In calling Jehovah's Witnesses a cult or brainwashed?

are you not saying they are mentally deseased?

These two words, "cult" and "brainwashed" are warning words to stay away from a certain group of people. They words are meant to be derogatory and belittling.

So, when you call JW''s a brainwashing cult who cannot think on their own, are you really saying they are mentally diseased?

28 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best answer

This is what the JW's say about leaving their religion, isn't it? It is completely wrong and ridiculous to call someone that leaves a religion mentally diseased. And, I find it abhorrent that the WT also tells their members that the apostate has turned their back on God. Usually, the person has found out the lies and false prophecies of the WT and wants to worship God in a more true way to the bible. The mentally diseased label is given so that current members do not find out the truth about the WT society.

The WT society always uses strong language infused with propaganda. The stories that are in the WT are meant to be scare tactics to keep people in. These people are told that if they are not associated with the JW's, they will die at Armageddon. They are constantly thinking everyone else is out to get them and that Satan is behind everyone that has something negative to say about the WT. And, these claims that the WT makes are a huge stretch from the bible verses. As an educated, bible friendly person, I am amazed at what the WT can get someone to believe.

There is mental illness linked to the JW's. JW's have 5 times the suicide rate of those that are not JW's. They also have 4 times the rate of paranoid schizophrenia. Psychosis is forty times the normal rates in JW's.

The main problems are depression, feeling of helplessness, worry, doubt, and conflicts in the congregation. The elders try to enforce extremely rigid, ridiculous rules. If they are not followed it causes people to feel depressed and to say, "I'm a bad person! I'm terrible!" And naturally they feel guilt, worry and doubt.

Of course, Witnesses try to paint a picture to outsiders that they are happy people to give a good impression of the Organization. Psychiatrists, psychologists, researchers and other sources have much to say about the emotional problems of the Jehovah's Witnesses. Hundreds of Jehovah's Witnesses were contacted including a number of high-ranking officials in the Watchtower. The leadership typically responds, "But we do not know what to do!" Then they reject solutions. While the Witnesses lack happiness, they are obligated to pretend as if they have it.

How do they go around believing, 'We have the truth. God is with us. He is using us. And yet we are miserable'?" Some of the Witnesses conclusions sound rational even though they are false. First, they believe those inside the Watchtower Society are God's people. Everybody outside the Watchtower Society is of Satan. Satan would try to do everything he can to be nice to those outside of the Watchtower because he has all of them. They consider those inside the Watchtower to be Satan's failures. Therefore, Satan would try to make everyone inside the Watchtower Society miserable. The Witnesses reason that their general unhappiness, thinking the people on the outside are possibly happier, proves they are God's people. If you reason through the problem with them in this way, they would probably say, "No, not quite." But in conversation you can see they really believe it.

They teach the opposite. They teach the only ones who are truly happy are those within the organization. They say those outside are miserable because they are not in God's Organization. The contradiction is somewhat upsetting to the Witnesses.

Many Jehovah's Witnesses are aware of the serene contentment of godly Christians. This can cause them some paranoia. Psychiatrically, the most common mental illness among Jehovah's Witnesses is known as paranoia schizophrenia. One can understand how they would become paranoid. They see people outside of the Organization who seem to be happy while the Witnesses are not happy and they know they aren't. When a Christian talks to them about their error, it often makes sense. How would you expect the Witnesses to react? Frightened! It is frightening to people to feel they are wrong.

Another contributing factor leading to mental illness is that eventually the Jehovah's Witnesses become afraid to talk to each other. People are reported to the elders all the time. My sin, or my contemplated sin, may become a subject of gossip in the congregation. This commonly happens. The first, second or third person I confide in may not expose me, but it will happen. When a Witness confides in another, that person might listen and seem to try to understand or he may condemn the individual. Then the problem shared in confidence becomes the subject of congregational gossip. What happens next? You would not confide in another Witness again! Then what happens? Again, isolation!

All of this leads to Jw's condemning others, exagerrating world events, having a negative look on life, irrational fears, isolation, alienation, suspicion among the congregation, reporting others in the congregation, all leading to mental illness.

• grnlow
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

That puts a crimp in England doesn't it?

Well at least we are not two-faced. When we claim to value the Bible and what it contains, we actually mean it. That is called doing as you say your doing. Which is a foreign concept in today's world.

It is also shocking to see how many people have no clue what a cult really is. Having a human leader. At least two separate groups with one clearly more powerful, elect, above others. Mysterious ceremonies, rights, services, with secret handshakes as signals. Wearing funny hats and colorful robes and dress. Secrecy, secrecy, secrecy!

The thing is, we do not have any of that. Those that label us a cult never bother to figure any of this out. It is the only thing they know they can say. That is quite sad.

