Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootballEnglish Football · 9 years ago

Some Spurs fans think we have 4th spot wrapped up - but I'm not so sure if we have?

its not as easy as that - and I don't think for a minute that we're going to comfortably secure 4th place in the League, because we haven't seen how this squad of players will perform during the business end of the season when injuries and suspensions take their toll not to mention the physical and mental fatigue on regular starters (Bale, Modric, Van Der Vart, Defoe).

On top of all of that we need Liverpool to be as good as they were last season and the one before it and on paper their squad has drasticaly improved since then.

I would have prefered to have seen us beat a strong XI man Liverpool at White Hart Lane because that would have given us a much clearer picture as to how good we are against the big teams at home, we were woeful against Manchester United at Old Trafford though I have to say and that was without star man Modric - who I hate to say it, probably won't be with us next season.

Harry Redknapp needs to make sure that a 4th spot in the League is the most important objective at this club this season - it takes precedence over any cup right now. Liverpool are a good side and play great football and have Dalglish back there and they do look light years better than last season - which is why I think 4th spot is going to be a battle.

I just feel we need to sign a world class goalkeeper and then we'd be ready to challenge for the premier league title. We've brought in a world class striker in Adebayor who has already settled down nicely alongside Defoe but its a gk we need.

I don't think for a second it's going to be easy, are you talking about Spurs fans on here or somewhere else? Because I haven't seen anyone saying we have it wrapped up.

First thing, Liverpool had one of their best teams out against us and regardless of what anyone says we were ripping them apart when they had 11, just like Harry said he was annoyed when they went down to 10 because sometimes it changes the game in favour of the other team. I have no doubt in my mind that we would have won that game by a similar score-line if we had played against 11 for the full 90 minutes.

I honestly don't think Liverpool look much more convincing than last year, I know I'll get a lot of TD's for this but which of their Summer signings has really stood out? None. I think our Summer signings have been far more successful, Parker seems to have formed a nice partnership with Modric and does what Sandro does with a bit more creativity, Adebayor gives us what we lacked, goals and Friedel is an experienced keeper who controls the defence and doesn't make mistakes like that clown Gomes.

And about Modric, yes he's by far and away our best player but I still don't think he's as important to us as some people make out. During the 09-10 season he was out for quite a while and during that period we had a higher win percentage than we did with Modric in the team. I'm not saying we're better without him because we're not, far from it, but we can cope without him, especially now with VdV who could drop into the central midfield role as he has done for Netherlands.

But, we shouldn't even need to go into Modric, I'll bet my house he wont leave next year, can you really see Levy putting up the fight he did to keep him only to let him go the following year? If we make it into the CL I don't think we'll hear a peep out of Modric about leaving.

I agree with you on the cups though, I don't care about any of them unless we get to later stages (semi's in the FA Cup, Knockout stages in the Europa) - We should use these as a chance for us to give experience to our younger players and give our fringe players game time.

And about challenging for the title, I wouldn't say a keeper is what we need most at the moment. I still feel we can't rely on Ledley King to play week in week out and so we need a solid CB, I don't know who though, all the viable options are pretty overrated in my opinion (Cahill, Samba etc...)

I also feel in January we need to sell Pav and bring in a replacement, he's been shocking all season, someone like Huntelaar who's scoring for fun in the Bundesliga is an option as Schalke wont make the CL this year.

Even if we did get a proven CB + goalscorer in Jan I still think we lack something to win the title, on paper our team could do it but realistically they couldn't.

And I realise I've completely not mentioned Arsenal, I still see them as huge threat for 4th, if we beat them on Sunday comfortably then it might change it a bit, but still, you never know, Wenger might make some good signings in January and turn the whole thing on it's head. But maybe by then they'll be too far behind for it to make a difference anyway, who knows.

This is the longest answer I've written in ages, cba to check for spelling mistakes haha.

• Fiery

I think this season is particularly interesting. There are 6 or 7 teams which have a realistic chance of riding good form to an EPL title this year. What you can say about Man City is that they make things real interesting this year.

Your 4-0 destruction of us says something, but I think your right when you say that it isn't a totally fair assessment and on another day Liverpool and Tottenham would match up much more evenly.

Truth is, much of your season relies on Adebayor (Just like Redknapp said in a recent interview), Modric and Bales shoulders but they also have plenty of good players around them. Not the best squad depth but a very solid starting 11.

Also Redknapp said he would let go of Gomes at the winter break if the price was right, He is a good goalkeeper regardless of criticism but maybe that will open it up for you guys to bring in a new goalkeeper.

I say you Spur fans should be very optimistic going into this year so far.

I am optimistic as a Liverpool fan too. Arsenal replaced our form from last year it seems...

...the key is two things that nobody has yet mentioned.

We need to take results off of the lesser teams, because over many years we have slipped up against smaller teams, throwing points away. So far we have beaten Wolves and Wigan away, which is promising.

Also, we need Ledley King to remain as fit as possible.

It's no coincidence that since he has been in the team this season, we have improved.

Adebayor and Defoe are vying together, as they are trying to outdo each other up front, that is competitive and good for the club.

We still have players such as Lennon, Huddlestone, Gallas and Kranjcar in the wings, so logically we have every chance of Top 4..........

Source(s): Spurs' fan, 50+ years.

I think Spurs have a very good chance of finishing 4th this season ,more so than Arsenal and at present Liverpool look a bit iffy .....

• MELONS

There is every chance they will improve, the performance's are getting there, they have great potential as I can see now the teams are really fighting to stay up, hopefully spurs can get a run of wins from a neutral football fan!

ha ha i have not met any of those fans, as long as we dont lose our best players to long term injuries i think we have a good shot at 4th but there is a very long way to go. beating arsenal next sunday will put a big dent in their hopes.

Nobody has 4th place wrapped. Like someone said, there are many teams with a chance of getting 4th.

it's hard to tell. but i think Arsenal are out of the top 4. but u never know. i think it's between Liverpool n Spurs

• ?

OF COURSE you have it locked up. Everybody knows that only the first month of the season actually counts, and the remaining seven months are meaningless.

Yes you have 4th wrapped up. You outclassed us by far Spurs just need to keep up this good form when they take on Arsenal next week, I reckon they can do it