Whats the best breed of small dog to get?

Follow
  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
I'm thinking about getting a dog, my mum said it has to be small, I thinking about getting a pomeranian but also want to know other breeds that are nice, please can you say the ...show more
Best AnswerAsker's Choice
i like maltese and west highland terriers :) since i have these :)

i'll give you a small description of both:
maltese-my maltese has LOTS of energy. she loves to play play play. she likes to climb over everything. she is a small dog, she weighs 4 pounds. she is very smart, smartest dog i've ever come in contact with. very loyal dog, will probably attach to you or one person in your house, and love you so much. maltese have very interesting personalities. my maltese talks to me all the time. like i said, she is very smart. sometimes if i tell her no, she'll look at me, and like give a little bark, and go back to what she was doing. haha. however, she is very well behaved, and this dog breed is very easy to train. she is also an excellent watch dog. these dogs have little health problems, and live for a long time. however, something you may want to consider, is you will need to brush her hair daily, because they have thin human kind of hair, and if you don't take care of it, it will knot and she will have to get shaved. (not actually all the hair, but its basically like when a guy gets a buzz cut) and they have tear staining. my dog eats avoderm, and it helps with the tear staining. but, you also have to wipe her face daily with baby wipes, because of tear staining. if you have time to do these things, this dog is a great dog. roughly, these dogs costs like 400-1000. average probably 500-700. it all depends where you live and stuff.

west highland terrier-really sweet dogs. i've had two of these. they are mellow, cuddly dogs. my dog just loves to cuddle and be petted. great lap dog. my westie weighs 15 pounds. can weigh up to 20 though. this is a great chill dog if you just want a pet that will love you and is adorable and likes to cuddle. my westie require little grooming. of course, i have to take her to the groomers for nail clippings, and hair cuts, but i don't even brush her at all, and she gets no tear staining.

both my dogs are very healthy. my maltese does have some skin allergies, but that's it. both are great dogs.

i was considering getting a pomeranian as well. i don't know much, except they have lots of energy, and the grooming is very extensive, if you want them to have the fluffy look. apparently, barking is a problem with them if you don't teach it correctly. i also remember reading they can have a few health problems as well. but you'll have to look more into that. oh & this dog sheds. which is certainly something to consider....

hope this helps
check out dogbreedinfo.com very helpful website, and its what i used when i was looking for a dog.

none of these dogs are going to cost you over a 1000 dollars, if they cost more then that, its a scam. its all going to be anywhere from 400-700ish.

Asker's Rating & Comment

4 out of 5
Thank you. You've really helped me, think I might get a westie now..!! And my mum likes them! X
  • Rate
  • Comment

Other Answers (13)

Rated Highest
  • Rated Highest
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • ChihuahuaAddict Adores Scooby answered 3 years ago
    Here is a complete list with pictures of all small dog breeds.
    http://www.allsmalldogbreeds.com/small-d...
    Study the breed you are interested in, see which breed best fits your lifestyle, study the breed carefully so you know what to expect and choose the one you want. I have owned Short Coat Chihuahuas for over 40 years and I would not trade them for anything. They are very loyal and loving little dogs.
    • 1
    • Comment
  • Jessica answered 3 years ago
    yorkie terrier
    mini dachshund
    boston terrier

Source(s):

me, me & friend
    • 1
    • Comment
  • Miss Holly answered 3 years ago
    Well if your looking for a small friendly dog i would go for either a Field spaniel or a dachshund people often call them sausage dogs they are both freindly sweet and good looking breeds :)
    • 1
    • Comment
  • Jessiekahbubbahlie answered 3 years ago
    Jack Russell or a Chihuahua - like me!

Source(s):

Just my opinion (:
    • 1
    • Comment
  • George answered 3 years ago
    I have a schnoodle (Shnouzer/Poodle) and he's amazing. So cute and fun.

Email me at mescudi21@yahoo.com for pics of him or any other questions.
    • 1
    • Comment
  • timetravler answered 3 years ago
    If you want a dog that is not too yappy and does not need a ton of grooming, then look into a Boston Terrier. Poms are very cute, but tend to be very yappy. Most all other small dogs except Boston Terriers and French Bulldogs are yappy. Also a Jack Russell is a very very active breed and requires a lot of attention and training, so take that into consideration.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Landie answered 3 years ago
    a west highland terrier. (westie) anywhere from 400-1000 depending on parents
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Ncis fan answered 3 years ago
    pomeranians are great i have one named coco and she has been there like a friend
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • mgrace answered 3 years ago
    well, for one it depends on if its gonna be an inside or outside dog. and the price you are able to pay. i have a red min pin. she is one of the best dogs ive ever owned. i know of some that stay inside, but mine stays outside all year round. poms are cute, but extrmely yappy dogs. you have to be ready for that. min. dashhounds are great indoor pets as well, but anotherr very loud dog. i hhad jack russels. they are extremely smart. if your lookin for an outside dog they are great. they would be ok inside but they shed and they need alot of exercise. all of these dogs in the us are between 100 to 300 dollars. if you can afford more, and you are wanting an inside dog, i would definately get a yorkie. they are the only lil dog that i have found that doesnt make the house stink. and they dont shed like other small breeds. they are smart and cute, but cost usually between 400 and 600 dollars.

good luck, hope this helped a little

Source(s):

very experienced with dogs and other animals
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Sign In 

to add your answer

• Adriana answered 3 years ago
    Miniature/TeaCup Pomeranians, Yorkshire Terriers, Chihuahuas, etc. . are scams and should never be bought -- they are VERY sickly puppies.
    It depends on things other than size. Pomeranians require a TON of grooming, do you have time for that? And they're quite active. Maybe you can just get a mutt from the shelter or http://www.petfinder.com/
    I can think of a lot of small dog breeds but you provided hardly information other than size.
    ADD: Yorkshire Terriers and Pomeranians are NOT $100-300. They are WAY more costly. Try almost or at LEAST a thousand.
    • 1
    • Comment
  • Kathryn answered 3 years ago
    mini Dachshund
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Katie answered 3 years ago
    Miniture Yorkshiere Terriers
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=501&q=Miniture+Yorkshiere+Terriers&gbv=2&oq=Miniture+Yorkshiere+Terriers&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=1664l10602l0l10770l28l21l0l9l0l0l274l1530l5.5.2l12l0#hl=en&gbv=2&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=K6GRTrnzFomj8QPp7bQd&ved=0CDsQvwUoAQ&q=Miniature+Yorkshire+Terriers&spell=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=d1d76474416d2e95&biw=1366&bih=501

^thats for pictures on google images
    They go to bed themselves
    And they are no trouble

Source(s):

I have one and shes like a sister too me ;')
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • monkey answered 3 years ago
    Hands down Jack Russell. There is really no other choice!
    • Rate
    • Comment

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Member since:
    Points: Points: Level
    Total answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block

Unblock