Then there is brainwashing. Do you know what the basis for brainwashing is? It works best when the victim comes to regard one person as "their everything." Their word is gospel. Best when the victim is not used to working out answers for themselves. In religions with a clergy, this is already built in. Meaning the brainwashing team has their job mostly done for them. In countries where this is done, it is actually more difficult with Jehovah's Witnesses. Each of us finds Bible truths for themselves. We help them in their study, but each person finds out themselves exactly what the Bible teaches. It is then much harder to change mind patterns once they are personally engraved by the owner.

For those knowing this in advance, it is a source of laughter for people mindlessly claiming we are a cult and brainwashed.

• 8 years ago

Peace.

Yes, it has been said that JW's seem to have a higher percentage of faithfuls who have some form of psychosis. Is this true? Data points otherwise. The distribution of persons considered to have a mental condition is without boundaries, i.e., there does not exist a group without incidence of mental illnesses.

Yet, in Christendom, the medical fraternity encourages persons with clinical depression to associate with a "church", as social networking is beneficial. This clearly shows that some attend

religious services for the wrong reasons.

Of all religious groups, those who really search the Scriptures, and understand, associate with

ChristIan Witnesses of YHWH/ JEHOVAH.

Scriptures show that the ENTIRE world is being deceived as at Revelation 12:9; 13:4, 8; 1 John 5:19,. It stands to reason therefore, that the group that actually seek to worship God Almighty in

spirit and truth as at John 4:23, 24, would NOT BE PERCEIVED so to do by the MAJORITY of

persons on earth.

So, yes, JWs are perceived generally in a negative light, but, this does not agree with reality i.e.,

the perception is incorrect.

• 8 years ago

Before making such statements as below as fact, there has to be a source listed for this type of statement. I saw none.

That immediately gives me two possible indications -

1) There is no source - what is being repeated is gossip or personal opinion.

2) This is a lie and cannot be supported.

There is mental illness linked to the JW's. JW's have 5 times the suicide rate of those that are not JW's. They also have 4 times the rate of paranoid schizophrenia. Psychosis is forty times the normal rates in JW's.

SOURCE PLEASE???

EDIT EDIT EDIT

I had an individual to send me two so called unbiased reports to "verify" the above statement.

FIRST - the information or the studies are EXTREMELY DATED. They were from the 1940's (and before) and contained such statements as "fully one half of Jehovah's Witnesses were raised on farms". ????? Perhaps in pre 1946, but of course, that was probably a true statement for the USA as a whole in the same time frame. I'm sure UP TO DATE statistics would not find that to be the case today for any part of the USA other than the CORN BELT of the MID WEST.

SECOND - all the studies were conducted in prisons and mental hospitals. Were not these individuals who conducted the studies able to go to public congregations and ask the same questions?

THIRD - to rely on OUT DATED studies as if they are valid would be similar to using studies of RACISM and CIVIL RIGHTS during the 1940's and presenting that as the situation of today. Would anyone consider that action to be an unbiased answer in today's world? Or would pulling something from another era and presenting it as having validity for today be looked upon as predjudiced and unrealistic?

Any scientific study should be rounded out to include all ages, parts of the country, or even other countries, all educational levels, different genders and occupations/professions.

These studies presented concentrated on imprisoned males who objected to serving in the military. And all were in the same age category. And as mentioned - OVER SIX DECADES AGO.

And one researcher was able to see the "calm and stability" that the Witness beliefs brought to his subjects' lives. INTERESTING!!

Source(s): One of Jehovah's Witnesses
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 8 years ago

People are going to think whatever they want. Some people are blinded by satan or maybe some are misinformed about us. We aren't a cult or brainwashed. In fact, we are un brain washed if you think about it. In this current system, there's many that are brain washed into thinking what's attractive, popular, etc. We stand out because we aren't doing what other people are doing. We live by God's inspired word of the bible and not a lot of people live by the bible.

• 8 years ago

I would say they are a cult. Their leaders try to make them think they are better than other religions and they are constantly being bombarded with the promise that doomsday is just right around the corner.They are being taught that Jesus is not God. It is a direct contradiction to what the Bible says. They get away with it because they have changed the words in the Bible to mean things that it did not intend. They also rely heavily on their publication instead of reading from the Bible directly. They live in fear of being cast out of the organization of the Watchtower Society if they do anything to cause the Elders to reprimand them. They are so screwed up it isn't even funny. Lil Miss Sunshine is 100% correct.

(("People that go around trampling on others beliefs, and calling them retarded are no better than inbred bigots. Jehovah's Witnesses are great people, and if you are open minded enough to actually talk to them you will find a lot of them are very intelligent")) The problem that the person who made this statement does not realize is that JWs condemn people of all other faiths as being on the wrong path. They have gone beyond trampling on other people's beliefs. They out and out lie about other religions.

• Liz
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Have you ever heard someone name called?

There have been many questions on YA lately with "name calling"

I say bring it on, the more the better. Personally, my whole life I have

been bullied by people name calling and I have heard "gossip" about

others.

