now, and it is slowly killing my soul! I want to study and do something I’m actually passionate about for a career… I don’t need hundreds of thousands of dollars to make me happy, I would love to earn just enough to live comfortably, not extravagantly. I earn $50,000 pet year at the moment, realistically I would need to make at least that to live on a single income if need be, and still be able to save money. I don’t mind working odd hours or weekends, and would happily move around the country, or another country if need be.

People are actually looking for background and plant designers too, since not everyone wants to do that. I think there are many more positions open for that than for character designers. If you're really really passionate about this and willing to put in all of your time, go for it. It sounds like you're really not happy with your job. You don't want to look back and think that you should have at least tried it out. With the salary you have, I think you can easily afford it. Game design programs cost anywhere between 10 and 50 thousand. (Canada has way cheaper courses than the states, by the way.)

You're only 21?? I'm 22 and studying Game Art! (It's funny, I actually started out in illustration and graphic design.) There are people older than me going to school for this so it's not too late at all; quite the contrary!

Though it is competitive, the more all-around abilities you have for game design (drawing, concepts, modeling, 3d texturing, rigging, etc), the better your chance of getting hired. Take a game course that has life drawing and helps you to properly prepare a demo reel. Specifically look for courses that have successful graduates or impressive student portfolios, and that have instructors that have experience or are currently working in the industry. It will help you get your foot in the door. You don't even have to get hired by a company to get work. You can also do freelance modeling, as a lot of productions outsource and hire freelance artists sometimes.

You can do it! Good luck!

Source(s): Illustrator/Designer, studying 2d and 3d game arts.
  • I understand being where there may not feel like there are many opportunities and competition can be strong in the animation/game fields, but if game design is what you really want to strive to be a part of then by all means go for it. There is little to ever regret in at least trying to follow dreams. There are schools out there with great 3D animation/modeling programs that deal with the game creation aspect of putting that kind of software to use and how it's made into a game.

If your style is cartoony, that's completely ok! There are so many styles out there, the sky's the limit. I personally love creating the environments and objects within a scene. Plus, realism is partly dependent on the textures that are used and often another person would be an expert in that area while someone else created the object itself.

Honestly, I'd suggest focusing on it all to some extent. Art and illustration would be an asset to game design (think concept art, storyboarding, etc. that are all important parts of the process).

Even if you don't find yourself straight off in a job with a company like Blizzard you could always get yourself teamed up with others and be your own studio, be it real life or virtually, and do your own thing and make a name for yourselves that way. And if it's not paying right away still have ways of putting some of the skills to work while you pursue what you really want.

Hustle. I would say take classes at a Community College or State University if you can't afford a big name school. Try to get work-study in the graphics department -- which usually makes banners. Yes study graphic design if they offer it and to the extent they offer it. At the same time, take academic drawing, and never mind if it is not your bag. That probably won't be what you do when you get out if it is your job. If at all possible, exhibit. There have to be coffee houses and libraries near you which show local artists. Also weekly entertainment papers who are always looking for artists. Show your art because it will get you good feedback. ANY publication history will help ANYWHERE -- NO AD worth their salt will look at a professional publication and sniff "not good enough" unless they are like that idiot Marvel Comics editor who said get some professional experience to the cartoonist of a daily adventure strip after he'd been doing it for NINE YEARS.

Just hustle. You should be able to at least make a good life out of it.

• Amber

Yes, that is when God cursed the earth (Genesis 3). He changed childbirth, the ground, and brought in physical death to man. It seems that He also changed the animals (that had previously only eaten plants, Gen. 1:30): creatures given teeth and claws designed to rend flesh, venom to paralyze, mouths to suck blood, coils to constrict, expandable jaws to swallow prey, etc. As a result of God’s judgment on sin, God has given us a taste of existence without Him—a world full of violence, death, suffering, and disease. Dangerous weather patterns and natural disasters like hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, and tsunamis should remind us that we no longer live in the Garden of Eden. It is a cursed earth and bad things are supposed to happen. Romans 8:20-21 says that the creation was “subjected to futility” by God, and talks about its “slavery to corruption.” You may be thinking, “Well, why am I being punished for what Adam did?” Because if you were in that circumstance, you would have done the same thing. God could have killed them and started over, but the results would have been the same. How do I know? Because every single person since then has sinned; Cain killed Abel and keep going right on down the line (Rom. 3:10, 23); the only exception is Jesus Christ. And so God let Adam simply represent mankind (Rom. 5:12). This planet has been subject to suffering as a consequence of man’s sin. God cursed it, but sin is responsible. When we suffer, it ought to be a sober reminder of how terrible sin is. We all choose to sin and see the results of what sin did to the earth every day.