Advise on which is the best laptop?

So christmas is coming up and I'm getting a new laptop/notebook/tablet, problem is I cant decide. Basically I've had my laptop for 6 years and its completely broken, it barely switches on, I use it everyday for at least a couple hours. I use it to download a lot of stuff too which is why it gets infected so much and im constantly wiping it (ill be keeping this to do the dirty work as such so I dont have to spoil the new one.) I need a good laptop as I am completely dependant on it, I do everything on it, shop, schoolwork, social networking, music, videos, EVERYTHING. My problem is i want a good laptop (not just for things mentioned, just like a good one in general cause it is coming to uni and stuff with me now) i cant spend more than about £500 so unfortunately as much as I'd love a Mac it just isn't happening. I'm also stuck as to what to get, I'd love a iPad but I'm kinda worried about doing school work on it, can you get a keyboard or something to make it easier to type up essays? Does it have a word version that would be compatable to school computers too? I'm also put off by the fact it doesn't have flash so your kinda limited to certain things. If I don't go for a iPad I'm stuck between laptop and notebook, notebook is smaller and cheaper which is the draw for me because it will be easier to carry about and would do the same job as a laptop, just the smaller screen is annoying as I watch a lot of DVD's and stuff on it. Laptop seems like the best option I suppose but I just don't know what to look for! I'm completely useless at this, I know what I want it to do but I don't know what brands or makes would suit me best. My brother has a Dell which I absolutely hate, whereas mine is a older toshiba which I have loved it's just in a bad way at the moment. Thanks if you actually sat and read all this, I ramble on a bit. Please help! :(

Dell Inspiron is the one my brother has and I hate it! The mouse pad is unsenitive and you have to apply a lot of pressure, I dislike the laptop in general.

Well if you are Brand orientated then the 'better makes' will offer mere average performance for £500. I have recently seen Toshiba laptop for £479 with 160GB HDD, 3GB Ram yadda yadda yadda. Dells are dropping to around £400 for 250GB HDD 3 GB Ram etc...

Alternatively, I purchased an acer Aspire which has 1tb HDD, 4GB Ram, Blu-ray, DVD, CD-Rom Drive, HD Screen, HDMI Output and full multimedia settings for a bargain £499 from £579 in a sale (Equivalent top brands cost £750 upwards for these specs) and it runs fantastic just looks a little dated next to modern laptops even though internally it is modern!

I would nip into PC World, Comet and Curry's, ask the staff for there opinions then take a trip to your local Supermarket which offer laptops at a huge discount even though they are identical to the larger stores which specialize in them. (ie my wife's Laptop was £94 cheaper in ASDA than it was in Comet, came with free anti-virus for a year rather than 3 months trial, full Microsoft office package again instead of 3 month trial and she also got a carry bag for £10 instead of £30!) Shop Around!

I'm answering this on an iPad! Yep, you can get a keyboard for it, there is either a dock keyboard, or you could get one that works via Bluetooth (I would reccommend the bluetooth one). You can buy apps for word, excel and PowerPoint (£10 for the app with all of them in) and you can also get the versions made by apple (pages, keynote and numbers) for £6.99 each.

I would reccommend an iPad if you aren't really planning to do that much heavy duty stuff, and I haven't really found the lack of flash to be too much of a problem! I can still use YouTube, and there are apps for iPlayer etc.

If you plan to use any computer programmes that you obviously can't get on an iPad (such as photoshop or SolidWorks) then you clearly need to get a laptop/computer. I have a dell, and seeing as that's what I would recommend within your price range, then I don't know what laptop to reccommend, I think hp is quite good, also toshiba:)

you ain't gonna get much with that kind of a budget restriction... you should just ask for money from everyone for xmas then put it toward your 500... there is no point in wasting the money u have available on a crap laptop which is all your gonna get for that cash so my advice is save up and get a MacBook and if u can make sure to get the top of the line model well worth it!!! When I got my 27" iMac it cost me just under 2000 I could have gotten the 21.5" for 700 less but nothin was wireless half the ram and a small screen so my advice is go all out when it comes to your computer or laptop it will last that much longer and run all the software u will ever need for years to come! you go cheap after 6 months it's obsolete and u'll just end up forking out more cash to upgrade it...

I have a Toshiba satellite and its lasted me over 2 years now and ive dropped it numerous times... same with my friends, most common issues with toshibas are the laptop screens.... the warranty is worth it only if u have a charger issue... like mines in the back and i sit indian style when im on my laptop and it constantly gets bent and what not... warranty covers that but not screens.... so if u think u wont have an issue with a charger dont get the warranty... unless the warranty covers spills and what nots... as for that screen tho... amazon has screens for very cheap... and youtube basically shows u how to change a screen witch toshibas are as simple as anything.... as for another brand... ide say toshibas come in top... and alienware and acers come in next but thats my opinion.... also ide say try for at least 2 gb ram and more then 180 hd.... if your a gamer plan on more...

Source(s): 2 years in a trade school for networking and computer repair.... as well as 1 year of college in computer informations

haha yeah don't get dell, i was going to say apple but as you said it probably isn't happening. Ipads are absolutely AMAZE, i think you should get one of them :)

you can get these leather kinda covers that not only protect your ipad but also have a keyboard connected which is way easier to type big documents on, because although touch keyboards are cool they do get old if you are typing lots. But i don't know if you can have like microsoft word or anything on it, so mightn't be the best for school work.

Have you thought about getting a cheaper refurbised or second hand apple? that is what i would do i think if i couldn't afford a new macbook. :)

hope this helps, xx

my advise dont get an ipad there just big ipods and word wont even be a tad compatable you want to go with a all round powerful yet afordable Dell take a look on there there laptops can do all the work your planning on doing on it and the ability to play games and dvds at HD plus there fairly slim and reliable with there warrenty so it should be nice to carry around :) just stick with windows soo much easier when it comes to school work and other things

Source(s): Experiance :)

A Dell inspiron laptop. I don't know if it would fit your needs properly but while I was renting a laptop while my r510 was getting fixed it served me well. It's not heavy at all and it is the same size as your normal laptop and it's fast too.

Dell Inspiron 15R is a good value for the money, good procesor, good monitor

light for it's dimensions. key are a bit too "plastic, noysee when you type, the case is a bit glossy, but the color is saving you from having a laptop full of fingertips.

in conclusion, I would recomend it. enjoy