I have learned that you NEVER judge someone from gossip. You go in knowing or something someone said and learn for yourself if it is true or not based on your own observations

and data.

I LOVE it when people "think" or are told I am stupid and easily led, it makes me

giggle when I hear "you are nothing like what I was told, or what they said"

Bring it on. People talk to me and find out I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses

and they are shocked because of the wrong things they were told.

• 8 years ago

As you can see it seems perfectly acceptable to say Jehovahs Witnesses suffer from a mental condition but the same so called Christians that label us so cry foul when Jehovah's Witnesses print a scripture about apostates being metaphorically "mentally diseased" ...

I have been called everything from a liar to a manipulating brainwased uneducated, demonized, cult member ... fortunately those same individuals would no doubt call Jesus a demonized drunkard, so I am in good company.

:o)

• 6 years ago

Some say that Jehovah's Witnesses are a cult. But Jehovah's Witnesses are NOT a cult and anyone who has actually done any kind of research concerning Jehovah's Witnesses knows this. People who oppose Jehovah's Witnesses like to use the word 'cult' because this word has a general negative connotation. They are counting on people who are not familiar with Jehovah's Witnesses to simply accept this false label and then ignorantly repeat what they have been told.

The following shows how this label is completely untrue:

Cults are regarded as being small, local groups. In contrast, Jehovah's Witnesses currently number over 7,ooo,ooo and can be found in almost every country of the world.

http://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/

The World Headquarters of Jehovah's Witnesses is in New York. Located there is the Governing Body, a central group of experienced elders who oversee the worldwide congregation.

Jehovah's Witnesses - Their Worldwide Organization and Work

http://www.jw.org/en/publications/books/good-news-...

--------------------------------------.…

Cults are also regarded as encouraging their adherents to live in groups apart from the rest of society. Many also think of cults as being secretive about their activities or having something to hide.

In contrast, Jehovah's Witnesses live and work in the midst of other people. They have nothing to hide. In fact, they desire to tell anyone who is willing to listen about everything that they believe.

Their book Jehovah's Witnesses—Proclaimers of God's Kingdom correctly notes: "Jehovah's Witnesses are in no sense a secret society. Their Bible-based beliefs are fully explained in publications that are available to anyone. Additionally, they put forth special effort to invite the public to attend meetings to see and hear for themselves what takes place."

Cult members are also associated with following living human leaders.

Yet Jehovah's Witnesses do not look to any human, but rather to Jesus Christ, as their leader. Jehovah’s Witnesses follow what Jesus taught and put it into practice:

See: "Who is Jesus Christ?"

http://www.jw.org/en/publications/books/good-news-...

That is what it means to be a Christian. Accordingly, Jehovah’s Witnesses strive to adhere strictly to the precepts established by the first Christians.

Jehovah's Witnesses base all of their beliefs, their standards for conduct, and organizational procedures on the Bible. Their worship is a way of life, not a ritual devotion.

Rather than relying solely on hearsay and running the risk of parroting bad information, Jehovah's Witnesses encourage people to investigate this further FOR THEMSELVES. This way, one will be in a position to be properly informed as to the true faith and beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses.

The best way to find out more about Jehovah's Witnesses via the Internet is through the pages of their official website:

Jehovah’s Witnesses—What Do They Believe?

http://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/g20100...

Recommended Related Articles:

Are Jehovah’s Witnesses a Cult?

http://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/faq/are-je...

Are Jehovah's Witnesses Really a Cult? - Showing How This Label is Incorrect

http://defendingjehovahswitnesses.blogspot.com/201...

• 8 years ago

you know i rather be brain washed and have faith in Jehovah belief in a coming paradise earth, believe in my head that a God is pleased with me. wake up every morning feeling like i have a purpose then wake up miserable and come on y/a and wreck peoples good day by making them read such ignorant statements as they are a cult and there brain washed, why do you even care?

you post it because you hate us just like the bible said you would its ok tho i dont have to make people who like there ears tickled happy.

next time someone comes in your house to do work, or delivers your food to your table or has the paddles in there hands frantically trying to resesatate you, and you dont know who we really are inside just remember we are from a Cult! Cuz we are every where, in all different types of field of work. with my last job i may have been in your home staring you in the face with a smile. and you on saturday morning may be thinking ill never talk to a JW's guess what you may have talked to me.

But i dont hate, peace and love to all

Source(s): Im proud of being one of Jehovah's Witnesses!!!
  • 8 years ago

i will not go as far as to say than they are stupid , but anyone who follows a religion which forbids them of having a blood transplant which could save their lives its just not working on their best interest .. i think than sadly there is many people which are born under the wrong circumstances and in the case of the JW there is many which are born considered JW from birth , so i do not fully blame them for being what they are , and can only wish than some day soon they will start looking at how illogical their beliefs are , same goes for people from other religions .

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.