How can I make a living/career out of art/illustration/graphic/game design?

Hi, I'm really looking for some information on art/illustration and graphic/game design, would also love to know from someone who does it for a living. Ever since I was a kid (I'm 21 now) I've been into two things consistently; drawing and games. I have always through about being a game designer... show more Hi,

I'm really looking for some information on art/illustration and graphic/game design, would also love to know from someone who does it for a living.

Ever since I was a kid (I'm 21 now) I've been into two things consistently; drawing and games. I have always through about being a game designer since I was young, but have always disregarded it as a career because I feel that way too many people want to do it, and are potentially better then me. I also feel that because it is such a specialised job, there would be little to no job offers and finding work may be difficult. I thought it might be best if I branched into graphic design as well as illustration, as that way I would have more job opportunities?

My style is more cartoony – think jak and daxter, ratchet and clank, nintendo games etc; I don’t think I could ever do things for more realistic and detailed games like warcraft, assassins creed, mass effect etc. I could, however, happily do things like backgrounds, plants, animals, etc – is that makes sense?

I have been working full time to support myself since I left school, and initially felt it was “too late” for me to go back to school, but my parents are willing to help support me while I study. I am just not sure how to go about it, should I give up on my game design dream? Is it really too late to start on something so popular?

Maybe I am looking into the wrong area, should I focus on art and illustration and some graphic design instead? Hoping that maybe one day I’ll get to work on a game? I am sick of the corporate call centre scene where I am now, and it is slowly killing my soul! I want to study and do something I’m actually passionate about for a career… I don’t need hundreds of thousands of dollars to make me happy, I would love to earn just enough to live comfortably, not extravagantly. I earn $50,000 pet year at the moment, realistically I would need to make at least that to live on a single income if need be, and still be able to save money. I don’t mind working odd hours or weekends, and would happily move around the country, or another country if need be.