My Dog May Have Eaten Rat Poison, How Long Before Symptoms Start To Occur?
He is only 3, and we put the rat poison where we though was out of his reach, but clearly it wasn't. He's a Labrador, pretty big, and nobody saw him eat it but we know he likes to eat everything and when we went outside to do some gardening there was paper from the box and heaps of pellets everywhere. We cleaned everything up but he may have ingested 2 or 3. We don't know. How long before symptoms start to occur, and what are they?
The poison was little green pellets for killing rats and mice. Everyone's really worried.
- Janie D.Lv 79 years agoFavourite answer
Usually the chemical begins to break down the clotting factor at about 36 hours. This breakdown continues at a pace that depends on the amount ingested and the weight factor of your dog.
If you just caught this, you can try to minimize the amount his system absorbs by inducing vomiting...but only within the first two hours...after that, your window to make any reduction has closed.
DO NOT WAIT to find out first hand how quickly or how slowly this degenerative process will take before your dog reaches the point of bleeding internally.
Get him to your vet TOMORROW MORNING for PIVKA (or PT) blood testing and to have your vet get him started on a Vitamin K1 injection and follow-up medication. He will need another blood test in a couple of weeks to determine if his clotting factor is normal and there is an all-clear for him. Medications need to be discontinued prior to that, and you keep the schedule for his secondary test otherwise the loss of clotting can recur. If the blood test is clear, this won't be an issue. If the blood test comes back as still positive, medications will need to be continued UNTIL he gets a clean bill of health!
If you don't get this started immediately, you run the risk of your dog requiring I.V.'s, hospitalization and possible transfusions...and a much higher risk of losing him anyway.
When you go to the vet, be sure to take the packaging of the rat poison with you. It will help your vet to determine quickly exactly what kind of rodenticide is involved. (Be advised that some types may not be treatable.)
- 5 years ago
This Site Might Help You.
My Dog May Have Eaten Rat Poison, How Long Before Symptoms Start To Occur?
He is only 3, and we put the rat poison where we though was out of his reach, but clearly it wasn't. He's a Labrador, pretty big, and nobody saw him eat it but we know he likes to eat everything and when we went outside to do some gardening there was paper from the box and heaps of pellets...Source(s): dog eaten rat poison long symptoms start occur: https://shortly.im/dykvC
- 9 years ago
Depending on the kind of rat poisoning your dog ate
There are several types of mouse and rat poisons out there, and they are often sold under the same brand name while having different active ingredients. The important thing to keep in mind is that these poisons all work by different mechanisms of action, and many veterinarians aren’t even aware of these different types!
Unfortunately, there’s no way to physically tell which type of rat poison was ingested without seeing the label or box — after all, most of these come in a green, blue, pink, or tan color, and in pelleted or block form. When in doubt, have the box with the active ingredients and the EPA-REG number listed on it (the latter is required to be on the original container) and readily available at all times; this will allow your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline to know the exact active ingredient in the mouse and rat poison.
The four common mouse and rat poisons include types that cause:
•Internal bleeding (e.g., warfarin, bromadiolone, brodifacoum, etc.)
•Brain swelling (e.g., bromethalin)
•Elevated calcium and secondary acute kidney failure (e.g., cholecalciferol or Vitamin D3)
•Gastrointestinal bloating and potential organ failure (e.g., zinc phosphide)
Depending on which one your dog ate will determine how it is handled. Call your vet IMMEDIATELY with the information of which poison your dog ate, he may want you to induce vomiting, which by the way is only beneficial for one of the four types of poisons. Inducing vomiting when your dog has ingested one of the remaining 3 is more harmful. And do NOT feed your dog during this time unless instructed by the vet to do so.
Pack up your dog and get to the vets or emergency vet hospital time is of the essence!
Hopefully your dog ate the kind of poison that is treated with an antidote.
Please go around your home and pick up ALL poisons and anything that can be toxic to any animal and DISPOSE of it proper. Do NOT allow it to get into the environment or any water drain system.
- What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
- Anonymous4 years ago
For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awbXz
TAKE HER TO THE VET NOW Eating rat poison is potentially life-threatening, especially for very small dogs. The rat poison interferes with the production of blood clotting factors, and three to five days afterward, dogs will start to bleed into different body cavities. Without intensive care including a plasma transfusion, it is often fatal. Of course, it is too late to help your puppies if they haven’t already recovered, but this may help others with the same problem. To treat a dog who has eaten rat poison, a veterinarian will: 1. Induce vomiting within two hours (ideally at a veterinary hospital, but you can do it at home with several teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide). 2. Start treatment with vitamin K, 5 mg per kg of body weight, twice a day for three weeks or longer. 3. If later than two hours, but less than 12 hours, give activated charcoal to help prevent absorption of the rat poison. 4. If more than two days after ingestion, check clotting times and give a plasma transfusion which contains clotting factors in addition to starting on vitamin K. 5. In some critical cases, intravenous fluids and other supportive care including blood transfusions may be required. If your puppies have been getting adequate doses of vitamin K, likely no further treatment will be required. Keep in mind vitamin K can also be prescribed through a human pharmacy, since the treatment for rat poison ingestion in people is the same. (Children have been known to ingest it). It is available in 5 mg and 25 mg capsules.
- 4 years ago
Hi, I understand that you are looking for some advice or resources to help fully train your dog or fix behavior problems. If a professional dog trainer is not an option at this time, or if you want to trt training your dog on your own (a great way to bond), I'd suggest you https://biturl.im/aU68u
A friend recommened it to me a few years ago, and I was amazed how quickly it worked, which is why I recommend it to others. The dog training academy also has as an excellent home training course.
- LesusLv 79 years ago
Call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center
The telephone number is (888) 426-4435. There is a $65 consultation fee for this service.
Be ready with the following information:
* The species, breed, age, sex, weight and number of animals involved.
* The animal's symptoms.
* Information regarding the exposure, including the agent (if known), the amount of the agent involved and the time elapsed since the time of exposure.
* Have the product container/packaging available for reference.
- Anonymous9 years ago
I would take him in immediately to a vet. If caught early, it is a simple treatment. If left before serious symptoms start to show up, then the treatment is very expensive and involved.
- fortuitouzLv 59 years ago
call the emergency telephone number on the box of the product your dog consumed.
they are available 24 hours, they have all the information you need as to how harmful to your dog the product is.. this usually depends on the strength of the product, the amount consumed, the weight, breed, and age of the dog... call them.
- mayLv 49 years ago
is it the green pellet stuff for rats and mice? If so then he should be okay though you could watch him for a while and observe his eating/drinking. If its the green stuff he has to consume about a cup of that to actually affect him. Same with kids, the rat poison is made in consideration that kids might get into it.