Brazil nuts are radioactive ... can you believe that?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Bonzo
    Lv 6
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You serious???

Ablestock.com/AbleStock.com/Getty Images

A List of The Most Radioactive Foods

Many people associate radiation with medical procedures such as x-rays, CT scans and radiation therapy. They may not be aware that naturally occurring radiation does not come from a medical procedure but from chemicals inside your body. The human body is made up of many different radioactive materials and many everyday foods contain radioactive materials. The radioactive materials found in most food sources are the isotopes of radon-226 and potassium-40.

Brazil Nuts

According to Idaho State University, Brazil nuts are the food source with the greatest amount of radioactivity. The radioactive concentration in Brazil nuts is 1,000 to 7,000 pCi/kg of radon-226 and 5,600pCi/kg of potassium-40. The unit pCi refers to a unit of radiation known as the picocurie. A picocurie is one trillionth of one curie, which is approximately the level of everyday background radiation and should not be cause for concern. However, radon-226 and potassium-40 are radioactive isotopes that are present in high concentrations in Brazil nuts and many other foods.

Lose 6 kgs in 4 weeks? Cut 6 kgs off your belly a month by using this 1 weird old tip. www.CollagenRenew.net/Diet

Sponsored Links

Lima Beans

Radon-226 and potassium-40 are also present in significant concentrations in lima beans. The radioactive concentration in lima beans is 2 to 5 pCi/kg of radon-226 and 4,640 pCi/kg of potassium-40. The consumption of lima beans can lead to many medicinal benefits. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, lima beans are also a very rich source of iron which can can benefit individuals on an iron-rich diet for treatment of iron deficiency anemia.

Bananas

Bananas are another food source of naturally occurring radioactive material. The radioactive concentration in bananas is 1 pCi/kg of radon-226 and 3,520 pCi/kg of potassium-40. The consumption of bananas also provide beneficial medical properties. According to BBCNews, the consumption of potassium rich foods such as bananas is effective in the regulation of blood pressure. Bananas contain chemicals that inhibit the angiotensin converting enzyme, which acts to constrict blood vessels and raise blood pressure.

Potatoes

White potatoes also contain a significant concentration of naturally occurring radioactive materials. The radioactive concentration in white potatoes is 1 to 2.5 pCi/kg of radon-226 and 3,400 pCi/kg of potassium-40. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, potatoes are very rich source of many essential vitamins and minerals such as vitamin C, folic acid, flavonoids and kukoamines. Kukoamines are a chemical found in white potatoes that have blood pressure lowering effects in the human body.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/303878-a-list-of...

• 9 years ago

Our world is radioactive and has been since it was created. Over 60 radionuclides (radioactive elements) can be found in nature, and they can be placed in three general categories:

1. Primordial - from before the creation of the Earth

2. Cosmogenic - formed as a result of cosmic ray interactions

3. Human produced - enhanced or formed due to human actions (minor amounts compared to natural)

Geiger Counter Radioactivity : Because of the extensive root system of the Brazil nut tree, the roots soak up the naturally occurring radium on the soil. Small amounts of this radium are deposited into the meat of the nut. Although the amounts are small, the nut still contains 1000 times more radium than other foods do.

• brauer
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Brazil Nuts Radiation

• 4 years ago

Brazil nuts are a rich source of the antioxidant and trace nutrient selenium. As you probably know, NZ soils are poor in selenium. I'd have thought you'd need to eat a lot more than 2 a day to be poisoned. 2 contains the recommended daily allowance of selenium. You won't be tempted to eat many, as they're bloody expensive. They're better than a selenium supplement, because like other nuts they contain a wide range of other nutrients.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Seconded.

• 9 years ago

I mean... bananas are radioactive. So yeah, I believe that.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

That's nuts!

• 9 years ago

I believe everything Stephen Fry tells me.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

I see you have been watching QI lol

• D
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

I wonder is that what makes them tasty.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.