If Mayweather took the fight with Pacquiao but lost, would u respect him more and less respect him?

That idea how Mayweather cannot be beaten will be thrown down the toilet. Would you respect him even if he lost just for taking the fight or you would lose respect for him for losing his undefeated recorded and maybe blame him for having those long layoffs that could have contributed to his decline?

• Sean G

I am going to echo Matt and say that I already respect Floyd Mayweather jr a lot. He's 42-0...18-0 vs past and present champions...7 time champion in 5 weight classes...2 time Fighter of the year...the best technician, the best defensive boxer, the most accurate puncher of our generation....he trains hard and is always in shape...

After beating Corrales, Castillo, Gatti, Hatton, De La Hoya, Judah, Mosley, Marquez, Ortiz...I dont think he needs Pacquiao to prove his legacy. Although, a win over Pacquiao would be a nice feather in his cap. People who feel Floyd needs Pacquiao to cement his legacy after all he has already done in this sport (in my opinion) are biased and have been looking for someone (anyone) to beat Floyd for a while. They are looking at Pacquiao as the great hope. If Floyd win, the idea of Pacquiao (now improve from his early career KO losses and the Morales loss) being unbeatable will be down the drain. Excuses will be in abundance if Floyd wins. I almost feel either way Floyd loses. Excuses, accusations, and the discredit of Larry Merchant and those like him will never allow Floyd the glory he deserves...if he loses, his 42 previous victories will be held up as all manucatured accomplishment. So anyone who doesn't respect Floyd as a boxer today...never will (let's be real).

Any fighter can be beaten on any given day ,but if you all realize it or not ,the way the critics here attack Mayweather makes his fans like him more ,and the same deal when critics here attack Pacquiao kind of like when you try to take a bone out of a dogs mouth the dog will clinch down harder to keep you from taking it ,same effect.

It would take some luster from Mayweather since everyone has finally seen what they wanted to see ,and that is Maywether getting beat ,but at the same time Mayweather could win back a lot of fans that he had lost for finally stepping up to fight Pacquiao rather Mayweather is scared or not.

• Matt

Hi Killa.

Well, I do respect Mayweather already, because he is a very technically sound fighter who is well trained, and one of the best defensive fighters of all time. But, taking the fight with Manny Pacquiao, and losing, will make me respect him more, because he was willing to take on the best fighter in the world.

It depends on how he lost because every fighter will eventually be beaten, but whats more important is how you bounce back or the manor in which you were defeated. If Floyd shows up focused and prepared and just happens to lose to a better fighter then I wouldn't think any less of him, the greatest fighter of all-time lost.

However, if he shows up unprepared or anything less of what I've seen in the past then maybe I would lose a little respect. Maybe a situation where he quit or kept looking for a way out of the fight would tarnish his legacy in my opinion.

• Jeremy

I think it would depend on how he lost. If he goes out there and gets hammered and KO'ed in the first round I will have to rethink my opinion on Mayweather and say Hey, maybe this guy really is overrated and picks and chooses his oponents. If he puts on a hard fought fight and loses by decision or even a KO but a late KO, just a lose where I can say hey he fought his heart out, he just ran into a better boxer than no i will not lose respect.

Floyd's record doesn't mean nothing, in my opinion he's been ducking every good welterweight out there for the last couple of years, not just Pacquiao. In my opinion, he lost his first fight with Jose Luis Castillo and his fight agains De La Hoya as well. No matter what Floyd does, especially after the Ortiz Fight, that will give him any sort of respect. He's good but not the greatest.

Personally, I'd respect him more for stepping up to the challenge.For a guy who states he's the best fighter that ever put on boxing gloves, then he should face Pacquiao. I personally also think he'd win the fight.

• Martin

interesting question. well, pacquiao fans often say manny is one of the greatest of all time, so if manny beats floyd, then floyd lost to one of the best, i suppose. frankly, both fighters are somewhat past their primes. manny has been in lots of wars, floyd has been way too inactive. both take their toll. also, not sure what you mean about "the idea that mayweather cannot be beaten".. that's not true of any fighter, and some say floyd's fight with castillo could have gone either way.

I would be disappointed if he took the fight win or lose. It woud mean that he was not serious about his testing demands. If Manny wants to ever see big PPV numbers again he needs Mayweather so take the damn test already!!! NO test NO fight!!!

• Cali d

Mayweather can't be beaten. Just live with it, only father time can beat Mayweather.

Pac has been avoided bigger fighters his whole career. He waited for them to be on a decline, THEN, he fought them at a catch weight, STILL.

Pac has been avoiding Floyd for years, and Mosely and it's been documented by Roach interviews. They wanted no part of them in plenty of interviews over the years.

Refusing drug tests for over 2 years is complete BS. You can lie to yourself and pretend that there is nothing wrong with refusing drug tests.

Pac requested a smaller ring, smaller gloves and a RIDICULOUS 10 million dollars per lbs over the weigh in penalty. I mean, Pac isn't scared asking for a RIDICULOUS $10 millon over the weigh in per pound? That shows he is scared. I'm a fighter and let me tell you, he's afraid of fighting Floyd if he asks for that. Think about it.

Source(s): x boxer