Who pays the bill, me or my landlord? Help!?

Ok, been in our new house about a month and we moved our sky package with us. Broadband tv and phone was set up and all has been fine, now our landline is playing up. Basically our phone was working and still does- we can make and receive calls but when we receive a call it doesn't ring. Checked all connections and phone settings which were all ok, so believing the phone was broke I brought a brand new one only to still have the same problem- no ring. Told sky, they tested all phone sockets which work and now they want to send an engineer which will cost £99 first charge then about £70 per hr after. I really believe we shouldn't pay and sky told us to contact our agent/ landlord. Don't get how a phone works one week then doesn't? But who should be charged for this as this is not our property we're renting so surely a fault/ electrical fault like this is the landlords responsibility ?

Where do we stand I don't think it's fair we have to pay about £200, especially as one phone socket is already dead, help!

Thanks to everyone else so far, I knew deep down it has nothing to do with the landlord but you never know eh!

Just so pist off that this has happened on moving in, so damn expensive its a joke. not gonna bother fixing it lol

This is NOT an electrical fault in the sense you believe is to be. Either your phone died and the replacement is defective, or the phone lines are damaged. Before you have ANYONE come to check the lines, test the phone(s) at another home, and test a known good phone in your house. Next, if possible, test the phone where the lines from outside connect to the building wiring. If the phones still do not work, the phone company is responsible and should not charge anyone. If the phone works at the interface, but not the jacks inside, the fault is in house wiring. If that is the case, the OWNER of the house is responsible.

Sounds like someone's pulled a little cable out somewhere.

Something similar happened to us, turns out a BT guy pulled a cable out when installing next door's line. (We are with O2)

If the phone was working before you moved in and just as you moved in, then it's not the landlord's problem.

Your line IS working, it's just not ringing through to you.

I can't see how you will be charged £99 for a fault that is not your fault. If it is a fault on the line somewhere, then why would you pay? We didn't have to!

My understanding is that you ONLY pay the charge IF they find there is NO problem and it's found it's your issue.

The landlord is not responsible for things like this, in fact a landlord does not even have to provide a line pre installed. We had to pay £120 for BT to install one in our flat.

Get back to sky and double check those charges! Are you using a mico filter? Have you pulled everything out and JUST plugged in the phone directly to the socket?

We found adding too much into the filter also messed things up. The new phone you got, was it digital? If it was, it could be a setting on that or interference from other sources. Have you JUST tried an old type phone and only THAT plugged in.

The fact you CAN make and receive calls means the line IS working, but somewhere there is a problem and it could be as simple as too much on the line from cables etc.

Unless your lease states that your rental includes the phone and any costs connected to it, then it's going to be your cost, I'm afraid. Utilities are normally the responsibility of the tenant, again unless stated to be included in the rent. Some properties do include water, for example, although I've never seen one that includes a phone/phoneline.

We are (renting) with talktalk and had a problem with our phonelines (broadband fine, landline dead). We got into all this BT being responsible for the lines, not talktalk stuff and were indeed quoted these sort of figures for a BT call out. However, much as a BT man did arrive on our doorstep (and I fainted!) he just wanted to come in to test our jack inside the door, discovered it was an external fault and off he went. No cost. So you do need to make certain the fault lies at the property, and not off the property. When this happened with our remote, I plugged in our old phone and it was still not working. You might check your equipment though.

Unfortunately, the telephone line is not covered by any 'law' so it is a contractual issue.

If the contract does not say who is responsible, then it will be you because the telephone line does not form part of the landlords obligations.

this is between you and Sky, nothing to do with the landlord. I agree that you need to have an argument with Sky, but unless the landlord has damaged the line, it is absolutely nothing to do with him.

The landlord does not have to pay for this.

It will be up to you. Either you want the service and you pay, or you do not want it and do not pay. None of this involves your landlord.

• M W

I doubt there is a law, even in the UK, that requires a landlord to provide land line service. It's your choice, so it's up to you to get it fixed.

• ?

Sorry tenants are responsible for phone line repairs. The account is in your name and your lease does not include telephone

Your problem mate. Sorry.

Source(s): Private landlord 25 years/