If I change my car's UK number plate, can outstanding parking fines from the old plate be transferred too?

I've been out of the country for nearly 3 years but I'm coming back next year. I got a few parking tickets before I left which I'm sure have been passed to the bailiffs for collection. I understand that Automatic Number Plate Recognition is being widely used these days so I'm thinking of LEGALLY changing my car's number plates. Will any outstanding parking fines on the old number be transferred to the new one?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favourite answer

Yes they will be linked in the DVLA records so they can still catch up with you. The tickets will have gone to court, bailiffs will now be on the case and the total cost will be massive. Rather than the plates you need to change your identity to dodge those.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

No.

To change a plate you'll need to go through DVLA who will register the change and you'll still be liable for fines on the old plate. They'll even chase you if you sell the car.

There's nothing you can do but pay up, tightwad.

• 9 years ago

You will not be able to change them TILL the outstanding fines etc etc etc has been payed up. Systems will flag the number immediately and yes...guess what your going to do..Say Hello to the Law. Rather go. Make arrangements. Pay it and don't get tickets again.. It is easier..

Lv 7
    9 years ago

Any previous registration numbers a car has had remains on file at DVLA.

Why not just pay up and get it out of the way instead of thinking of and going to convoluted lengths to try and avoid it

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

you can change the car plates as much as you want but you can not change the Vehicle Identification or Chaise Number so really what is the point in changing your plates

Source(s): my head
  • 9 years ago

Different plate but still the same car, same past keeper/s and current keeper etc - yes.

• JOHN G
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Yes of course the fines will transfer , you can't get away with it.

• 9 years ago

Your the one with the fines not the car, how can a car get fined?????

• 9 years ago

DVLA 'aint daft. They will follow you to your grave and beyond !

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.