:) asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 8 years ago

Is 15 too late to start ballet?

I don't want to be a professional ballerina, just as a hobby. My friend who has done ballet since the age of 3 told me I should do ballet because I'm tall and thin. However some people have told me ballet is very boring. I'm scared I will get bored easily. Also I hate trying to fit in with new groups because people don't usually accept me, so I'm scared I will have no friends again.

How would I convince my mum too? She thinks ballet is 'for little kids' and 'boring'. She thinks I'm too old to do ballet.

• A.L.
    Favorite Answer

You aren't too old! I started ballet when I was 14 (a few months from turning 15) last year. Now I dance four days a week, and I even have a little part in a production of The Nutcracker. Ballet is a lot of fun, and it's also challenging. A lot of people think ballet is boring, others see it as graceful and beautiful. I don't think you'll get bored, because it can be difficult and requires a lot of concentration. There can be tedious parts of class (ex. I really hate frappes at the barre) but there are really fun things to make up for it, like pirouettes, tour jetes, and pique turns.

I was nervous about fitting in with the dancers too. I always had a "dancers are snobby" steyrotype based off a few dancers I knew. I am also very shy and introverted, so I don't talk much. The girls at my dance studio are great though! The first few months they were so helpful, they'd stay with me before or after class to help me with certain steps and they always include me in conversation before class. We are like a family, and I've only known them a year. Even if you don't like the girls, don't stop dancing, just ignore them. There isn't much time to talk in dance class, so you don't need friends in class.

Ballet is for everyone of all ages! There are a ton of teen beginner classes now, you can take class with other teens who are just starting dance. Tell your mom that you are serious about starting ballet, maybe you can take her to see your friend's ballet class so she sees it isn't boring?

I love the links Elizabeth posted, the Esmeralda variation is one of my favorite. Here's a few more videos from anaheim ballet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUrJuSh0evE

Youtube thumbnail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DIiQL8FkyY

Youtube thumbnail

Source(s): Started ballet at 14, now 15. I have a blog to share experiences/advice with teen ballet beginners, if you want to check it out: http://teenballet.blogspot.com/

No, you're never too old when you're starting something that will be a hobby and something fun. You're most likely to be placed in a teen or open class made especially for people who are just starting ballet, people who are not as strong as others in their age group, or people don't wish to commit to a serious class that meets more than once a week. Your body type won't really matter then, but it's good that you're in shape.

Ballet being boring is based on your opinion of 'boring.' Yes, many ballet exercises are slow, but that's because ballet takes loads of control. Also, your teacher may teach some of the movements and combos very slowly. This is only to get the dancers to fully understand the movement and to get them to use the right technique. Ballet can also be very fast and lively. Many exercises are very laborious, and will leave you out of breath sometimes.

Don't worry about fitting in. The other dancers are in the same position as you. They are all there to just have fun and learn something new. The class will give you something to talk with them about, and there's bound to be someone who is shy also, so just strike up a conversation with someone. If nobody wants to talk, then just as well. Focus on your dancing.

For your mother, I think you should let her know you're serious about this. She wouldn't say those things if she knew that you were really interested about ballet. Do some research. Find a dance studio near you that has a teen class, check the prices, and tell your mom. Maybe look up some videos of ballet dancers online for her so she can see that ballet is not boring, and not for little kids.

I hope this helps. It's good that you're trying something new. Good luck!!

Source(s): Dancer since I was 3
  • Megan

Wow, you're just like Billy Elliot! Um, well your strength and stamina are probably both OK, as you've been a boxer for so long, but be prepared to do some very hard work to improve your flexibility. You need to be very bendy to be able to do ballet! You probably wouldn't get put into classes with really little kids- I started ballet again after a gap of 3 years and I was put straight into grade 5 with people my own age, (between 13-15.) I've been going for about a month and a half, and it isn't really that hard! That might be because I had a lot of dance training before, but if you work really hard and practise a lot, you'll only get better and better! I would say definitely go for it! Good luck!

It's totally possible! I started as a teenager too, you should go for it! Many studios offer teen beginner classes you can take. Ballet is a lot of fun and a great exercise. It will totally help you in other forms of dance as well. It is not boring at all, you will experience how "not-boring" it is at your first class. Be in dress code, bring water and make any corrections the teacher gives you. You show your mom a ballet variation (I will include one for you, btw the dancer was 17 at the time) so that she will see it is not boring and for little kids. Also, you will always have the friend that encouraged you. They don't seem very accepting like true friends. You can totally do it! I hope this helps and good luck :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV0jT1Do6NQ

Youtube thumbnail

Here's another vid, again all dancers are probably older than you. Their channel is very good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ0L24YbGGI

Youtube thumbnail

Source(s): I'm a dancer

You're never too old to start ballet! Some people start a 4 others at 40. (:

If you think you may get bored of it, ask the studio where you may be taking classes if you can observe/participate in a class to see how you feel about it.

I don't like trying to fit in with new people either, but who knows, maybe you'll make some new friends. (:

Source(s): Personal Experience

Your can NEVER be to old to start ballet. Especially as a hobby. All the stereotypes that ballet are girly and only for little girls generally aren't true. I think its a great idea for you to start ballet, and as far as your mom goes, just convince her that you really want to do it. Getting bored won't be a problem, as long as you stay concentrated, and you definitely won't get bored if you learn quickly, and quickly progress through different levels. Good luck!

Source(s): Dancer

I just started my second year of ballet without having done any as a kid and I'm 34. Yes it can be repeptitive and "boring" at times, if you aren't paying attention and don't want to be there. Don't worry about fitting in, just smile and be friendly, but you are there to dance so that should be the number 1 priority, not making friends.

No,no, no, and no! You are never to late to start! I just started tap and lyrical and its so fun. Ballet isn't boring, its just slower then other dances. Its a very graceful dance. You should tell your mom that you want to try it out and that you think you would like it. As for the kids, they are all there to do the same thing you are, to dance. No one should be picking on you and if they are ignore it and keep dancing and doing what you love. Hope i helped! :)

Source(s): Dancer :P

No it is not too late :) Tell your mom you think it would be fun for you, and it isn't just for girls who start young. I don't find ballet boring at all, but it can be a lot slower than other dance forms.

Ballet is the center and core of all dance. But if you are thinking of this as a hobby it can't be. Ballet does take a lot of work. It's a good activity though. It really helps me in my dance activity.