Steve Jobs said 'Don't be trapped by dogma'. Religions are 100% dogma aren't they?

Why not free yourself from it?

Favorite Answer

@einnA: "STEVE JOBS WAS A BUDDHIST, NOT AN ATHEIST."

Actually, I'm pretty sure he was both.

1) Steve Jobs said, "Don't be trapped by dogma".

2) Religions are 100% dogma.

3) We should free ourselves of it.

Your avatar seems to suggest you understand logic. I see no evidence of that.

A) Steve Jobs is a person. I see no evidence his opinion is proof of anything, and his expertise is not even an issue, let alone in question. There is no evidence of expertise in this area.

B) Religions are made of many things, not even remotely related to dogma.

"Dogma is the established belief or doctrine held by a religion, or by extension by some other group or organization. It is authoritative and not to be disputed, doubted, or diverged from, by the practitioners or believers."

Christianity and many other religions have questioned almost every aspect of their own religion, almost "religiously", throughout the centuries. It is clear you are ignorant of much of this, but that is easily fixed. I recommend educating yourself about the nature of religion before you feel arrogant enough to ask others to "free themselves of it".

C) Your conclusion is illogical because it follows from a false claim of authority, a false premise, and it doesn't follow the premises.

Don't they teach logic in school these days?

It's a wonderful course. I recommend taking a class or two before making an avatar based on it.

Your choice, of course.

• obear

Atheists jointly with Richard Dawkins and Sam Harris have argued that Western religions' reliance on divine authority lends itself to authoritarianism and dogmatism.This argument, blended with historic activities that are argued as an instance the hazards of religion, such using fact the Crusades, inquisitions, and witch trials, are in many cases used via antireligious atheists to justify their perspectives; whether, theists have made very comparable arguments against atheists based on the state atheism of communist states. In the two cases, critics argue that the relationship is a susceptible one based on the correlation implies causation and guilt via association fallacies. Dogma.

There is room for free thinking in religion and there are many secular dogmas we, americans, are indoctrinated with from our youth onward.

Words of wisdom from the some person whose reaction to a problem with the iPhone was "Don't hold it that way".

Jobs was a smart salesman, and came up with some neat technology, but I would have a difficult time seeing him as a great philosopher.

Religion is not 100% dogma. It is a living relationship with a real God.

Something that Jobs seems to have been seeking most of his life. I mean, you are aware that he was a very religious person, right?

• No.

Steve Jobs said a lot of things. Why not "think different"?

Source(s): Atheist.

It is only 100% dogma to those who do not understand it.

Perhaps I feel it is the "dogma" that frees me. That dogma means I'm not like you.

I might not be very impressed by his computers but if he said that then in this situation I agree completely.

100% CULT dogma, primarily for money.

"yeah but I KNOW God is real. Mom said so" ....I'm sure you do.

Source(s): -atheist ex xian
  • So if Steve Jobs said 'stick your head down the toilet', I take it you would obey rather than think up and follow some of your own thoughts.