HuntsmanII asked in SportsCycling · 8 years ago

Bike Weight Question?

Hi i'm 43 kg (94 lbs) and was wondering how much difference therre would be between a 17 kg (37 lbs) bike and a 20 kg (44 lbs)

Thanks!

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

A difference of 7 lbs is a lot ... and both bikes are on the heavy side.

That said, weight, per se, is not that big an issue. What does matter is where the weight is, the type of material that makes up the weight and what type of riding the bike will be used for. Let me amplify...

No-one pedals absolutely smoothly, there is continual acceleration and deceleration as the cranks turn. Therefore anything that is moved by pedaling (what can be called rotating weight) -- pedals, cranks, gears, chain, wheels, shoes -- needs to be as light as possible. Bikes with light weight wheels (rims,tires, tubes) in particular feel more lively and less work to pedal. This is one reason why road bikes seem so much easier to pedal than mountain bikes.

Non-rotating weight (e.g. seat, frame, handlebars) isn't a big concern when riding along, but does make climbing hills or if performing BMX stunts, etc harder.

What the bike -- particularly the frame and fork -- is made of has a big impact on how the bike feels. Most heavy bikes -- and I'm guessing the two you are referencing -- are made of carbon steel. Since this is quite weak frame tubing has to be relatively thick. This gives a bike not only weight, but a "dead" feel. Materials like CrMo steel, carbon fibre, aluminium and titanium are all much stronger and therefore can be much thinner and lighter. They also have a more "lively" feel.

If you intend to do lot's of hill climbs, or jump and do tricks the weight will be much more of a problem than if you just want to ride on the flats.

Unfortunately, lighter bikes cost more money so the smart cyclist -- keeping the above information in mind -- will choose where to spend the extra money based on the type of cycling they intend to do (and their budget).

Bottom line, no matter what cycling you are planning to do a heavier bike is always less desirable than a lighter one. A difference of 7 lbs (assuming the same size bike) will be quite significant because almost undoubtedly it reflects heavier weight (and therefore inferior) components all round.

I hope that helps.

• 8 years ago

By comparison my bike weights 20 lbs, (9.2 kg). I can tell you that I am glad when I have to bring it up and down stairs. There are other things to consider, not just weight. What kind of tires? What kind of gears? What is the intended use?

• 3 years ago

The UCI weight shrink for expert race motorcycles are 6.8kg, or 14.96lbs. you ought to purchase a bike that weighs under that, yet maximum are closer to 17-19lbs (no rely what the brochure says). you would be greater advantageous off dropping 10lbs out of your butt than spending $800 to drop a single pound off your bike. yet in professional racing, each and every little bit counts. final year interior the excursion de France, George Hincapie got here in twenty 5th place, fifty two seconds in the back of Landis. evaluate that to the final time of the race, and it quite is something like 0.0001% slower. One ten-thousandth of a p.c. = 25 places in a grand excursion, so a 2-3% boost in performance, aerodynamics or potential output is extensive to those adult males.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

I agree with the question as to whether or not those weights

were actually lbs, and not kg.

17 pounds and 20 pounds sounds more legit.

The difference in that case would be measured in dollars more than anything!

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • John
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

The difference is 3 kg or 7 lbs :-)

Difference in terms of what? Speed? Climbing? Utility?

You need to specify.

• 8 years ago

Those are both very heavy bikes. This will depend more on what sort of bike they are. If they are both inexpensive(under $200) mountain bikes they will both be sluggish for any kind of riding on the road. Would be useful to know what make and model they are

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

what kind of bike weights 44 lbs?

that is insanely heavy

you must mean lbs, but that is too light..?

wle

• John M
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

I think you are looking shipping weight not the actual bike weight.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.