Matt asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 9 years ago

How can I change the resolution of a Powerpoint Presentation after its been made?

On my MacBook Pro, I have Microsoft Office 2011. Recently, I made a Powerpoint and I feel I did a really good job. But when I play it, I'm only on standard resolution as I had forgot to set when I started. Now I regret changing it to widescreen as it would look a lot better. Is there a way I can change the resolution without starting again?

On my MacBook Pro, I have Microsoft Office 2011. Recently, I made a Powerpoint and I feel I did a really good job. But when I play it, I'm only on 4:3 slide size as I had forgot to set when I started. Now I regret changing it to widescreen (16:9) as it would look a lot better. Is there a way I can change the slide sizes without starting again?

Here you go this should help:

1) Make sure you are on the “Slide Show” tab of the ribbon

2) Look for the “Monitors” group (Only on some pc's if not their just skip to step 3)

3) Select your preferred resolution from the “Resolution” drop down box

To put it simply, the lower the resolution, the higher the performance of your presentation will be, but at a cost of lower fidelity. On the flip side if you want to turn up the visual quality of the presentation, and don’t mind a little performance hit, crank up the resolution to as high as your computer (or more importantly your projector) can handle. Experience

Source(s): Own Experience
  • There is no way to automatically make that change. No matter what you do, all images and graphics will stretch. Text will stay the same. One trick is to see how high (inches) the 4:3 is, then use that as your height and do the math to figure out the 16:9 from there. At least everything should stay in it's proper position relative to the height of the slide.

If the background(s) is a photo, you will need to go back to the original and recrop or recreate. I'm a PC user, but I'm sure these settings are somewhere on your Mac. Igo to each picture, right click on it, go to format picture --> picture size. You'll see that it is stretched, maybe 87% high by 132% wide. Unclick constrain proportions (or maybe it's lock? Sorry, I'm on an iPad so this is from memory) and set the width to the same percent as the height - in this case 87%.

You have to do that for every image individually.

All that being said, there could be an add-on that would do the work for you. A quick Google search revealed nothing, but a little more time might turn something up.

Change Powerpoint Resolution

Yes you can make resolution changes to the presentation after it's finished. Just open the presentation and make your change.

Question: did you make your resolution change inside powerpoint or did you do it on the desktop resolution? Only you can answer this question.

--If you made it inside powerpoint, then look for the resolution group setting in your powerpoint version. On the PC version, you get there by clicking the Slideshow tab, and then the monitor group is on the right with a resolution tab that you click. I don't have a mac version so I don't know what it looks like. But hopefully it's similar

--If you made your resolution changes on the desktop, and not powerpoint, then just right click on your desktop and change your resolution there.

Either way, the bottom line is, you do not have to start your presentation over just to make a resolution change.

Hi In PowerPoint 2008 use File > Make Movie. All Done. -Jim