Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

Jehovah's Witnesses...?

Why do you have the name 'Jehovah's Witnesses'?

Well, that's god's personal name. In the Bible it says Almighty God's name is Jehovah...

Psalms 83:

18 That people may know that you, whose name is Jehovah,

You alone are the Most High over all the earth.

Isaiah 12:

2 Look! God is my salvation. I shall trust and be in no dread; for Jah Jehovah is my strength and [my] might, and he came to be the salvation of me.”

We are called witnesses because we are supporting Jehovah God's side. We are his witnesses by witnessing what satan has done to mankind. Think of it like we're all at court and standing by God's side and against satan's side. That's one example a sister had told me.

Sasi provided quite a bit of misinformation and half-truths in her answer. Some of the Bible Students broke off fellowship shortly after Rutherford became President of the Watchtower Society, but it certainly wasn't half, much less "more than half"! There may have been a very few *local* congregations where this was the case, but on the global scale that's totally false.

Besides, Rutherford became President in 1917, and the convention which she references where the name "Jehovah's Witnesses" was first proposed took place in 1931. So her suggestion that "this may well have had something to do with it" seems to be just innuendo. And to be factual, Rutherford didn't 'announce the decision' to take that name, a resolution was made, which was subsequently adopted by the delegates present and later by the local congregations around the world that were not represented there. But perhaps those kinds of details don't fit so well with the narrative she's going for here.

And while the Witnesses often used the common King James Version at the time, which had replaced God's name with "LORD" in the far majority of places where it appears, they also made good use of the American Standard Version of 1901 which properly used "Jehovah" all throughout the Hebrew Scriptures. In fact, Witnesses finally obtained the right to begin publishing that version in 1944.

So in addition to Isaiah 43, where the ASV renders the key verse as, "Ye are my witnesses, saith Jehovah", further application was made of scripture, such as at Hebrews chapters 11 and 12, where it is said of Jehovah's past faithful servants, "because we have so great a cloud of *witnesses* surrounding us..." And had Sasi been present at that convention, she likely would not have found it so strange that we didn't rather adopt something like "Jesus' Witnesses", since she would have heard in a further consideration of the Bible that Jesus himself is really Jehovah's *foremost* witness; he being called by the title "the Faithful Witness" and later "the faithful and true witness" by the apostle John. (Rev. 1:5; 3:14) Jesus would indeed continue to be witnessed about, but the ultimate focus of the witnessing work would be his Father, Jehovah. Jesus himself said, "Righteous Father . . . I have made your name known to them and will make it known." (John 17:25-26)

We are called Jehovah witnesses because we represent the true God of the bible who identifies himself as "Jehovah". Jehovah is his personal name, not a title like God or Lord. It may surprise you but throughout history anyone who witnesses to God’s glory could be called a witness of Jehovah.

The Bible, when listing a long line of faithful men of old starting with Abel, calls them “so great a cloud of witnesses.” (Hebrews 11:4; 12:1) Outstanding individuals, such as Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Moses, and David, are listed as God’s witnesses—witnesses of Jehovah. Jesus Christ is called “the faithful and true witness.”—Revelation 3:14.

Jehovah God said that he would turn to the people of the nations and take out a people for his name. (Acts 15:14) They would represent him on earth. Jehovah said that they would serve as his "witnesses" and he would be their God. (Isaiah 43:10)

They did not take that as their name until their second President announced the decision at a 1930s assembly in America. Prior to that they were known as Bible Students, but because more than half of them had broken away due to disagreeing with Rutherford's leadership (changing the first President's chronological system), this may well have had something to do with it.

Rutherford used verses 10-12 in Isaiah chapter 43 to declare that they alone, in all the earth, had been chosen by Jehovah God to be his witnesses. Note that these verses were addressed to the nation of Israel in Isaiah's day: "Ye are my witnesses, saith the Lord, and my servant whom I have chosen: ...therefore ye are my witnesses, saith the Lord, that I am God." Rutherford interpreted those words as now appling to the former Bible Students who were sticking with his leadership.

The JWs used the King James Bible at that time, so 'Jehovah' was not in those verses, but the Bible Students were keen on using 'Jehovah' and so they felt they could call themselves "Jehovah's Witnesses". They apparently did not consider calling themselves "Jesus' Witnesses". Strange, in light of what Jesus said to his disciples before returning to heaven (Acts 1:8).

Simply, they stand as witnesses of Jehovah.

>We are called Jehovah witnesses because we represent the true God of the bible who identifies himself as "Jehovah".

.

No he doesn't. He is identified as YHWH (יהוה) and if you had read the Bible you would know that.

I think I'll throw another name of God in. This is what the burning bush said to moses in the original hebrew texts.

I am Elohim (El), and this is my Ashera (Gods's wife). You Moses, must call me Yahweh.

El, or Elohim is the chief god in the Canaanite pantheon. But, what's puzzling is, Yahweh, was a minor god in the same Canaanite pantheon. Weird, or what?

Religion, whatever.

Really?