Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 8 years ago

Seniors, Do You Remember Fab 208 Radio Luxembourg?

As a boy in the late 1950's, I remember being snug as a bug in bed listening to Radio Luxembourg, Fab 208 on the medium wave. We lived at Lea Metford Camp, Married Quarters in Lydd, Kent, almost on the coast and tuned in every night. Some nights the station faded in and out depending on the weather, but there was a mix of records, chat and radio adverts and IIRC Cliff Richard advertising Valderma soap! Such names as Alan Freeman, David Jacobs and Barry Alldis spun the discs and as we never had a TV in those days it was a special way of hearing the latest "hit parade" before the BBC Light programme ever played them. Were you fans of Fab 208, or if not, what was your favourite radio programme/station of that era?

For interested parties: Radio Luxembourg has a website with photos, jingles and lots more from the 1930's onwards.

www.pjede.de/208/index_2.html or just google Radio Luxembourg for a trip down memory lane.

Favorite Answer

Don't think the signal could reach to US but I have heard stories about the off shore "pirate" stations of that time.

My husband and his friends were Mod's in communist Hungary in the 60's, their only link to the outside "free" world was listening to a small radio to the new sounds from England.

They didn't speak English at all but quickly learned the lyrics to the popular songs of the day.

They always took the risk that one of their neighbors would over hear the western music and report them to the authorities.It made it even more exciting to know they could be taken into jail and questioned if found out.Only "state" approved music was allowed to be listened to and any of the approved rock bands in Hungary were very watered down versions of the real thing.

The kids in Hungary loved everything from England and the US at that time, we saved allot of souls with our rock and roll.

There wasn't just the music on Luxembourg back in the 1950s. Some entertainment and game shows that later moved to ITV started on Radio Luxembourg, e.g. Take Your Pick with Michael Miles.

I still remember the wavelengths - 208 metres Medium Wave and 49.26 metres Short Wave.

I certainly was a fan of Fab 208 I also remember Radio Caroline being just across the water from you in essex i remember a lot of the pirate stations like, Radio Such and, Radio London, I also remember doing the Shadows steps using my cricket bat like a guitar thinking I was Hank Marvin or one of the Shadows and the time The Beatles came to our town and all the girls outside the theatre screaming they disguised 4 police Officers as The Beatles at the end of the concert and as they left with all the Girls screaming after them the beatles were lifted off the room by Helicopter. Oh Happy Days no TV No computers no Mobile phones The good old Tranny radios as we called them.

I spent many a night under the blankets listening to Radio Luxembourg.loved the music they played and found the fading in and out just part of the experience rather than an irritation. There has never been a music station to match it .

Used to listen every night from the late 70s on 1440kHz medium wave and occasionally 49.26metres 6090kHz Shortwave right up to when it closed down altogether in 1992. Reception on mw was variable depending on weather and atmospherics but SW was slightly better and didnt completely fade out like 208m mediumwave did, it just did a fast jit and fade not a prolonged steady fade in and out. In 1990 I noticed Luxy in stereo via the Astra 1a satellite channel 13 on the second stereo mode of RTL Veronique 7.38/7.56mHz with PANDA 1 and listened from then to its last day in dec 1992. I wish eric wiltshier tesug brought it back;I would have welcomed it and let it return on 1440 astra 1a and online but clt slapped eric and said NO.

• Lily

Aah yes Malcky those were the days.

I tuned in regularly on my little transistor radio. My father used to tell me to turn it down and in the end he insisted I use the ear piece that came with it.

As a compromise he soldered a larger power pack battery on the side for me, oh joy.

My favourite radio station was.RADIO LUXEMBOURG I had to go into the front room to listen to it and it used to fade away to almost nothing. Oh those were the days.

• Joan

Yes, we used to gather round the wireless and listen to Radio Luxembourg, but it would often fade away and we had to twiddle the knob to try and get it back again.

I remember it well. Some washing powder [it was called Whisk] ran a competition every Sunday afternoon my Dad won it one week as was there want I had been packed of too Sunday School, [so that they could have a rest]!!!!! Good old Dad a mans man.

• ?

Brought back some memories with this one, thanks.

I seem to remember spending more time tuning and re-tuning than actually listening to the music!