Is the theme of the rock opera Tommy by The Who based on the New Testament?

As part of my reminiscence of my late teenage, I purchased this album and put it on my mp3 player and listened to it while working out in the gym. Near the beginning is the following about Christmas: "And Tommy doesn't know what day it is, he doesn't know who Jesus was, or what praying us; how can he... show more As part of my reminiscence of my late teenage, I purchased this album and put it on my mp3 player and listened to it while working out in the gym. Near the beginning is the following about Christmas: "And Tommy doesn't know what day it is, he doesn't know who Jesus was, or what praying us; how can he be saved from the eternal grave...". He experiences enlightenment and proclaims the gospel of pinball, and exhorts his followers to "get more in" to "become one of us".

So I wondered whether this was a take on the gospels that predated Jesus Christ Superstar and Godspell.